Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect folks have asked this question before, but I have not found this info and would appreciate some help.

I have autocorssed vettes for some time, but now I will be doing a track day next month in my 2002 and would like to know what preparations I need to make.

I am curious if I need to change fluids from factory stuff to a better grade. Specifically, I am interested in transmission fluid, rear end lube and brake fluid.

If anyone can help I will appreciated it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just did my first track day at Summit Point in my 2004 after autocrossing it for a year. Same position as you.

Assuming your car is well serviced, all you should need is an extra half quart of oil to ensure adequate pick up in high-g corners. Some use a full quart. The car is pretty bullet proof and will hold up well on the track.

Some advocate a change in brake fluid--and track friendly pads. You can do your first track event without all of this with no harm, though. Your tranny fluid and rear end ought to be OK.

Have fun. Lime Rock? ;)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Jack,
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

I did change all my fluids out before my first DE and still think that is prudent. You will get lots of opinions on fluids here (or anywhere). If you are an aggressive driver, you can easily see oil temps of 300 degrees, get a tranny high temp warning which comes in at about 276, and who knows how hot the diff is, probably hotter than the tranny. Even good synthetics don't hold up forever at these temps. This is why most track hounds eventually get an oil cooler and many get a tranny cooler (I have both). You certainly don't need them for your first DE though. Go have fun out there.

I chose to run these (all of which meet GM specifications for the Z06):
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL ATF
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90

This comes in handy:
AMSOIL Hand Pump
Note: tranny will take about 3.75 quarts, and diff will take about 1.75 quarts.

AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

For brake fluid I use Wilwood EXP 600 Plus which is comparible to Motul RBF 600 in cost and performance, but is sold by an American company. Note: this fluid isn't a DOT 3 fluid, but I'm guessing your car isn't under warranty anymore anyway.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's on the other posts too, but an extra set of brake pads and maybe a set of rotors is a good thing to have handy. You most likely won't need them, but they are cheap insurance for a full weekend. Other than that, drive the crap out of it and learn a lot. Welcome to the real Corvette experience!!!!! :yeadog: :usa: :z: :thumb: :jammin:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Front rotors from NAPA would be good to carry along. Check your rotors every time after they have cooled down.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Welcome to :z:, Jack!
Good advice above.
Mr. Jubx2 has given you a starter set. You can search keywords and find more here.
I also do lo speed "parking lot) autoX and track hi-speed autoX.
Before I did my first DE (2-day driving school) I swapped out stock brake fluid to Motul 600, a DOT 4 fluid. Had Tony's Corvettes (<<<<<over there) do it, as I learned here that a complete change-out requires a Tech II equipment item.
I also added SpeedBleeders to make the bleeding process easier.
Brake heat is enemy # 1 for track time.
I have done about 6 DE days and keep a margin of safety, as I'm low on the learning curve and want to stay on the track! :jammin:
I haven't lost my brakes, and I bleed off a 24" bleed tube's worth of fluid after every track day. I've just done a DRM Brake duct install, with phoenix spindle mounts, but haven't run with it yet ... waiting to get my duct hoses (backordered) from DRM!. :roll:
I've seen 278 oil temp and haven't triggered a tranny temp signal.
I'll be swapping out trans and diff fluids this fall.
HTH.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys.. Thanks for the help. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I did 2 high speed autocrosses in the last month with the Z06 when I was not doing SCCA events in a D Mod car. The events were on big courses (80-90 seconds) with lots of running near the limiter.

One thing that surprised me was the oil usage. The car is a 2002 with 4K miles on it and I did not change the oil (proabbly a mistake). The car used about a quart over 1K miles and the 2 autocrosses. After that, I put Amsoil in it and will have extra oil in it at any DEs.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
What track will you be going to?

Expect to get a high tranny temp warning message. You'll feel a lot better knowing that you have the synthetic fluid in your tranny when the message comes up. At Lime Rock I get the message about 20 minutes into the session (on a cool day).

When the message shows up, just keep the car out of the lower gears for the rest of the session. Say 4th gear all the way around Lime Rock or NHIS, 4th/5th around The Glen.

Have fun!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Are there tutorials on changing the oil and tranny, diff fluids? I'm a total newbie when it comes to car maintenance, but also started attending DEs. I figure its a good time to learn how to do it myself. I have seen the FAQ on how to lift the car.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Do a search using "DIY differential change" keywords. You will find good information. The hardest part was getting car off the ground and somewhat level. You need a 10mm hex driver bit to undo the diff plugs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I did the search, but found nothing. Does anyone recall seeing a DIY for differential fluid change?

On a side note, what is the red sealant that is on the plugs? It looks like a threadlocker or possibly a high temperature red RTV to me. When you take these bolts off, is it necessary to put more thread "goo" on? I saw one guy used teflon tape, but will the tape hold up to the heat (300F on a track day)? Thanks! :eek:o:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I doubt teflon will be an issue, use the teflon pipe dope, brush on stuff, just thin no gobs.

BTW the cars a t Spring Mtn go through about 300-400 track miles each week, 100% bone stock. If it's not a hard braking track you should be fine without much car prep at all.

Look at the oil temp on about your 5th lap of each session, anything under 290 is normal and should be OK. If you stare at it you won't have as much fun and it takes about that long to reach it's peak unless you know the track and drive like Andy Pilgram, then you need to check on the 3rd lap. If it's high shift at about 6,200 torque really falls off around there, so there is not much point in revving here real high. The oil temps for me drop about 10-15 degs. This was pre-oil cooler days. I do like redline in the trans / diff but it's not necess for a weekend of just figuring the car out on a road course. It will shift better cold with redline as well.

You might also want to smile a bit more to get those muscles conditioned. The first weekend leaves you grinning from ear to ear:)........come to think of it they all do:):):)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Jack Hall said:
I suspect folks have asked this question before, but I have not found this info and would appreciate some help.

I have autocorssed vettes for some time, but now I will be doing a track day next month in my 2002 and would like to know what preparations I need to make.

I am curious if I need to change fluids from factory stuff to a better grade. Specifically, I am interested in transmission fluid, rear end lube and brake fluid.

If anyone can help I will appreciated it.
When and where is this DE? How do you register? Its sepaarate from the Fest so NCM does not handle it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
FYI: The new redline tranny fluid works phenomenally well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just installed the Amsoil ATF and although the change is very slight, I also think shifting is tad smoother. I probably wouldnt have noticed if I wasnt critically looking though. :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
ScDFACHE said:
FYI: The new redline tranny fluid works phenomenally well.
How do you know?

·
Registered
744 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
Front rotors from NAPA would be good to carry along. Check your rotors every time after they have cooled down.
Don't forget the NAPA rears. I've had rears crack, never fronts.

Cobalt Brake Pads = PM me if you need some, I've got extras). Good brake fluid a must.

If you get further into it - SS front caliper pistons, DRM ducts, oil and tranny coolers.

Brakes and heat management are overall keys. These babies will run hot, and brakes are always an issue for a car over 2750 lbs or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts