Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys have garage queens that do not get driven regulary?
Any thoughts on a pre-luber to make life easier on those bearings and such after sitting for a while?
Several of the Viper guys are going this route.
Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
fyrcaptain said:
Any of you guys have garage queens that do not get driven regulary?
Any thoughts on a pre-luber to make life easier on those bearings and such after sitting for a while?
Several of the Viper guys are going this route.
Thanks!
Not a garage queen but due to the ill design of oilpan, I installed a 2 quart AccuSump to fell better when racing.
The container is under pressure and I have a electronic on/off valve that I tied to a power switch, thus I can turn the sump on first, then turn ign key on and sump will act as a pre-oiler.
Finding a free spot to mount the sump was a real chore but I found lots of space behind rear of left front inner-well, behind the gill area. You can see what it looked like when I was installing it here: Rebel's Accusump

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Pre oiler / luber

teamzr1 said:
due to the ill design of oilpan, I installed a 2 quart AccuSump to fell better when racing.
The container is under pressure and I have a electronic on/off valve that I tied to a power switch, thus I can turn the sump on first, then turn ign key on and sump will act as a pre-oiler.
Finding a free spot to mount the sump was a real chore but I found lots of space behind rear of left front inner-well, behind the gill area. You can see what it looked like when I was installing it here: Rebel's Accusump
Thanks, thats what I was interested in. Its a shame that is the only place on a C5 to mount it though!
I was considering a pre-luber just to be on the safe side when the car might only be drivin 2-3 times a month in the winter. Apparently the act of start-up is pretty cruel to an engine when it has been sitting for a while and all of the oil has drained back into the pan, that short burst upon start-up with minimal at best lubrication can take its toll over time.

T

·
0 Posts
pre-oiler and oil sump

I would assume most racers would just install this type of sump in the cockpit area and turn on/off by hand but I did not what to hack in cockpit area so the real job was finding free airspace, and not having to run super long braided hoses, like somewhere in the back of the car.
Getting into that area is easy for there is just some screws holding the back inner fender.

Plumbing the braided hoses in was the biggest task, esp since I already had installed a heat exchanger to cool the motor oil and had to install the sump inline to cooler.

You'll sleep better knowing you have the sump in the background to protect the oil system when a low pressure issue arises but also using it for preoiling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts