Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to take care of the light scratches that have appeared quite numerously in my black z. I'm not sure of the correct term to use for these scratches (light scratches or spiderwebbing or swirl marks). They apear as light scratches and most of them are in a circular type arrangement. They are not very deep (can't feel with a finger nail), but they are numerous. They are a result of poor washing and polishing techniques that I have since corrected, but now I'm trying to repair the clearcoat. I've washed with dawn, clay bared, and applied a coat of 3m product 39009. The 'scratches' seemed to have been hidden slightly, but are still rather noticable.
My question is, should I apply multiple coats of the 3m 39009, should I now move into Zainoing the car ( z1, z5, z2), or if being what I've already done has not taken care of the scratch/swirl/spiderweb problems should I seek out a professional detailers help. (I am rather new to proper car care). Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
first-I doubt it's anything you did, I read a post every day about somebody trying to get rid of "spider" marks in the paint! let's face it, GM didn't put the best paint on the C5's!

I used an orbital on mine and it looks great! Basically, you need to go down into the clearcoat to get rid of them, but you don't want to go tooo far.

You could clay bar/polish/wax first and see if the polish and wax are enough to fill them in. If not-then orbital:thumb:

If you are going to the fest, a few of us will have our orbitals there

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thin coat(s) of Z5 will do wonders for your problem. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'd go with the Adam's Scratch Remover and the orbital buffer as Leslie mentioned.....It works wonders. I've seen it remove many a nasty clear coat scratch.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
EFI-1 said:
I'd go with the Adam's Scratch Remover and the orbital buffer as Leslie mentioned.....It works wonders. I've seen it remove many a nasty clear coat scratch.
yehp! I have never used the Adams scratch remover, but if it's as good as their other products, it will definitely do the job!

bottom line-you need to go into the clear coat JUST a little bit, remove the outer layer where the spider scratches are, then polish, then wax:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all

Thanks much for the advice! Just a quick question about buffers. If a buffer is used on my car am I going to see swirl marks or any other undesireable effects. If I need to use a buffer, I'll be using my friends who owns a small detail shop. I'm not sure what kind it is, but I do know he said its a high quality 'expensive' product and he does have alot of experience using it.

I've just always felt awkward using a buffer on my car, can anyone ease my mind on this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's some better detail on my last post about the orbital.

A friend of mine has done quite a bit of detailing at his familys used car/detailing business. He has a dewalt orbital that he details his cars with. He said he could first wash the car, then use a radiant wax with the proper pads on the dewalt orbital, then use a very good carnuba wax that he would apply by hand.

Does this sound like a safe alternative for my car if i can't get the stuborn spiderwebbing out with my washing, scratch filling and polishing? Any experiences or advice on this procedure that you have would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
RBKiller said:
Here's some better detail on my last post about the orbital.

A friend of mine has done quite a bit of detailing at his familys used car/detailing business. He has a dewalt orbital that he details his cars with. He said he could first wash the car, then use a radiant wax with the proper pads on the dewalt orbital, then use a very good carnuba wax that he would apply by hand.

Does this sound like a safe alternative for my car if i can't get the stuborn spiderwebbing out with my washing, scratch filling and polishing? Any experiences or advice on this procedure that you have would be much appreciated. Thanks

All you really need is a good scratch remover using a PC (porter cable). You should clay bar first and then use a good scratch remover with a PC. It should remove all the "spider web" scratches. Then you can use a polish and put a final coat of your favorite wax.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is excellent for removing fine scratches. 3M also makes a Foam Polishing Pad Glaze that I use on dark colors to remove swirl marks and fine scratches. It can be used with a buffer or PC polisher with foam pad installed. The 3M product line of finishing supplies are industry standard used at most paint and body shops. Paint supply stores in your area will probably have 3M products in stock or you can obtain them on line. Give them a try. Alway use these products on a cool surface.

I have no connection to 3M of any kind but have used there products for over twenty years and have found them to be excellent for new paint or paint restoration.

D.J.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Any car will have these "scratches". Any black or dark colored car will show them. EFI-1 is right, use a high quality scratch or swirl remover. For quicker results use a random orbit buffer, but don't be aggressive. You want to take as little as possible off the car. Make sure you go back with a high quality wax/polish like Adam's. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts