Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to the muffler shop in an hour. Which would you do. I am leaning towards gutted as I think there will be less of a chance of an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
267 Posts
According to a GM engineer we had at a meeting, removing the precasts will give you about 5 HP, another 2 HP can be gained by going to the 2002 intake cover, 2 more HP by going to K&N type air cleaner, and another 2 HP by moving the MAF screens. If you gut them will you eleminate all the restrictions in the exhaust?? If it not that much more you should remove them.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Gordy M, do you mean 're-moving' the MAF screens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No Mercy! said:
Mine was gutted. I had no codes or problems at all.
Good to hear that the mod doesn't throw codes. Thanks.
But, I'm still wondering if it will pass a sniff test in California.
So, did you notice a performance improvement? Did it change the sound?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am taking out my pup cats this Wednesday and hope for a slight HP gain and a tad louder sound.I will have pics of before and after if anyone cares:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
GaryZ06 said:
I am taking out my pup cats this Wednesday and hope for a slight HP gain and a tad louder sound.I will have pics of before and after if anyone cares:D
Yeah - I'm interested in hearing about your results.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think I'm gonna gut mine this weekend. I had it up on stands today and it looks like it would be pretty simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am curious? what does a person use to the gutting out of the pup cats? I have been wanting to do this but haven't figured out how to ???? thanks...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This might not be what you're looking to hear, but...

KevinB said:
Does anyone know if gutting the pup cats will cause the car to fail a smog test?
...Why not just throw some long tube headers on the car and ELIMINATE the pre-cats altogether?!

The HP gains are impressive with long tubes, and by the nature of them, the pre-cats are removed so that the long tubes will fit. So, you get the increased HP that the headers offer AND that the removed pre-cats offer.

And no, the headers & removed pre-cats don't throw codes or make for failed inspections (at least here in PA, where things aren't quite as bad as CA, but have gotten bad nonetheless).

I'd consider (hell, I WENT WITH) this option, especially since you all are looking to do a some modding and get more power from the car.

-Kirk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts