Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 2001 Z06. what are some problems specific to this year. I have been told the clutch, and oil consumption are some.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Depends - nothing is universal. A percentage of '01's had oil burning issues due to faulty rings. There are also recalls for a rocking driver's seat (I think this may affect '02 / '03 as well, not sure).

I had the rocking seat and had it fixed under warranty. I've had no oil burning problems at all. Using less than 1 quart every 2K miles. As I said, it's just a certain percentage of '01's.

Al

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Happy with my 01 too

No problems with my '01 either. No oil consumption issues, no steering lock issues, etc. It's been exceptionally reliable. Maybe my car was built on the day that GM handed out bonuses to the factory employees, but all I can say is if you find a good '01 at the right price, don't hesitate to buy.

Good Luck!

Greg W
'01 QS

·
Registered
43 Posts
Like purchasing any high peformance vehicle, do your homework. Ask a lot of questions. Definately use that vin to get the history and repairs done to it. Do your due diligence and you can find a diamond in the ruff. I did, she just turned 14k miles and she's kinda rare.
Aldo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Steering Lock Recall

Keyser56,

You PM'd me to get more information about the steering column lock recall, but I thought I'd post a reply back into the public forum to help you out.

You asked for details on the steering column lock problem and fortunately I have not had any first hand knowledge of the problem. I only know about what I've read here on the Z06 forum and a service bulletin I found on the Alldata website.

Do a search on this site for "Steering column" or Steering Lock" and you should be able to pull up some good info. Or, post another question in this forum and I'm sure a bunch of owners will jump in to explain exactly what the problem was and how it is fixed.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Greg W.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
2001 Z06's are the bargin of the century at this point.

That said...if you can...buy an 02...they have the hud and its a cool option.

·
Registered
968 Posts
02s are also a bargain,as well as 03-04 soon to be! You will pay for any used sports car as follows= MILES and CONDITION! Very low miles will bring more as the cond. should be showroom new. Enjoy but keep the car pristine! :yeadog:

·
Registered
509 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
2001 Z06's are the bargin of the century at this point.

That said...if you can...buy an 02...they have the hud and its a cool option.
And a little more hp...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
01's a great buy, especially if you plan on doing any engine mods. ( and I have seen some cheap 02s and 03s. Good luck with your search) Still lov'in my 01 :thumb:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I wouldn't discount buying an '01....especially if you're going to mod. I had my ring problem fixed at 800 miles and have spent about $8K on mods...AFR heads, Cam, LG Headers, 3:90 gears (great mod!). 410RWHP. Great bang for the buck.
So a low mileage '01 when you mod it will be just like any other later year modded Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts