Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the National SCCA Pro Solo Championships results run in Topeka, Kansas this past weekend. (I was supposed to go but couldn't make it)

In Super Stock, Corvette swept the top 14 positions beating out Porshe Boxters and Mazda RX7 Twin Turbos.

'01 Z06's swept the top 8 spots with our own Dave Schotz coming in 5th.

'01 Z06's had the 11 of the top 12 spots.

I heard it was a real shoot out at the OK corral.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch out guys....

....in the Ladies Division of Super Stock 9 of 12 top spots were Corvettes.

5 of those 9 were Z06's and....

Z06's took the top 4 spots.

ALSO: in B Street Prepared 7 of 9 top spots were Corvettes and top 3 positions were Corvettes, beating out the BMW M3's.
No Z06's as this is where the older Vettes go to play.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That is a really impressive Z showing. Thanks for posting it.

Congratulations Dave Schotz!

Dave's 5th is a heck of an accomplishment given the competition. If a Pro Solo ever comes to your area, go watch your local autoctross hotshoes generally get *whooped*, or dive in..

I see that Dave is also entered in the Solo II national this week.

Hey Dave, when you get back.. How about some tips (alignment, etc) for setting a Z up for stock class autocross?

How do you launch on those autocross Hoosiers? Do you use the active handling? If not, where does it fall short for serious autocross? How often do you get to use WOT at a Pro Solo in your Z?

I'm chomping at the bit for the Super Stock results in the Solo II Championship. Those courses are typically larger than Pro Solo (around 60 vs. 30 seconds).

The stock Corvettes will run on Thursday and Friday this week. There is supposed to be a live webcast. See the new thread.

·
Registered
198 Posts
:cheers:

Hi Guys!!! Just got back from the 2001 Solo 2 National Championships!

It was a blast!!!

Going into the Pro Solo I was tied for First with Rob Falkner, and John Ames (Rob in a Boxster, Ames in another Z-06). Close behind was Erik Strelnieks in a Z-06.

At the end of the runs on Sunday I held on to Fifth in class, but More importantly 3rd for the Overall Pro Solo Championship Points. Erik took 1st (winning the event), and Ames took 2nd (Placing third at the event but ahead of me. :( Falkner in the Porsche was 9th I believe at the event, which gave him 4th for the year End.

Unfortunately Saturday morning first runs... we were in trouble... somewhere we messed up something with the alignment... and didn't catch it until it was too late... and thus had to hang on to a 5th place.

During our off days (Mon-Tue & Wed) we concentrated on trying to get it dialed back in before the National Championship on Thur & Fri.

After the disaster on Tuesday... I was more content with just going home... (it didn't help that my car wasn't working right... and then to add this catastrophe... was just to much).

I decided to stick it out and wait for a ruling... Wed night... they said Nationals would resume... but it would only be a 3 run deal... instead of a 6 run two day deal.

We made changes to the car... and could only hope they were in the right direction (with no place to test safely or legally! ;)

Friday morning my Co-Driver... Lori Robertson was in the first run group in the SS Ladies. The car was HORRIBLE! She was very upset... and dissapointed... there was nothing we could do the event was running so quickly it was just a bite the bullet... and finish the event... we made a few small changes to try to get the rear to stay BEHIND the car! ;) But it wasn't working... She had a run good for 5th... but hit a cone... and so had to stand on her first run... settling for 7th!

Well I had about 15mins for my runs... so I went and topped the car off... hoping that might help a bit... (Not things you want to do when you are at the Biggest Solo2 race of the year!)

Car was still loose... but a bit more driveable... and I was able to squeak out a 2nd Place finish for the Solo 2 National Championship! 3 tenths back of 1st... It was a great event, and I learned a ton!

I got to meet Jose Gonzales in Topeka, and Jim Howard. Both Z-06 members! It was great getting to chat with both!!!

Sorry so long!

Glad to be back!!! :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fantastic Dave, Congratulations! :D:D

2nd in that competition is really amazing.

I've seen Ames drive his old Saleen Mustang and he was super smooth and fast.. It is my recollection that he was not a left foot braker.

Can you say roughly what percentage of the drivers are left foot braking these cars? Do you?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know if Ames left foot brakes or not... A lot of people ask me that question... I do left foot brake.

However... those who do not, I don't think are any slower/faster... it is just a driving style... when I road Race... I do not left foot brake (obviously because much more shifting is involved)

Generally when someone attempts to make a conscientous effort to left foot brake, I find they 'drag' the brake. They then start to rely on the brake as a 'crutch'. I would recommend riding with someone good in your region and paying attention to braking points, and driving habits, (wheel turn in etc..) these are generally more beneficial than deciding to left foot brake.

I had to fight with my dad for a long time to get him to quit left foot braking... he didn't believe me that he was continually dragging the brake... Well in October of '99 he bought a 2000 Audi S4... and we started racing it together... Well guess what.. this car has a nifty (actuallly a pain in the ass) little device... that if your foot is on the brake for more than 3 seconds, while also on the throttle... it KILLS the POWER!!! Every other run... my Dad would come in upset that the car died on him (at first he blamed the fuel), but it never happened to me! :eek:

So this is what finally convinced him, that he wasn't able to just brake, and go... and that he would have a hidden tendancy to drag the brake! Once he started right foot braking... he immediately was shaving time because he was trusting the car a bit more... knowing that he had to take his foot off the brake to get on the gas! ;)

Sorry so long... but in other words... Left foot braking isn't a good or a bad thing... it is a driving style. If you left foot brake... be sure to check and see that you aren't draggin the brake... maybe have a friend watch your runs... and see where your lights are on at. A common 'crutch' for left foot braking is in Slaloms'!

Peace,

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts