Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again

well... i give up. I can't figure out how to take out that "T" pin that holds down the stock shifter knob. It is just jammed in there, i tried prying it out with a flat screw driver, and i almost stabbed myself in the face. i tried gripping it with a vise grip...not happening...i spent over 1 hour on this getting no where,

so any thoughts or tricks? is there a "GM" specific tool that will take this out...

or do I have to bring my car to "monster garage" and have Jesse James rip it out with the plasma torch...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got some good advice from this site before I changed mine and it works great. Take a pair of vise grips and clamp them tight on the pin, then hammer upwards on the vise grips. Popped out very easily.

Kurt

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Some of these keys are really pounded in. Mine was extremely difficult to remove. I ended up taping the shift knob up to protect the leather, installed the vise grips as tight as I could get them, and then pried it loose with the longest screwdriver I had (using the vise grips as the pivot point). Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Infamous "Demon Pin" :eek:o:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get a good grip on it with vice grips. tap the vice grips right to left with a hammer while pulling up on the vice grips with the non-hammer weilding hand. It's worked many times in the past for me.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Yes, Jesse's method works when all else fails, but sounds like you have some good tips mentioned above. When I got mine out, I put it in the slingshot and fired it as far as I could out in the woods! :guiness: :cheers: Will never see it again. :)

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Two large flat screwdrivers on either side of the pin, will work. Just pry the pin using both screwdrivers together from the sides. You don't need the vise-grips at all.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, once again, thanks to this forum, I was able to get my stock shifter knob off, without severely injuring myself, nor damaging the interior of my Z either.

I sprayed a tiny bit of lubricant into the pin area, let that settle a couple mins. Then i tried prying it off with two flat screw drivers on each side, it didn't work, so i tried to pry it off with the vise grip + screw driver combo, didn't work, so then i tried vise grip + a couple shots with hammer, that didn't work.

I paused, cursed a bit ...

tryed again with the 2 flat screw drivers on each side... AND IT FINALLY POPPED OFF... wow... what a relief, i felt like i just won a gold medal.

thanks all.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Man, that sucker musta been on there gutantite!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
exSSer said:
Man, that sucker musta been on there gutantite!
They don't call it the "Demon Pin" for nothing :lol:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
rpallas said:
Yes, Jesse's method works when all else fails, but sounds like you have some good tips mentioned above. When I got mine out, I put it in the slingshot and fired it as far as I could out in the woods! :guiness: :cheers: Will never see it again. :)

Bob :D
That's too funny. :lol:

·
Registered
882 Posts
If someone really pounded it in there you may need to buy a new shift knob. :eek::

And then get a Dremel tool with a cutting disk and just cut it off. Take a pair of channel locks if the plastic form refuses to give it up. :flaming:

Then deal with the demon key. The front half of the shaft is open. Should come right out with a screwdriver, and a little pounding with a hammer. :pp:

Or so I have heard. :cen:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Forgot to add -- do not use the key on the install. :NoNo:

Instead add three layers of Teflon tape, screw the shift knob down and it will be correctly positioned without any further movement. :)

Further use of the demon key will be detrimental to your mental health. :eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used Vicegrips, and fed a long flathead screwdriver through the mouth of the vicegrips once clamped on the pin. Then I utilized an 8 inch 2X4 with rags all around it, and the dash area to prevent gouging the controls...

Lay the flat end of the screwdriver on the wood which u cam rest on the side of the shifter area.
Lift the screwdriver while holding the vicegrips. This technique allows you to get leverage and multiply the effort. The vicegrips will most likely pop off a few times, but by the 4th time, the pin will pop out...

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
mannygmt2 said:
Hi again

i tried prying it out with a flat screw driver, and i almost stabbed myself in the face.

or do I have to bring my car to "monster garage" and have Jesse James rip it out with the plasma torch...
:lol: :lol: I laugh now because you've now gotten it out. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts