Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i had an even happen today, i was driving around down town jacksonville this morning, second gear, when i heard a loud rattling or poping sound, i turned down the radio and it was coming from my car. Then about a 100 ft. latter the car started shuting off, as i was rolling down the road, i tryed to re start it but nothing really happend so i rolled to a stop.. then i tryed to restart it about 3 times real quick and the car kind of sputtered and poped a few time, then nothing when i turned the key. So the car stoped and i got out and white smoke was coming out from under the hood,a good bit off it too, and as far as i can remember i didnt see any smoke coming out of the tail pipes or rear of the car. I got the car off the road and it poped the hood, there was white smoking coming from the intake and drives side valve cover, i took the plastic valve cover off and it looked like about an 8 in section of the gasget around the valve cover had come off, completly out so there was a big gap, then the gasget went back into place the rest of the was around the valve cover as far as i could see.

Any one know what could have caused this or what kind of damage it did? I had the car towed back to my house and its parked in the drive way, im not sure what to do with it yet. Iv got another car to drive so im in not hurry to fix it, plus im sure its not going to be cheap.

Does any one know what happens when a gasget comes off like that, does it cause other damage, i did try to restart it several times. And my car is an 02 z06 with 70 miles on it, bought it used at 49k, never had any other motor problems before, but i dont know about before i bought it.

Im open to any advice or ideas right now, any comments would be great, thanks. :cry: (my poor poor car)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe she was trying to tell you that Cardinals selected a new pope. :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. On a serious note, I am not sure what would have caused that to happen. Could have just a bad gasket. Did you notice what your oil pressure was or what the temperature readings were right before this happened? I'm guessing you don't have a warranty of any kind. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that may have an answer for you.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
What is the oil level and what was the water temperature at the time? :eek:o:

·
21,378 Posts
I don't have any idea what it is but it sure doesn't sound good from what you've described! Sounds like it's time to visit the doc!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Looks like you already know what happened...you blew a head gasket. The white smoke was more than likely coolant burning off. Take it to a shop and have them pull the head and replace the gasket and then change the plugs just in case they got fouled. Hope I'm right and that's all that's wrong. :cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt look at the tem or oil pressure...i checked the oil level at there was oil in it. What else could i have damaged, like rings or anything?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
02PdiddyZ06 said:
I didnt look at the tem or oil pressure...i checked the oil level at there was oil in it. What else could i have damaged, like rings or anything?

How's your coolant level? Also, pull the plugs on the drivers side and see what they look like. When you check the oil...does it look creamy or milky?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
case2307 said:
How's your coolant level? Also, pull the plugs on the drivers side and see what they look like. When you check the oil...does it look creamy or milky?
No the oil looks normal color, and the coolent is full too. I didnt check the plugs though..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any one got any last suggetions before i have this beast halled up to chevy? :bmad: :cry:

·
Registered
509 Posts
nutbush said:
You have an 02 with 70 miles...hmmm.....Could a moderator check this guys I.P. and see if it's not on the banned list.
I am pretty sure it was a typo...if you read the rest of his story he says he bought the car with 49K.

"And my car is an 02 z06 with 70 miles on it, bought it used at 49k, never had any other motor problems before, but i dont know about before i bought it. "

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Banned list? Im just trying to find out whats wrong with my car? I was asking for some help, thats all, since when do i get banned for that?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
02PdiddyZ06 said:
Banned list? Im just trying to find out whats wrong with my car? I was asking for some help, thats all, since when do i get banned for that?
Calm down...My bad. It's just that on occasion we have trolls that come in here with some story to get us all worked up. I must have misread the wording in your post because I had a hunch you might be one of those. My appologies, good luck with your car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: BAD NEWS, shows you how much i know about cars, i was sayin head gasket, when it was the valve cover gasket :( :bang:
But any way, this guy that works for gm came over and looked at the car, he started it and it acutally started but it sounded really bad, then the bad news, theres definantly some internal problems, bent rode, somthing he said, the motor needs to be dropped to find out exactly what. :cry: :cry: :puke: :flaming: :ity: :cen: :bang: :mah: thats about how i feel... im not sure what im going to do, but its not going to be on the road any time soon :cry: so much for that summer road trip...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bummer dude but look on the bright side if you need an engine you could put in a stroker :sneaky: . Hope it gets straitened out fast for you LOL

·
Registered
844 Posts
Also check your PCV Valve. Take it out and shake it. You should hear the check ball rattling around. When a PCV Valve sticks, pressures builds up inside the engine. Good luck. I think this is the first I've heard of this. :eek:o:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please excuse my ignorance, but where is the pcv valve on my car :eek::

1 - 17 of 17 Posts