Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has come to my attention that General Motors is INDEED monitoring these posts, but not really sure what that means.

Oh well.

The previous two parts of these posts are in the "Dealer Experiences" section of this forum.

This is the update so far.

My attorney and I have parted ways because it appears that it upset him and GM that I have posted everything that is going on with this case.

Why that would bother him, who knows...But so be it. My confidence in his abilities and recommendations was just about shot anyway.

As you know, I authorized General Motors one “FINAL” repair attempt to correct the 18 or more non-conformities that exist with my vehicle per NC Statute 20-351.5. General Motors was informed of this in your letter dated December 10, 2001. In the letter letter, it was stated that the vehicle would be made available for repairs to start on December 11, 2001. It was also restated that NC 20-351.5 allows General Motors not more than 15 calendar days for this “Final” repair to be completed. The period for this “Final” repair to be completed started on December 11, 2001 and is due to expire on December 25, 2001.

The non-conformities that were presented (as also stated in my letter to General Motors on July 24, 2001) were:

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles.
2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of 2nd gear sometimes
3. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the rear differential or transmission
4. Suspension making clunking noises
5. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL.
6. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side
7. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles
8. Deck lid rattles
9. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes
10. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights.
11. Mufflers rattling
12. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use
13. Memory feature sometimes will not work
14. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18 mph average at 60 – 70mph**
15. Front console cover distorted and misaligned (2nd complaint)
16. Brake rotors starting to warp
17. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds
18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment. (1st complaint)
19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct
20. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective
21. Loud Whining Noise coming from rear of vehicle at idle (Differential or Transmission.)
22. Passenger Seatbelt Jams

I have kept a log of the repair progress and what I was told by the personnel at Performance Chevrolet.

Tuesday, December 11, 2001. (Calendar Day 1)

I was informed by Scott Lewis that he went over the ticket with Chris Kimball (Shop Foreman) and explained all the problems to him. I also was informed that no other work was completed on the vehicle.

Wednesday, December 12, 2001. (Calendar Day 2)

I was informed that the car was test driven by the staff and that it was determined that the “Clunking” noise (Problem #4) was possibly caused by one of the rear brake cables hitting the rear wheels on suspension load change. I was told it was determined that when Sir Walter Chevrolet had performed the previous transmission repair, the brake cable/s were not installed back into their retainer brackets properly and that due to this fact, the brake cable/s were constantly rubbing up against the rear wheels of the vehicle.

I was also told that the engine had been removed from the vehicle as well as the front and rear suspension assemblies, exhaust system, transmission, differential, torque tube and drive shaft as well as other miscellaneous components. I was told that transmission parts, seat belt, as well as other miscellaneous parts were ordered for the vehicle.

Thursday, December 13, 2001. (Calendar Day 3)

I was informed that the secondary oil control rings were replaced in the engine and that they were in the process of reassembling the engine.

Friday, December 14, 2001. (Calendar Day 4)

I paid a visit to Performance Chevrolet and took photographs of the work in progress as well as to speak with staff about the progress of the work on my vehicle.

The engine of my vehicle was on an engine stand in the open and not covered. One of the heads was off the engine and was on a cart while the other head was attached to the engine with no valve cover attached. There was some carbon buildup on the pistons as well as a couple of valves of the nonattached head. I asked about this and was told that this is normal and nothing to worry about. I was concerned that the engine’s internal components were exposed and not protected in any fashion.

I took photographs and was told that the transmission was in the back and they had just started to be disassembled it. I was told that some parts had been ordered for the transmission but they were unsure as to what exactly had been ordered. I photographed the transmission housing laying on a bench as well as various gear and internal parts strewn about in no apparent order. There was a large oil stain on the transmission and I was told that part of my leaking (Problem #3) was coming from the area of the oil stain. It was determined that during the previous transmission repair by Sir Walter Chevrolet, they did not re-seal the transmission properly upon reassembly.

I asked about the rear facia (Problem #6) and was told that they agreed that it did indeed seem to be sagging or warped on the passenger side as stated but they felt that it was a normal trait. They said they were not 100% sure, but more than likely this would not be repaired/replaced. I asked why I had photographs of other Corvettes including my 2000 all of which have the same rear facia and that they did not have this problem. Could they still say that this was normal for the Corvette? I received no answer.

I asked about the crack in the body panel (Problem #5) and was told that this was an issue that would be corrected under warranty but they had no idea who or when it would be done. I was told that they did not have the facilities to complete the work on that issue.

I was told that they were going to fix the seat belt and the interior console trim piece and that the parts were ordered to complete these issues (Problems #22 and 15)

I was shown where the rear brake cable had been damaged by rubbing against the rear wheels.

Saturday, December 15, 2001 (Calendar Day 5)

No work was performed.

Sunday, December 16, 2001. (Calendar Day 6)

No work was performed.

Monday, December 17, 2001 (Calendar Day 7)

I was told that the engine was in the process of being placed back into the vehicle. I was told that no other work was performed due to that they were waiting on parts to arrive.

Tuesday, December 18, 2001 (Calendar Day 8)

I was told that they intended on replacing the 2nd gear & synchro, reverse gear & synchro, and the shift fork in my transmission. I was told that they received the 2nd gear replacement part and it had arrived with a chipped tooth so they had to order another part. I was told that the engine was now in the vehicle and all the wiring harnesses were connected. I was told that sometime during the previous week that the rotors had been resurfaced on the car to correct the brake rotor warping (Problem #16.) I was told that no other work could be performed due to that they were waiting on parts. I was also told that they WOULD NOT fix the passenger side seat cracking (Problem #12), the rear facia warping/sagging (Problem #6) and the wheel finish damage (Problem #10) I asked who made these decisions and I was told that it was a joint decision of the service manager and shop foreman of Performance Chevrolet.

Wednesday, December 19, 2001 (Calendar Day 9)

I was told that they received the remaining ordered transmission parts and that the transmission is in process of being reassembled. They estimate that the transmission and remaining drive train components will be reassembled by the end of the day. I asked about the Z06 defective screen (Problem #20) and was told that it was normal and that they would not fix it. I asked about the alignment, and tires (Problems #18 and 19) and was told that they have not determined what they will do if anything to correct these problems. I was also told that the seatbelt had not arrived.

This is the progress to date and I will continue keep log of the progress. Performance staff have stated that they estimate that they will be finished with what work they plan to do on the vehicle by tomorrow.

I contacted Ms. Whitt at General Motors (The lady who is handling the case..AKA BRC Legal Case Manager).

I sent her the following letter:

December 19, 2001

General Motors Business Resource Center
Attn: Dawn Witt
BRC Legal Case Manager
Fax: 1-866-359-9727

Ms. Witt,

I am writing this letter 1st to inform you that Mr. Postlethwait no longer represents me in this matter. At this point, I shall handle all future matters with this case.

2nd, I need to bring to your attention the following matters:

As you know, I authorized General Motors in good faith one “FINAL” repair attempt to correct the 18 or more non-conformities that exist with my vehicle. General Motors was informed of this in a letter dated December 10, 2001. In the letter, it was stated that the vehicle would be made available for repairs to start on December 11, 2001. It was also restated that NC 20-351.5 allows General Motors not more than 15 calendar days for this “Final” repair to be completed. The period for this “Final” repair to be completed started on December 11, 2001 and is due to expire on December 25, 2001.

The non-conformities that were presented (as also stated in my letter to General Motors on July 24, 2001) were:

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles.
2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of 2nd gear sometimes
3. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the rear differential or transmission
4. Suspension making clunking noises
5. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL.
6. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side
7. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles
8. Deck lid rattles
9. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes
10. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights.
11. Mufflers rattling
12. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use
13. Memory feature sometimes will not work
14. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18 mph average at 60 – 70mph**
15. Front console cover distorted and misaligned (2nd complaint)
16. Brake rotors starting to warp
17. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds
18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment. (1st complaint)
19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct
20. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective
21. Loud Whining Noise coming from rear of vehicle at idle (Differential or Transmission.)
22. Passenger Seatbelt Jams

I need further clarification of the following matters:

1. Why has Performance determined that the Rear Facia will NOT be repaired/replaced and that the warping/sagging that my facia exhibits is “Normal” for all Corvettes? I have photographs of other Corvettes with the same facia as well as my 2000 Corvette and that these vehicles DO NOT exhibit any warping or sagging instead they are symmetrical on both sides. Due to this, I do not feel that the sagging/warping is NORMAL and I expect this non-conformity to be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

2. Why has Performance determined that the rough and cracked texture of my passenger seat will NOT be repaired/replaced and that this is normal for all Z06 Corvettes? I have photographs of other Z06 Corvettes that DO NOT exhibit this difference between the passenger and drivers seats and I feel that this is NOT NORMAL for all Z06 Corvettes. Due to this, I expect that this non-conformity will be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

3. Why has Performance determined that the marred finish on my rims from the incorrectly factory installed wheel weights will NOT be repaired. I had shown this to Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, and that he told me that they would replace the affected rims under warranty. I expect the affect rims to be repaired/replaced along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

4. Why has Performance determined that the defective Z06 Screen on the passenger side will NOT be repaired/replaced and that the defective condition that my screen exhibits is “Normal” for all Z06 Corvettes? I have photographs of other Z06 Corvettes with the same screen and that these vehicles DO NOT exhibit this defective condition. This defective condition was brought to my attention by Donald Creech at Sir Walter Chevrolet and I in turn brought it to the attention of Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet. Mr. Edwards informed me that if I desired, he would have the screen repaired/replaced under warranty and that it was a warranty issue. Due to this, I do not feel that the defective condition of my screen is NORMAL and I expect this non-conformity to be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

5. Performance Chevrolet has stated that the cracked rear quarter panel WILL be repaired/replaced under warranty. They have stated that they do not know who or when this repair/replacement will be completed. Who will be completing this repair/replacement? I expect this non-conformity will be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

I am expecting the non-conformities that were presented to be corrected at the end of the 15 calendar day period on December 25, 2001. This is in accordance with NC Statute 20-351.5 and if the all the non-conformities are not corrected by this date or my vehicle exhibits any further problems, I will expect General Motors to REPLACE my vehicle in accordance with state and federal statutes.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

I have yet to receive a response.

I welcome any comments or recommendations any of you have about how I should proceed.

Thanks again
JLA

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
You have quite the laundry list there but a lot of them are just minor quality issues that most of us just accept as part of the total package.

I for one think that Dave Hill/GM has done an outstanding job offering us this exceptional package for the price and I am willing to accept some minor defects in exchage for having the chance to own this vehicle. Yea, my facia sags too, everyones does but we happily buy the $15 clips to fix it or just let it sag, its not that noticible. As for gas mileage, well, if I was concerned about that I would have bought a Honda.

I didn't create this site to make money, if I used that as a measure of success it would be a dismal failure :)

Rather, I was so enthralled by the return of the musclecars which I have not experienced since my 70 split bumper Camaro that I wanted to create a community and a resource for extreme performance enthusiasts. Since then, I have been turned on to the entire Corvette experience by my great friend Frank Calmes and have expanded this sites warmth and community feel to our other Corvette brothers.

When I go to a show and I see everyone gathered under our tent laughing and talking Vettes, and seeing our corrals filled with Corvettes, I get a huge sense of satisfaction and overwhelming sense of pride in what we all have built here (with special thanks to Frank, Les and all of our most excellent moderators).

None of this can ever be taken away by a few minor problems. Buying the car is only a small part of owning a Corvette... people are what give this car life and make it special. Focus on the brotherhood and everything else will seem trivial.........

JC

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please note the following from my 1st letter to GM:

I truly believe the Chevrolet Corvette is a great vehicle. During my trip to Bowling Green Kentucky during the C5 Birthday Bash, I had the opportunity to meet many of the people who are responsible for its creation, design and manufacture. I also traveled back to Bowling Green to witness the build and AUDIT process of my 2001 Corvette. All I can say is that they are the most impressive group of individuals I have yet met and I can see that they take great pride in creating a super vehicle.

It appears unfortunately AGAIN that my 2nd CORVETTE is having a number of problems that are not normal or the standard for the Chevrolet Corvette. It seems that most agree that GM is committed to customer satisfaction. I respectfully request your assistance in a swift resolution to this matter.

JLA

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Legally I must say that this site has no affiliation or connection with GM or Chevrolet and as such, has no influence or rapport with either entity.

We would like to be invited to the press gatherings though :)

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
JLA said:
I respectfully request your assistance in a swift resolution to this matter.
Sorry, that is not the business that this forum is into. GM has a protocol to be used in problem cases.

This web site is about community, we have no special ties to anyone at GM that can help you with your problems.

You probably should have listened to your lawyer and not posted everything about your case on the web. It's like throwing sh*t in the face of GM...and they don't take too kindly to that. :(

Best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FCalmes-

The quote in the above post was not directed at this forum or any of the other forums.

It was a quote from my initial letter to GM.

Nothing more, nothing less.

JLA

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just got off the phone again with Performance after having about a 1 hour conversation with Ms. Witt.

Turns out now that they WILL be replacing the leather on the passenger seat.

Thats good to hear.

The seatbelt came in and it was installed. The transmission man is to finish reassembling the transmission before he goes home tonight and it seems that they will reinstall it along with the other components tomorrow.

JLA

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Should this thread belong in the 'Dealer Experience' forum, along with the other two ?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can appreciate some defending GM/Chevy but I'm siding with JLA on this issue. Some of his complaints are somewhat minor but drinking oil and slurping fuel does not cut it with me; nor does the tranny issue of slipping out of gear/oil usage; nor the crack in a body panel/worn seat etc. I have a hard time accepting ANY oil usage but I change at 3k and unless I have been road racing, I don't think any usage is permissable. I'd live with less than expectations but will not be happy about it. A quart per 4-500 miles is outrageous.
The fuel economy in the Z is phenominal, and 16-18 at 60-70 mph is not normal/acceptable according to any one of us here I don't think. I took mine on a road trip of 1200 miles when it was still a baby with 500 miles on the clock and my average up was 27.3 and average back was 26.6 while travelling 75-85 mph (all interstate). I suspect most of us see those numbers and I think they are AWESOME. If JLA is getting 16-18 and the rest of us mid 20's, then I suspect JLA's car has a problem that needs to be rectified.
This post is certainly not an effort at getting into a pissing match...(I'd likely lose as I usually pee into the wind, something about being Norwegian I guess)...
Anyway, put yourself in JLA's position...would any of you be happy??
I know, BANG FOR THE BUCK...it's one helluva car and I love mine but if I (you?) were in JLA's position, what would your thoughtws be?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
gbjerke said:
Anyway, put yourself in JLA's position...would any of you be happy??
I know, BANG FOR THE BUCK...it's one helluva car and I love mine but if I (you?) were in JLA's position, what would your thoughtws be?
I wouldn't be, no. I might have have handled it a different way.

JLA has already been the through the buy back procedure on his last C5 so, probably for him, to go this route is in his best interest.

I hate to see a 'bad' car when there are so many good ones out there...the plants and the poeple and the engineers aren't perfect, but, there is a line we would all draw.

RG

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm on GM's side. His complaints (other than the oil use, which is also somewhat doubtful) are of the nit-picking variety.
This guy simply enjoys beating the system. When he gets the car back he will immediately claim it is worse than before and will use all his pseudo documentation to start another buy-back.

The real losers in this fiasco are people with legitimate lemon law claims, other honest Corvette owners and GM.

JLA uses the internet and forums such as this as a bullying tactic and I, for one, do not wish to be a part of his little charade. For that reason I have notified each of his victims of my opinions.

Thanks for keeping us so "well informed" JLA! :cheers:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Damn, I was not going to jump back in here, but "bibsuit", you made me do it.
First of all, I don't know JLA from adam and I took his post at face value. You, and maybe others feel he is using this as a preaching post and consider him a whiner. I don't know, and I posted before some of his complaints were minor in nature but you seem to dismiss them all as "nit picking" except for the oil consumption problem and you state that this is "somewhat doubtful". Not so sure I know what your inside info is on this but you seem to have some more facts that I do not have.
I do not know how you can consider the tranny jumping out of gear; the tranny oil leak, the excessive fuel consumption and the body panel crack as "nit picking". I have no idea as to whether these are facts, as I said, I am taking his post at face value, but if they are fact, I hardly consider these problems as "nit picking".
Let's see, I just laid out 50 large for this car and if I/you had these problems....well, let's just leave it as that.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
JLA sounds like he has some valid complaints. But it also appears that he went out of his way to nit-pick the car. It seems crystal clear to me that he doesn't want the car and is looking "extra hard" to find things wrong with it. I seriously doubt that even if GM fixes all of his complaints (all of them seem like easy fixes) he will still find fault with the car. If someone from GM is monitoring these posts, take some good advise....

....While no customer wants a car like this (he will never be happy with the car)

....No business needs a customer like him. Give him his money back. Fix the car, so a lucky buyer can get a good deal on a great used Corvette.

By prolonging the inevitable, you are just costing yourselves more money in the long term.

I don't know about everyone else, but this whole thing seems sort of Trailer-parkish to me. Airing dirty laundry in public is so uncorvetteownerlike.

·
Registered
400 Posts
gb - If you take JLA's claims at face value you will vastly overvalue them. He pulled the same scam about a year ago with his previous vette. He has not had ONE lemon much less TWO.

We can e-mail if you want but for the most part this little scam needs to stay public. GM should have the oportunity to hear both sides.

Anybody who has been involved in retail has had to deal with people like JLA. Their tactics and motive become very transparent and obvious after a while.

I have notified GM that if they let this guy pull off yet another lemon buy-back scam my next purchase won't be a GM product. For the record, I've purchase 4 new GM vehicles in the last year.

·
Registered
695 Posts
bibsuit

OK, I understand your position. I was not aware of any prior postings/problems you refer to...as I stated before, I took his complaints at face value and those complaints alarmed me.
I have not changed my position necessarily but it appears I don't know "The Rest of The Story" as such.
'Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts