Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooling System Problem???

Yesterday after doing some very spirited driving, I dropped about a gallon of coolant. We added about half a gallon of prestone/water mix and it was still low. So we added another half gallon or so of water. This has never happened to me and I thought a hose or something had busted. Upon further inspection we noticed that it all came out the top. Now, what was weird to me is that when we pulled the cap off it was pretty loose. (It didn't take much force to twist.) Is there something that I did wrong or do you just think that the cap being loose caused it to flow out? :-? :-? :-?

I am going to go this week and have the system flushed and refilled. Is there a chance that any damage was done, or will it be OK

·
Registered
475 Posts
If the cap was loose, then there was no pressure and it boiled out @ 212F. Did it overheat? Be careful what chemical you use to flush your engine.

Chas.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I'm not going to flush, I'm going to take it to the dealer to get it done.

No it didn't overheat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
loosing a gallon of coolant is a lot but as long as it didn't overheat you should be fine .I think it was just a bad cap, If I were you I would put a new cap on it and see how it goes If the cooling system is not dirty why flush the engine, you just lost coolant , some of the chemicals they use are powerful , and forget going to the dealer JMHO don't set me on fire
Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is it a bad idea to have the cooling system flushed?

Total I added about 3/4 water and about 1/4 of coolant. I just don't know if it will happen again. I've been kind of scared to DRIVE it for fear of that happening again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
z06_23_45 said:
So is it a bad idea to have the cooling system flushed?

Total I added about 3/4 water and about 1/4 of coolant. I just don't know if it will happen again. I've been kind of scared to DRIVE it for fear of that happening again.
Here is what I would do. I would just top it off with coolant, change the cap for a new one. Then I would fire her up in my driveway and bring her up to operating temp and check for leaks . If I found no leaks I would then drive it for a few day's keeping a constant eye on the temp gage and the coolant level .If the temp stays in the normal range and the coolant level holds great . If (and as soon as ) I see the coolant level drops or she gets hotter than normal then I would take it to a professional and have it flushed and checked out thoroughly . All that being said it is what I would do and by no means is it what I am saying you should do. I hate letting anyone except the VETT DRS on Long Island work on my Vette so I do most of the work on my Vette myself and I take what I think is a common sense approach. IT L GO thinks your approach is the way to go ( I think ttt stands for thats the ticket if I am wrong please correct me ) and you know what he is a smart guy and I would seriously consider what he said This is your $50,000 ride and you have to decide what you can sleep with. Confidence in your ride and being able to sleep at night is PRICELESS JMHO
P.S. You never said what year VETTE and what the mileage is . If you have a lot of miles on it then FLUSH it

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OLDGUY said:
Confidence in your ride and being able to sleep at night is PRICELESS JMHO
P.S. You never said what year VETTE and what the mileage is . If you have a lot of miles on it then FLUSH it
That's the thing, I don't have the confidence to get on it now without the fear of it happening again. Who knows maybe I'm a bit :screwy:.

It is an 02 w/23000 miles on the clock.

I didn't know it was that big of a deal to get the cooling system flushed.

What are the pros and cons of flushing the cooling system?

·
Registered
259 Posts
z06_23_45 said:
That's the thing, I don't have the confidence to get on it now without the fear of it happening again. Who knows maybe I'm a bit :screwy:.

It is an 02 w/23000 miles on the clock.

I didn't know it was that big of a deal to get the cooling system flushed.

What are the pros and cons of flushing the cooling system?
It's not a big deal, and your not:screwy: I personally don't like using chemical cleaners in aluminum engines and radiators . A lot of knowledgeable guys have no problem with it it's just my personal choice. A VETTE or any car with 23,000 miles on it should not need to be flushed in my humble opinion unless something has gone seriously wrong with the cooling system .If you have lost confidence in the car then by all means have it checked by a professional if they tell you to flush it then flush it and if you need to take it to the dealer for piece of mind do it . Like I said you need to have confidence in the car and be able to sleep well with your decision Piece of mind will be there well after the cost is forgotten
Bob :cheers:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Keep an eye on the temp. Your kinda describing the symptoms my car had last month when the waterpump failed.

First thing I noticed was I came out of a restaurant and noticed water in the ground in front of the car.

I never noticed the temp getting hot but I wans not paying attention to the guage and it must have and it boiled over.

When I thought about it later I had been sitting in traffic for a while before I turned it off.

A few days later the pump failed.

Just watch the temp closely and for anymore signs of overflow.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The temp was up to 227 degrees in some stop and go traffic. This is normal though, and there was no overflow. Also, a buddy of mine told me that the reason that could have happened is that I was running pretty hard and then shut it off right after. Is this true? Could shutting it off right after you run it hard cause this?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You mentioned Prestone Antifreeze :NoNo: ....did you mix Prestone with Dexcool ?(the GM Antifreeze) If so you need to at least drain it and start over for sure. GM says to use Dexcool and not to mix it with any other type of antifreeze. A new Radiator Cap is a must too :ity: Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maineyak_2000 said:
You mentioned Prestone Antifreeze :NoNo: ....did you mix Prestone with Dexcool ?(the GM Antifreeze) If so you need to at least drain it and start over for sure. GM says to use Dexcool and not to mix it with any other type of antifreeze. A new Radiator Cap is a must too :ity: Good Luck :cheers:

Yes I did use Prestone. It was all I had at hand. I figured it was better than nothing. Was I wrong in doing this?

So does this mean that now I definitely have to get it flushed?

Also, why do I need a new radiator cap?

:-? :-? :-? :-?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts