Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've added Nology spark plug leads together with BERU Silverstone plugs. Box is stamped with S 1K 120 - 001 - 010.

We had gapped to 0.05 ... but had a bad stumble.

After talking to Nology ... we changed that spark gap to 0.044 ... and added a Nology Grounding Wire ... going from the right hand capacitor bank to a grounding bolt near the bottom of the battery, where two other ground wires already were attached.

At first the car felt fine ... but now we are getting a bad stumble, hesitation, especially under initial acceleration.

Car is set up as a SCCA SS class car ... and we have a race this coming weekend ... and we need to solve this problem now.

I'm going to first go back to the oem spark plub leads.

We are in CA ... with our 91 octane gasoline.

Any suggestions, ideas ... should we try more octane ? Are these plugs colder then stock? We're busy with work so we don't have a lot of time to experiment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pulled the Nology wires and replaced with the oem wires ... and the misfire is gone. :roll:

Left the grounding wire in place ... is the a good idea ?

Has anyone else had any experience with the Nology spark plug leads ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have never heard of anyone using nology. I usually run tr55 non platinum plugs and a good plug wire. I personally use MSD wires. Msd now has a coil pack rack too if you are looking for optimum spark.
-matt

·
Registered
123 Posts
Okay, Mako, I'll bite.
Why did you change the OEM plugs and wires in the first place? Were you having problems?
Usually the stock stuff works pretty good. And if you are trying to keep the car legal for stock, don't get too far off the beaten path; or at least don't advertise on the web.
Brian might have some reservations about you "using more octane" and such, so keep a low profile, O.K.?
When are you guys gonna BEAT Brian, anyhow? Don't make me come up there...

Good luck, and have fun! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Been there, done that!

I would not recommend going too far afield on heat range. It will definitely make your beast cold blooded and ill tempered.

Warp 10 Always!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ... but SCCA Tech Meister Doug Gil posted a long message on the SCCA board saying that our locally available 100 octane pump gas at certain 76 stations is legal for stock classes ... do you disagree ? We were thinking of adding a few gallons to pump the 91 to around 93+.

We were just trying to max out what you can do, ie. more "powerful" spark plug leads. The Nology "Monster Cable" leads weren't Vette specific ... they were quite long ... and obviously, "didn't work." :puke:

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Makofoto said:
Pulled the Nology wires and replaced with the oem wires ... and the misfire is gone. :roll:

Left the grounding wire in place ... is the a good idea ?

Has anyone else had any experience with the Nology spark plug leads ?
You should PM DJ Worm he has used this set up, and will give you info on it. How did the Beru plugs work with stock wires? Does it feel smooth now?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The S1K Beru Silverstone Plugs are correct, #120-001-010, heat range 4-6, 14mm, 0.7" reach, 5/8" hex and tapered seat. They should be gapped at .050".

If you have not dropped or damaged the plug(s) in shipping or installation, the problem is in the wires.

The Nology CD Hot Wires should be #01-118-101.

Either the wrong wire or poor grounding will cause the problem you have. Most common is poor grounding of the actual CD wire to the head. Secondarily is the grounding of the head/engine to the frame. I recommend using Nology's HD Universal grounding strap(s).

If you have used the wrong wire (too long) you may have increased resistance or induced faulty timing of the Capacitive Discharge pulse.

I would also test the plugs to be sure you do not have a bad one. Rough handling, dropping one or overtorquing one can cause microscopic insulator cracks and increased resistance.

If you cannot get the correct wires and/or solve the grounding problem I would reinstall the OEM wires with the Beru plugs and regap to 0.050". Another alternative is (non CD) Magnecor KV85 race wires.

Note the installation of the Nology CD Hotwires Capacitor Ground and Grounding Straps must be meticulous. You should lightly sand all contact points, make sure they are clean (using an electronic cleaning aerosol) and use dielectric grease and make sure they are tight. In addition all conections should be primary (ie. should not rely on another structural/mechanical connection).

I have also seen one instance of the wires being installed backwards !!

Nology also has a neat little PRO Tester ignition system tester which I have found invaluable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Watched some magazine guys play with the Nology stuff on a Cobra motor. No gains whatsoever. They look cool, but other than that a total waste of $ on that car IMO. The stock wires work just fine.

Also did some testing on plugs, the Denso iridiums and NGKs finished 1-2. We don't need either on a stock compression ratio Z, but as compression or boost go up there is a big difference in these plugs compared to the other popular ones we tested on an MSD test machine. We did not test the Beru, so I have no clue on those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts