Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now I have sent my complaint to the Better Business Bureau. This is the next step in the process. I was contacted by another department at General Motors and this is the letter that is being sent to them in response/support of my claim that has been filed with the Better Business Bureau.
January 7, 2002

General Motors Business Resource Center
Attn:
Fax:

General Motors Corporation
Headquarters, Detroit Michigan
Attn: Mr. Bill Lovejoy, GM Group Vice President
North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing

General Motors Corporation
GM Corvette Assembly Plant
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Attn: Mr. Will Cooksey, Plant Manager

I am writing this letter to give you all the details of my case.

2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop, VIN#

I took delivery of my vehicle on November 10, 2000.

Prior to December 10, 2001, my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop had been out of service for a total of 22 business days from the period starting December 6, 2000 until the “Final Notification Letter” to the manufacturer of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, dated July 24, 2001

12/06/00 – Invoice 225155 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1080 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 1 DAY

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1762 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 2 DAYS

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 DAYS

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 DAYS

03/08/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 DAYS

03/15/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 22 DAYS

In addition, my vehicle had been presented 4 separate times for excessive oil consumption to a Chevrolet Dealer. I was told either that the oil consumption was normal or Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, told me that General Motors was aware of the oil consumption problem and THERE WAS NO FIX AVAILABLE FOR MY VEHICLE AT THAT TIME.

12/06/00 – Invoice 225155 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1080 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 1 DAY

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (1st dealer presented complaint)

After driving the car ONLY 1080 miles, the car was low 1 QUART of oil. I was told that this is perfectly normal and NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 1 quart of oil was added.

03/06/01 – Invoice CVCS61004SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5000

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (2nd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. Was told there was no fix for this problem at this time.

03/08/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 DAYS

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (3rd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is not fix at this time.

03/15/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 22 DAYS

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (4th dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is no fix at this time.

As you well know, the North Carolina Lemon Law statute states:

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
(a) It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts
have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable
express warranties if:
(1) The same nonconformity has been presented for
repair to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer
four or more times but the same nonconformity continues to exist;
or
(2) The vehicle was out of service to the consumer
during or while awaiting repair of the nonconformity or a series
of nonconformity’s for a cumulative total of 20 or more business
days during any 12-month period of the warranty,
provided that the consumer has notified the manufacturer directly
in writing of the existence of the nonconformity or series of
nonconformity’s and allowed the manufacturer a reasonable period,
not to exceed 15 calendar days, in which to correct the
nonconformity or series of nonconformity’s.

My vehicle meets the requirements of 20-351.5 (1) as it has been presented to Sir Walter Chevrolet (An authorized Chevrolet dealer) on 4 separate occurrences for “Excessive Oil Consumption”

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (1st dealer presented complaint)

After driving the car ONLY 1080 miles, the car was low 1 QUART of oil. I was told that this is perfectly normal and NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 1 quart of oil was added.

03/06/01 – Invoice CVCS61004SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5000

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (2nd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. Was told there was no fix for this problem at this time.

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (3rd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is not fix at this time.

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (4th dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is no fix at this time.

My vehicle meets the requirements of 20-351.5 (2) as it has been out of service for a total of (22) twenty-two business days from the period of December 6, 2000 until December 6, 2001 (12, Twelve Month Period during the warranty period of November 10, 2000 until November 10, 2003)

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1762 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 2 DAYS

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 DAYS

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 DAYS

and General Motors (The Manufacturer) was notified directly in writing on 1st on July 24, 2001, of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

****EDITED...SEE OTHER POSTS FOR COPIES OF THIS LETTER*****

Then again on August 9, 2001

Then again on August 23, 2001

During this period that the three letters above were sent (July 24, 2001 through August 23, 2001 [30 calendar days]), there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

Again, as you well know, NC 20-351.5 (2) clearly states

…… provided that the consumer has notified the manufacturer directly

I was not contacted until September 4, 2001, which was (43) Forty Three Calendar days after my direct notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) the existence of the series of nonconformities that exist with my vehicle. On that date, Mr. Tim Wilder of Performance Chevrolet in Chapel Hill, NC (An authorized GM/Chevrolet Dealer) stated that he had just received engine piston rings and wanted to “schedule” a time for me to bring my car in to be repaired. I informed Mr. Wilder that this had been the 1st time anyone from GM/Chevrolet has attempted to schedule a “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle and that it has been (43) Calendar days since my direct notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle and that NC 20-351.5 (2) clearly stated that the GM (The manufacturer) had only 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair/Correct” them. (July 24, 2001 until August 7, 2001 = 15 calendar days)

I went on to explain to Mr. Wilder the facts from the letters above and due to the fact the GM (The manufacturer) had been given a “reasonable period” which did not exceed 15 calendar days to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, I would be pursuing a “Replacement” of my defective vehicle in accordance with NC 20-351.3

§ 20-351.3. Replacement or refund; disclosure requirement.
(a) When the consumer is the purchaser or a person entitled
by the terms of the express warranty to enforce the obligations
of the warranty, if the manufacturer is unable, after a
reasonable number of attempts, to conform the motor vehicle to
any express warranty by repairing or correcting, or arranging for
the repair or correction of, any defect or condition or series of
defects or conditions which substantially impair the value of the
motor vehicle to the consumer, and which occurred no later than
24 months or 24,000 miles following original delivery of the
vehicle, the manufacturer shall, at the option of the consumer,
replace the vehicle with a comparable new motor vehicle or accept
return of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the
consumer the following:
(1) The full contract price including, but not
limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer preparation and
transportation, and installed options, plus the non-refundable
portions of extended warranties and service contracts;
(2) All collateral charges, including but not
limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees, and similar
government charges;
(3) All finance charges incurred by the consumer
after he first reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its
agent, or its authorized dealer; and
(4) Any incidental damages and monetary
consequential damages.

Mr. Wilder asked me to fax to him all of my documentation which I completed on September 4, 2001.

As you can see, GM (The manufacturer) was given in accordance with NC 20-351.5 (2) a reasonable period, not to exceed 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair”/correct them. This period started on July 24, 2001 and expired on August 7, 2001 (15 calendar days.) During that period there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle. It was not until September 4, 2001 and (43) forty three calendar days that I was contacted by Performance Chevrolet (An authorized GM/Chevrolet dealer) to “schedule” the “Final Repair/correction” of (1) (one) of the nonconformities that exists with my vehicle. This (43) forty three calendar day period far exceeds the (15) fifteen calendar day period allotted to GM (The Manufacturer) by NC 20-351.5 (2) to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

SEE PART TWO BELOW FOR REST OF STORY!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On December 10, 2001, I received a letter from GM legal with GM’s position which I felt showed complete disregard for the NC Lemon Law Statutes. Even though it was well past the 15 calendar days since my 1st notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, I decided to once again in “GOOD FAITH” allow General Motors one “LAST AND FINAL” repair attempt as prescribed by NC 20-351.5 (2) which states:

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
express warranties if:
or

General Motors was informed of this in a letter dated December 10, 2001. In the letter, it was stated that the vehicle would be made available for repairs to start on December 11, 2001. It was also restated that NC 20-351.5 allows General Motors not more than 15 calendar days for this “Final” repair to be completed. The period for this “Final” repair to be completed started on December 11, 2001 and expired on December 25, 2001.

The non-conformities that were presented (as also stated in my letter to General Motors on July 24, 2001) were:

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles.
2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of 2nd gear sometimes
3. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the rear differential or transmission
4. Suspension making clunking noises
5. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL.
6. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side
7. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles
8. Deck lid rattles
9. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes
10. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights.
11. Mufflers rattling
12. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use
13. Memory feature sometimes will not work
14. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18 mph average at 60 – 70mph**
15. Front console cover distorted and misaligned (2nd complaint)
16. Brake rotors starting to warp
17. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds
18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment. (1st complaint)
19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct
20. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective
21. Loud Whining Noise coming from rear of vehicle at idle (Differential or Transmission.)
22. Passenger Seatbelt Jams

On December 21, 2001 I was contacted by the staff of Performance Chevrolet to let me know that my car would be ready for pickup. I arrived at approximately 12:30pm and was told that the car was not yet ready and that I would need to wait.

After approximately 30 minutes, the car was pulled around and I was given a copy of the repair order and the keys. I went to the vehicle and pulled it up and immediately heard a creaking and clunking noise in the suspension when I came to a stop. I went back into the service department office and asked for the Chris Kimball, Shop Foreman and explained to him the problem. He asked me to go on a test drive with him so that he could hear the problem himself. We drove around the parking lot of Performance Chevrolet and he heard the noise and said “I didn’t hear that on my test drive.” He asked me to pull the car back around to the service department. After waiting an additional 20 minutes, I was told that they had to re-torque the front suspension cradle bolts as they were loose. Something was said to the effect that they probably should have done that anyway after they 1st road tested the car.

As you can imagine, this one event has caused me to be even more apprehensive about all the repairs that were performed on my vehicle over the past two weeks. Is there something else that they have forgotten to tighten down, etc.? I hope that this was just an isolated case.

As you know, GM (The manufacturer) was given in accordance with NC 20-351.5 (2) a reasonable period, not to exceed 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair”/correct them. This period started on July 24, 2001 and expired on August 7, 2001 (15 calendar days.) During that period there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle. It was not until September 4, 2001 and (43) forty three calendar days that I was contacted by Performance Chevrolet (An authorized GM/Chevrolet dealer) to “schedule” the “Final Repair/correction” of (1) (one) of the nonconformities that exists with my vehicle. This (43) forty three calendar day period far exceeds the (15) fifteen calendar day period allotted to GM (The Manufacturer) by NC 20-351.5 (2) to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

Again, on December 10, 2001, I received a letter with GM’s position which I felt showed complete disregard for the NC Lemon Law Statutes. Even though it was well past the 15 calendar days since my 1st notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, I decided to once again in “GOOD FAITH” allow General Motors one “LAST AND FINAL” repair attempt as prescribed by NC 20-351.5 (2) which states

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
express warranties if:
or

General Motors was informed of this in a letter dated December 10, 2001. In the letter, it was stated that the vehicle would be made available for repairs to start on December 11, 2001. It was also restated that NC 20-351.5 allows General Motors not more than 15 calendar days for this “Final” repair to be completed. The period for this “Final” repair to be completed started on December 11, 2001 and expired on December 25, 2001.

When I picked up my vehicle (AS INSTRUCTED BY PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET) this is the explanation I was given verbally and in the repair order of all the problems that were addressed.

1. Engine burns excessive oil, 1 quart every 400 – 500 miles.

I was told that they replaced the #2 compression ring and the oil expander ring on all the pistons of my engine per GM Service bulletin 01-06-01-023.

I do not know if this repair was successful. I will be keeping a DETAILED log of the oil consumption of my vehicle if any from the today’s date.

2. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of 2nd gear sometimes

I was told that they vehicle was road tested and they indeed verified that my vehicle was difficult to shift and popped out of gear. They removed the transmission from the vehicle and found:

The 2nd gear synchronizer was damaged.
The snap ring on the 2nd gear assembly had failed.
The reverse gear synchronize was damaged.
There was a leak at the final drive unit.
There was a leak at the output shaft.

They replaced the 2nd and reverse gears and synchronizers along with the shift fork and seals.

I was told that these problems were probably caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S (RALEIGH, NC) failure to properly repair the transmission back in January 2001.

3. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the rear differential or transmission

I was told that they discovered that there were leaks at the final drive unit and output shafts. The seals were replaced. I was told that this probably was caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S (RALEIGH, NC) failure to properly repair the transmission back in January 2001.

4. Suspension making clunking noises

I was told that this was address while the transmission and differential assemblies were removed from the vehicle. I was told that they cleaned and inspected the mounting surfaces and fasteners for the REAR suspension members.

When I picked up the vehicle I went to the vehicle and pulled it up and immediately heard a creaking and clunking noise in the suspension when I came to a stop. I went back into the service department office and asked for the Chris Kimball, Shop Foreman and explained to him the problem. He asked me to go on a test drive with him so that he could hear the problem himself. We drove around the parking lot of Performance Chevrolet and he heard the noise and said “I didn’t hear that on my test drive.” He asked me to pull the car back around to the service department. After waiting an additional 20 minutes, I was told that they had to re-torque the front suspension cradle bolts as they were loose. Something was said to the effect that they probably should have done that anyway after they 1st road tested the car.

I have not yet road tested the car sufficiently to determine if this problem has been corrected. I will be driving the vehicle to determine whether or not this problem has been fixed and will not reoccur.

I was told that the original problem was probably caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S (RALEIGH, NC) failure to reassemble the suspension components when the performed the transmission repair in January 2001.

5. PAINT AND BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL.

I was told that my vehicle has a fracture within the body panel on the left rear quarter panel. I was told that this would be repaired under warranty as it was obvious that this fracture was not caused by anything hitting the vehicle from the inside or outside and was apparently caused by the body panel being DEFECTIVE.

THIS PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED!!!

I was told several times during the repair of my vehicle and upon picking it up that Performance COULD NOT complete this repair on my vehicle. When I picked up my vehicle, I informed my service advisor, Scott Lewis, that GM still had 4 CALENDAR DAYS to complete this repair. I asked him where I was to take the vehicle and who and when would they be completing the repair. He stated to me that HE DIDN’T know.

I informed Mr. Lewis that I was prepared to take the vehicle wherever GM directed me to take it for this repair to be completed. I told him that I wanted to do this and wanted to be sure the GM had the opportunity to complete this repair before the expiration of the 15 calendar day final repair attempt period. He again stated that HE DIDN’T know.

AGAIN, THIS PROBLEM STILL EXISTS WITH MY VEHICLE. I expect this non-conformity will be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

6. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side

I was told that they compared my rear facia to other Corvettes on the Performance Chevrolet lot. I was told that all the vehicles have comparable rear facia variances. I was told that sagging in my rear facia was normal. While I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Corvettes on their lot and NOT ONE had a rear facia that was sagging and not symmetrical on both sides. My rear facia sags and IS NOT symmetrical on both sides. I offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN NO EXPLANATION!!!

I have photographs of other Corvettes with the same rear facia as well as my 2000 Corvette and that these vehicles DO NOT exhibit any warping or sagging instead they are symmetrical on both sides. I also compared my rear facia to all the other Corvettes on their lot and NOT ONE had a rear facia that was sagging and not symmetrical on both sides. My rear facia sags and IS NOT symmetrical on both sides Due to this, I do not feel that the sagging/warping is NORMAL and I expect this non-conformity to be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

SEE PART 3 BELOW FOR REST

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles.

I was told that my rear brake cables apparently were MISROUTED during the transmission repair that was performed by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET (RALEIGH, NC.) The cables were rubbing against the rear wheels. I was told that they rerouted the brake cables.

I have not yet road tested the car sufficiently to determine if this problem has been corrected. I will be driving the vehicle to determine whether or not this problem has been fixed and will not reoccur.

8. Deck lid rattles

I was told that the compartment separator attachments were loose and rattling. They tightened the attachment points.

9. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes

This problem was intermittent as had not occurred for some time. They attempted to duplicate this problem and were not able to. There has been no reoccurrence of this problem.

10. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights.

I was told the rim was scratched by the (incorrect) installation of the wheel weight by the FACTORY. The weight came off during a repair by Sir Walter Chevrolet and a new one was installed by Sir Walter Chevrolet during a previous service visit.

I had shown this to Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, and that he told me that they would replace the affected rims under warranty. I expect the affect rims to be repaired/replaced along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

11. Mufflers rattling

I was told that they were unable to duplicate this problem. I informed them that this problem was intermittent. They stated that this problem was probably caused by SIR WALTER CHEVROLET’S failure to reassemble components during the transmission repair in January 2001.

I was told that this problem was corrected during the reassembly of components during the transmission repair performed on this visit.

At this time, it appears that this problem has been corrected.

12. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use

This was replaced. I was told that this was done as a “GOODWILL GESTURE.”

13. Memory feature sometimes will not work.

I was told that they were unable to duplicate the problem. I was told that they inspected the memory system and power seat operation and no fault was found.

The problem has occurred 5 times since I have picked up the car. When I insert the key, the seat either does not move forward or instead moves backward forcing itself into the rear gas tank wall. I expect this non-conformity will be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

14. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18 mph average at 60 – 70mph**

I was told that they tested for this problem by driving the car approximately 14 miles and checking the instant average fuel consumption on the DIC. I was told based off of this (INCORRECT) test, it was determined that there was NO excessive fuel consumption.

Given the instant average on the DIC can vary from 1MPG to 70+ MPG within seconds. THIS IS NOT THE GM PRESCRIBED MANNER TO TEST FOR EXCESSIVE FUEL CONSUMPTION.

I expect this non-conformity will be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

15. Front console cover distorted and misaligned

I was told that the console cover was warped. They replaced the item.

This problem has been corrected.

16. Brake rotors starting to warp

I was told that the rotors had excessive thickness variation that caused pulsation when braking. The thickness variation has .005 on the left rotor and .006 on the right rotor.

Both front rotors were RESURFACED.

It appears that at this time, the problem has been corrected. It has been reported that a reoccurrence of this problem CAN happen after a REFUFACING repair. I will be watching to see if this problem reoccurs.

17. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds

I was told that they found no vibration at 65-70mph. I was also told that the alignment correction that was performed most likely would correct any problem that I may have been experiencing.

18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment.

I was told that the tire wear was normal.

19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct

The alignment and steering wheel position was corrected.

20. Passenger Side Z06 Screen Defective

I was told that they compared my Z06 Screen to other Z06 Corvettes on the Performance Chevrolet lot. I was told that all the vehicles have comparable Z06 Screen variances. I was told that defect in my Z06 Screen was normal. While I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Z06 Corvettes on their lot and NOT ONE had a defective Z06 Screen like mine is. I offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN NO EXPLANATION!!!

I have photographs of other Z06 Corvettes with the same screen and that these vehicles DO NOT exhibit this defective condition. This defective condition was brought to my attention by Donald Creech at Sir Walter Chevrolet and I in turn brought it to the attention of Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet. Mr. Edwards informed me that if I desired, he would have the screen repaired/replaced under warranty and that it was a warranty issue. Also, while I was waiting to pick my vehicle up, I looked at all the other Z06 Corvettes on the Performance Chevrolet lot and NOT ONE had a defective Z06 Screen like mine is. I offered this information to Performance staff was GIVEN NO EXPLANATION!!!

Due to this, I do not feel that the defective condition of my screen is NORMAL and I expect this non-conformity to be corrected along with the other non-conformities during this 15 calendar day “Final” repair attempt period.

21. Loud Whining Noise coming from rear of vehicle at idle (Differential or Transmission.)

I was told that this was caused by the malfunctioning and leaking transmission.

22. Passenger Seatbelt Jams

The seatbelt assembly was replaced. It appears at this time, the problem has been corrected.

As of the date of this letter, I still have 6 problems/NON-CONFORMITIES that I know exist with my vehicle that WERE NOT CORRECTED. These problems were presented when my vehicle was made available for the LAST AND FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT PERIOD for repairs that started on December 11, 2001.

On December 21, I notified (VIA LETTER TO GM LEGAL) that General Motors still had 4 calendar days from the date of the letter to correct the above mentioned existing non-conformities that exist with my vehicle per NC 20-351.5. I RECEIVED NO WRITTEN RESPONSE REGARDING THIS FROM GM LEGAL BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF THE FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT PERIOD. I also informed the staff of Performance Chevrolet of this and asked where I was to take my vehicle to have the repairs complete and was told that they DID NOT KNOW!!!

I informed GM that if these non-conformities were not corrected at the end of this 15 calendar day period per NC 20-351.5, I will then expect General Motors to REPLACE my vehicle in accordance with all state and federal statutes. I also informed GM that if General Motors refuses to voluntarily comply with state and federal statutes, I will have no choice but to take other legal action.

As of today, my vehicle has now been out of service for 30 BUSINESS DAYS DURING A 12 MONTH PERIOD OF THE WARRANTY PERIOD (DECEMBER 21, 2000 – DECEMBER 21, 2001)

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1762 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 1 BUSINESS DAY

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 4 BUSINESS DAYS

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 13 BUSINESS DAYS

03/08/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 20 BUSINESS DAYS

03/15/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 BUSINESS DAYS
12/21/01 - Invoice 267481 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 14669 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 30 BUSINESS DAYS

GM (The manufacturer) was given in accordance with NC 20-351.5 (2) a reasonable period, not to exceed 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair”/correct them. This period started on July 24, 2001 and expired on August 7, 2001 (15 calendar days.) During that period there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle. It was not until September 4, 2001 and (43) forty three calendar days that I was contacted by Performance Chevrolet (An authorized GM/Chevrolet dealer) to “schedule” the “Final Repair/correction” of (1) (one) of the nonconformities that exists with my vehicle. This (43) forty three calendar day period far exceeds the (15) fifteen calendar day period allotted to GM (The Manufacturer) by NC 20-351.5 (2) to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

On December 10, 2001, I received a letter with GM’s position which I felt showed complete disregard for the NC Lemon Law Statutes. Even though it was well past the 15 calendar days since my 1st notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, I decided to once again in “GOOD FAITH” allow General Motors one “LAST AND FINAL” repair attempt as prescribed by NC 20-351.5 (2) which states

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
express warranties if:
or

On December 21, 2001 I was INSTRUCTED by Performance Chevrolet, Chapel Hill, NC to pick up my vehicle as it was ready. On December 21, 2001 upon pickup and inspection I discovered that (and as of the date of this letter ) still AT LEAST 6 problems/NON-CONFORMITIES that I know exist with my vehicle that WERE NOT CORRECTED. These problems were presented when my vehicle was made available for the LAST AND FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT PERIOD for repairs to start on December 11, 2001. On December 21, I notified (VIA LETTER TO GM LEGAL) that General Motors still had 4 calendar days from the date of the letter to correct the above mentioned existing non-conformities that exist with my vehicle per NC 20-351.5. I RECEIVED NO WRITTEN RESPONSE REGARDING THIS FROM GM LEGAL BEFORE THE EXPIRATION OF THE FINAL REPAIR ATTEMPT PERIOD. I also informed the staff of Performance Chevrolet of this and asked where I was to take my vehicle to have the repairs completed and was told that they DID NOT KNOW!!!

Based off of these above facts, I request that General Motors voluntarily comply with the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes and REPLACE my vehicle per NC 20-351.3. If GM continues to show the disregard for the NC Statutes as they have previously in this case, then I will have no other choice but to pursue further legal action.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

I am waiting for the BBB paperwork and see if GM is going to start to show some type of regard for the NC Lemon Law Statutes and comply. If not, I guess it will be set up for a hearing.

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to follow these posts.

Comments/suggestions are always appreciated.

JLA

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly do not think that the post should be moved to the "Dealer Experience" section as this is FAR beyond an experience with a dealer.

I feel it is much more appropriate in the Grandstand section. But who am I to argue with a moderator??

If they move it, there is really nothing I can do except.

:guiness:

JLA

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Is the Cliff Notes version of this thread available? :-?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
We've entertained these posts in the past but now its become an ongoing saga of bashing GM and bloating the DB.......

No further posts re this situation will be allowed.......

Mods, lock er down if you choose.......

JC

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
N4C5S said:
We've entertained these posts in the past but now its become an ongoing saga of bashing GM and bloating the DB.......

No further posts re this situation will be allowed.......

Mods, lock er down if you choose.......

JC
I would if I could.
This is getting old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.