Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my MY 2001 Z06 for over a year now and currently in a buyback war with GM. I thought I would post my experience here to show just how difficult GM can be.

My car was purchased in November 2000 and on July 23, 2001, my car had been out of service for 22 business days and seen for oil consumption 4 times without resolution. The North Carolina Lemon Law Statute that 4 time or more or 20 or more business days out of service for Lemon Law replacement. You must 1st give the manufacturer notice in writing of the series of problems you have with your vehicle.

I sent the following letter to GM on July 24, 2001.

July 24, 2001

General Motors Corporation
Headquarters, Detroit Michigan
Attn: Mr. Bill Lovejoy, GM Group Vice President
North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing
Fax: (313) 667-4157

GM Corvette Assembly Plant
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Attn: Mr. Will Cooksey, Plant Manager
Fax: (270) 745-8252

SUBJECT: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop, VIN#

Mr. Lovejoy and Mr. Cooksey,

I am writing this letter regarding my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop that was purchased, delivered, and serviced by Sir Walter Chevrolet in Raleigh, North Carolina.

I took delivery of my vehicle on November 10, 2000. This being my second new Chevrolet and Corvette, I was extremely happy to have taken delivery. This ended just a few days later though.

Attached to this letter is a complete service history (Along with dealer invoice #’s) on my vehicle. In the past eight months , I have had my vehicle into the service department 10 times for various problems and the vehicle has been OUT OF SERVICE for a total of TWENTY TWO (22) BUSINESS DAYS. One of these problems (Excessive oil consumption) has had SIX (6) dealer presented occurrences and between TEN AND THIRTEEN (10) and (13) personal occurrences and the problem still exists. I have verbally notified Mr. Ricky Edwards, Service Manager on several occasions and the problems with my vehicle still have not been resolved.

I feel that Mr. Ricky Edwards and his service staff at Sir Walter Chevrolet have been most helpful and I truly believe that they have done the best that they can to solve these problems to my satisfaction. But the issue remains that these problems still exist. Due to the fact that there are currently FOURTEEN (14) problems with my vehicle, some of which are up to over SIX (6) occurrences along with the vehicle being out of service for TWENTY TWO (22) BUSINESS DAYS in the past EIGHT (8) MONTHS, I feel now that this issue has gone beyond what should be considered acceptable.

This is the reason I am writing this letter. Before my purchase of this vehicle, I owned 3 brand new Ford Mustangs. Each vehicle was in the service department no more than 2 or 3 times for warranty work during the 1st year. After that, I purchased a 2000 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe that was bought back by GM due to being into the dealer for warranty repair THIRTEEN (13) times and EIGHT (8) times for the same problem in the 1 year. Now the 2001 Z06 that I have purchased to replace my 2000 Corvette Coupe has been into the dealer TEN (10) times and out of service for TWENTY TWO (22) BUSINESS DAYS in the past 8 months. I feel that this is unacceptable for a vehicle that costs $51,000.00. The North Carolina Lemon Statute states

§ 20-351.3. Replacement or refund; disclosure requirement.
(a) When the consumer is the purchaser or a person entitled
by the terms of the express warranty to enforce the obligations
of the warranty, if the manufacturer is unable, after a
reasonable number of attempts, to conform the motor vehicle to
any express warranty by repairing or correcting, or arranging for
the repair or correction of, any defect or condition or series of
defects or conditions which substantially impair the value of the
motor vehicle to the consumer, and which occurred no later than
24 months or 24,000 miles following original delivery of the
vehicle, the manufacturer shall, at the option of the consumer,
replace the vehicle with a comparable new motor vehicle or accept
return of the vehicle from the consumer and refund to the
consumer the following:
(1) The full contract price including, but not
limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer preparation and
transportation, and installed options, plus the non-refundable
portions of extended warranties and service contracts;
(2) All collateral charges, including but not
limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees, and similar
government charges;
(3) All finance charges incurred by the consumer
after he first reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its
agent, or its authorized dealer; and
(4) Any incidental damages and monetary
consequential damages.

and it also states

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
(a) It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts
have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable
express warranties if:
(1) The same nonconformity has been presented for
repair to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer
four or more times but the same nonconformity continues to exist;
or
(2) The vehicle was out of service to the consumer
during or while awaiting repair of the nonconformity or a series
of nonconformity’s for a cumulative total of 20 or more business
days during any 12-month period of the warranty,
provided that the consumer has notified the manufacturer directly
in writing of the existence of the nonconformity or series of
nonconformity’s and allowed the manufacturer a reasonable period,
not to exceed 15 calendar days, in which to correct the
nonconformity or series of nonconformity’s.

According to the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes, I believe my vehicle completely qualifies for replacement under both conditions.

(1) The same nonconformity has been presented for repair to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer four or more times but the same nonconformity continues to exist;

My vehicle has been seen by the dealer for Excessive oil consumption (5) times

(2) The vehicle was out of service to the consumer during or while
awaiting repair of the nonconformity or a series of nonconformity’s for a cumulative total of 20 or more business days during any 12-month period of the warranty, provided that the consumer has notified the manufacturer directly

My vehicle has been OUT OF SERVICE for 22 BUSINESS DAYS in the past EIGHT MONTHS.

Due to these above FACTS, I respectfully request in the interest of customer satisfaction that General Motors and Chevrolet REPLACE my 2001 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with a 2002 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with the same options. I am requesting a 2002 due to the fact that my dealer has confirmed that my excessive oil consumption is due to a faulty RING DESIGN that exists on ALL 2001 Corvette Z06 Hardtops. This request and REPLACEMENT option selection is also being made in accordance to the North Carolina Lemon Law Statute which states:

replace the vehicle with a comparable new motor vehicle
or accept
consumer the following:

I truly believe the Chevrolet Corvette is a great vehicle. During my trip to Bowling Green Kentucky during the C5 Birthday Bash, I had the opportunity to meet many of the people who are responsible for its creation, design and manufacture. I also traveled back to Bowling Green to witness the build and AUDIT process of my 2001 Corvette. All I can say is that they are the most impressive group of individuals I have yet met and I can see that they take great pride in creating a super vehicle.

It appears unfortunately AGAIN that my 2nd CORVETTE is having a number of problems that are not normal or the standard for the Chevrolet Corvette. It seems that most agree that GM is committed to customer satisfaction. I respectfully request your assistance in a swift resolution to this matter.

Thank you for your time and attention.

It took 9 days to get a response and I sent the following letter on August 9, 2001

August 9, 2001

Attn: Ms. Mary Kingston, Assistant to Mr. Bill Lovejoy
Fax: (313) 667-7070

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Mr. Lovejoy Ms. Kingston and Mr. Cooksey,

I am writing this SECOND letter to let you know the actions that have taken place on my complaint and requests regarding my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop.

I sent my 1st letter to you on July 24, 2001. It took 9 DAYS for someone from General Motors to contact me regarding my letter. The individual that contacted me on August 3, 2001 was Mr. David Speer in GM Legal Correspondence. Mr. Speer left a message for me and I returned his call on August 3, 2001. During this conversation, Mr. Speer told me that he was in the process of contacting the dealership, the area rep, and some individuals in the engineering departments. Mr. Speer told me that I would be contacted by him the following week. I again told him of that I was looking to have my vehicle REPLACED in accordance with the North Carolina Lemon Law Statues.

By August 7, 2001, Mr. Speer had not contacted me so I called him back. I was then told at that time that Mr. Jim Cuccurello, Field Area Service Manager had stated that General Motors would NOT be repurchasing my vehicle and that my vehicle would be repaired AS NEEDED. I then asked Mr. Speer what that exactly meant and how could Mr. Cuccurello ignore the fact that my vehicle MORE THAN qualifies for REPLACEMENT under the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes. I was not given any further explanation nor have I been contacted further by anyone in the General Motors organization after August 7th 2001.

It is now August 9th, 2001 and 16 CALENDER DAYS after I have notified you (THE MANUFACTURER) in writing of the series of non-conformities that exist with my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop. I have not been contacted nor has any attempt been scheduled nor attempt to schedule any type of repairs, etc on my vehicle been made. Please note below the section of the North Carolina Lemon Law Statute that pertains to this.

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.

nonconformities and allowed the manufacturer a reasonable period,
nonconformity or series of nonconformities.

At this point, I am very disappointed that General Motors seems to not be committed to the idea of customer satisfaction and the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes.

I again am AGAIN respectfully requesting that in accordance with the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes that General Motors and Chevrolet REPLACE my 2001 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with a 2002 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with the same options. I am requesting a 2002 due to the fact that my dealer has confirmed that my excessive oil consumption is due to a faulty RING DESIGN that exists on ALL 2001 Corvette Z06 Hardtops. Again, this request and REPLACEMENT option selection is being made in accordance to the North Carolina Lemon Law Statute which states:

or accept
consumer the following:

I have attached along with this letter a copy of the 1st letter that was sent on July 24, 2001 along with a REVISED SERVICE HISTORY that documents that additional discovered problems with my vehicle.

I respectfully request your assistance in a swift resolution to this matter.

See Part 2 below

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PART 2

After still receiving no resolution to my problem, I sent the following letter on August 23, 2001

August 23, 2001

Attn: Ms. Mary Kingston, Assistant to Mr. Bill Lovejoy
Fax: (313) 667-7070

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Mr. Lovejoy Ms. Kingston and Mr. Cooksey,

I am writing this THIRD letter to let you know the actions that have taken place on my complaint and requests regarding my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop.

I sent my 1st letter to you on July 24, 2001. It took 9 DAYS for someone from General Motors to contact me regarding my letter. The individual that contacted me on August 3, 2001 was Mr. David Speer in GM Legal Correspondence. Mr. Speer left a message for me and I returned his call on August 3, 2001. During this conversation, Mr. Speer told me that he was in the process of contacting the dealership, the area rep, and some individuals in the engineering departments. Mr. Speer told me that I would be contacted by him the following week. I again told him of that I was looking to have my vehicle REPLACED in accordance with the North Carolina Lemon Law Statues.

By August 7, 2001, Mr. Speer had not contacted me so I called him back. I was then told at that time that Mr. Jim Cuccurello, Field Area Service Manager had stated that General Motors would NOT be repurchasing my vehicle and that my vehicle would be repaired AS NEEDED. I then asked Mr. Speer what that exactly meant and how could Mr. Cuccurello ignore the fact that my vehicle MORE THAN qualifies for REPLACEMENT under the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes. I was not given any further explanation nor have I been contacted further by anyone in the General Motors organization after August 7th 2001.

On August 9th, 2001 and 16 CALENDER DAYS after I have notified you (THE MANUFACTURER) in writing of the series of non-conformities that exist with my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop, I wrote a SECOND letter which I have attached to this letter for your reference. A few days later and after I called several times, I was contacted by Ms. Kingston. Ms. Kingston stated that she would get back to me when she had more info. A week after the SECOND letter, I sent a fax reminder to let all parties know that I still had not been contacted nor had any action taken place with my vehicle. I placed several messages to Ms. Kingston’s voicemail after the reminder fax was sent. Finally on August 20, 2001 and 27 CALENDER DAYS after my 1st letter to you (THE MANUFACTURER), I was contacted by Ms. Kingston. She stated that the Mr. Jim Cuccurello, Field Area Service Manager had the “replacement rings” in hand but he was on vacation so I would have to wait to see what action would be taken with my vehicle. I reminded Ms. Kingston that it had been 27 CALENDER DAYS since my 1st notification to the manufacturer and according to North Carolina State Lemon Law Statutes that I more than qualified for REPLACEMENT of my vehicle. She again stated that nothing could be done until Mr. Cuccurello returned from vacation. I find this completely unacceptable and a total disregard for customer satisfaction.

It is now August 23, 2001 and 30 CALENDER DAYS after I have notified you (THE MANUFACTURER) in writing of the series of non-conformities that exist with my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop. There has been no attempt to schedule any type of repairs, etc on my vehicle. On August 27, 2001 it will be 34 CALENDER DAYS after my 1st notification to you (THE MANUFACTURER) of the series of non-conformities that exist with my 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop. Please note below the section of the North Carolina Lemon Law Statute that pertains to this.

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.

nonconformities and allowed the manufacturer a reasonable period,
nonconformity or series of nonconformities.

At this point, I am very disappointed that General Motors seems to not be committed to the idea of customer satisfaction and appears to have complete disregard for the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes.

I again am ONCE AGAIN respectfully requesting that in accordance with the North Carolina Lemon Law Statutes that General Motors and Chevrolet REPLACE my 2001 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with a 2002 Millennium Yellow Corvette Z06 Hardtop with the same options. I am requesting a 2002 due to the fact that my dealer has confirmed that my excessive oil consumption is due to a faulty RING DESIGN that exists on ALL 2001 Corvette Z06 Hardtops. Again, this request and REPLACEMENT option selection is being made in accordance to the North Carolina Lemon Law Statute which states:

or accept
consumer the following:

I have attached along with this letter a copy of the 1st letter and 2nd letters that were sent on July 24, 2001 and August 9, 2001 along with a REVISED SERVICE HISTORY that documents that additional discovered problems with my vehicle.

I respectfully request your assistance in a swift resolution to this matter.

Finally in September and 43 CALENDAR days after my 1st letter, I was contacted by Performance Chevrolet to schedule a repair of my rings.

I told them that since it has exceeded the 15 days the statute gave, I would not be scheduling a repair and wanted a replacement.

I then hired an attorney and he sent the following letter to GM:

I received the following response from GM

See part 3 for rest of story

Attachments

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Man that sux...Sorry to hear that.. I wounder why some cars burn oil and others don't?? I have 3300 miles on my 01' with no oil consumption or any other problems for that matter!! Godd luck with your second buy back and keep us informed:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I responded to GM via letter to my attorney.

December 5, 2001

Raymond W. Postlewait, Jr. Esq.
Attorney At Law
Northgate Mall
Suite 3-A
Durham, North Carolina 27705

Mr. Postlewait,

I have received the letter you forwarded from General Motors dated December 4, 2001. I offer the following information to counter the claims that GM made in the letter.

My 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Hardtop has been out of service for a total of 22 business days from the period starting December 6, 2000 until the “Final Notification Letter” to the manufacturer of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, dated July 24, 2001

12/06/00 – Invoice 225155 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1080 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 1 DAY

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1762 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 2 DAYS

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 DAYS

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 DAYS

03/08/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 DAYS

03/15/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 22 DAYS

In addition, my vehicle had been presented 4 separate times for excessive oil consumption to a Chevrolet Dealer. I was told either that the oil consumption was normal or Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, told me that General Motors was aware of the oil consumption problem and THERE WAS NO FIX AVAILABLE FOR MY VEHICLE AT THAT TIME.

12/06/00 – Invoice 225155 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1080 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 1 DAY

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (1st dealer presented complaint)

After driving the car ONLY 1080 miles, the car was low 1 QUART of oil. I was told that this is perfectly normal and NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 1 quart of oil was added.

03/06/01 – Invoice CVCS61004SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5000

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (2nd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. Was told there was no fix for this problem at this time.

03/08/01 – Invoice CVCS61355 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5535 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 21 DAYS

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (3rd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is not fix at this time.

03/15/00 – Invoice CVCS62319 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 6275 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 22 DAYS

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (4th dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is no fix at this time.

As you well know, the North Carolina Lemon Law statute states:

§ 20-351.5. Presumption.
(a) It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts
have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable
express warranties if:
(1) The same nonconformity has been presented for
repair to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer
four or more times but the same nonconformity continues to exist;
or
(2) The vehicle was out of service to the consumer
during or while awaiting repair of the nonconformity or a series
of nonconformity’s for a cumulative total of 20 or more business
days during any 12-month period of the warranty,

My vehicle meets the requirements of 20-351.5 (1) as it has been presented to Sir Walter Chevrolet (An authorized Chevrolet dealer) on 4 separate occurrences for “Excessive Oil Consumption”

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (1st dealer presented complaint)

After driving the car ONLY 1080 miles, the car was low 1 QUART of oil. I was told that this is perfectly normal and NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. 1 quart of oil was added.

03/06/01 – Invoice CVCS61004SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 5000

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (2nd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. Was told there was no fix for this problem at this time.

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (3rd dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager, Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is not fix at this time.

The car is burning excessive oil. Oil Level is Low (4th dealer presented complaint)

The car was low 1 QUART of oil. 1 quart of oil was added. I was told by Ricky Edwards, Service Manager at Sir Walter Chevrolet, that this is a problem that GM is aware of and there is no fix at this time.

My vehicle meets the requirements of 20-351.5 (2) as it has been out of service for a total of (22) twenty-two business days from the period of December 6, 2000 until December 6, 2001 (12, Twelve Month Period during the warranty period of November 10, 2000 until November 10, 2003)

12/21/00 - Invoice 226716 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, MILEAGE: 1762 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 2 DAYS

12/28/00 – Invoice 227387 PERFORMANCE CHEVROLET, CHAPEL HILL, NC, (Dropped the car off on 12/28/00 and the car was not ready until 01/03/01.) MILEAGE: 3743. OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 5 DAYS

01/29/01 – Invoice CVCS59535 SIR WALTER CHEVROLET. MILEAGE: 4353 OUT OF SERVICE TO DATE TOTAL: 14 DAYS

and General Motors (The Manufacturer) was notified directly in writing on 1st on July 24, 2001, of the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle

**EDITED** see above for letter

Then again on August 9, 2001

Then again on August 23, 2001

During this period that the three letters above were sent (July 24, 2001 through August 23, 2001 [30 calendar days]), there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

Again, as you well know, NC 20-351.5 (2) clearly states

…… provided that the consumer has notified the manufacturer directly

I was not contacted until September 4, 2001, which was (43) Forty Three Calendar days after my direct notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) the existence of the series of nonconformities that exist with my vehicle. On that date, Mr. Tim Wilder of Performance Chevrolet in Chapel Hill, NC (An authorized GM/Chevrolet Dealer) stated that he had just received engine piston rings and wanted to “schedule” a time for me to bring my car in to be repaired. I informed Mr. Wilder that this had been the 1st time anyone from GM/Chevrolet has attempted to schedule a “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle and that it has been (43) Calendar days since my direct notification in writing to GM (The manufacturer) the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle and that NC 20-351.5 (2) clearly stated that the GM (The manufacturer) had only 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair/Correct” them. (July 24, 2001 until August 7, 2001 = 15 calendar days)

I went on to explain to Mr. Wilder the facts from the letters above and due to the fact the GM (The manufacturer) had been given a “reasonable period” which did not exceed 15 calendar days to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle, I would be pursuing a “Replacement” of my defective vehicle in accordance with NC 20-351.3

replace the vehicle with a comparable new motor vehicle or accept
consumer the following:
(1) The full contract price including, but not
limited to, charges for undercoating, dealer preparation and
transportation, and installed options, plus the non-refundable
portions of extended warranties and service contracts;
(2) All collateral charges, including but not
limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees, and similar
government charges;
(3) All finance charges incurred by the consumer
after he first reports the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its
agent, or its authorized dealer; and
(4) Any incidental damages and monetary
consequential damages.

Mr. Wilder asked me to fax to him all of my documentation which I completed on September 4, 2001.

As you can see, GM (The manufacturer) was given in accordance with NC 20-351.5 (2) a reasonable period, not to exceed 15 calendar days from the date of my direct notification in writing to them of the existence of the series of non conformities that exist with my vehicle to “Final Repair”/correct them. This period started on July 24, 2001 and expired on August 7, 2001 (15 calendar days.) During that period there had been no attempt to schedule the “Final Repair”/correction of the series of non-conformities nor any attempt to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle. It was not until September 4, 2001 and (43) forty three calendar days that I was contacted by Performance Chevrolet (An authorized GM/Chevrolet dealer) to “schedule” the “Final Repair/correction” of (1) (one) of the nonconformities that exists with my vehicle. This (43) forty three calendar day period far exceeds the (15) fifteen calendar day period allotted to GM (The Manufacturer) by NC 20-351.5 (2) to “Final Repair”/correct the series of non-conformities that exist with my vehicle.

Based off of these clearly substantiated facts and in accordance with the NC Lemon Law Statues, I reject the offer of General Motors dated December 4, 2001 and demand a “REPLACEMENT” of my vehicle by General Motors in accordance with applicable state and federal statutes.

We received the same response as above from GM to this letter so I decided to give GM 1 FINAL attempt to correct all 21 problems with my vehicle.

Current Problems –
1. Emergency Brake Cable Rattles (3rd complaint)
2. Deck lid rattles (2nd complaint)
3. Transmission is difficult to shift, including reverse and pops out of 2nd gear sometimes. (4th complaint)
4. Engine burns excessive oil. (6th complaint and have added ****5 quarts of oil since last service visit****)
5. Rear facia is warped on Passenger side (1st complaint)
6. Alternator makes squealing noise sometimes (1st complaint)
7. Finish on rims is damaged by FACTORY wheel weights.
8. Mufflers rattling (1st complaint)
9. Passenger seat leather excessively worn without use (1st complaint)
10. Memory feature sometimes will not work (1st complaint)
11. PAINT/BODY PANEL CRACKING ON REAR LEFT QUARTER PANEL (1st complaint)
12. Excessive fuel consumption during highway cruising in 6th gear **16-18 mph average at 60 – 70mph** (1st complaint)
13. Front console cover distorted and misaligned (2nd complaint)
14. Brake rotors starting to warp (1st complaint)
15. Slow drip LEAK of oil out of vehicle (Appears to be coming out of the rear differential or transmission. (1st complaint)
16. Car has vibration at upper highway speeds (1st complaint)
17. Suspension making clunking noises (2nd complaint)
18. Tires excessive uneven wear due to incorrect alignment. (1st complaint)
19. Alignment and steering wheel position not correct (3rd complaint)
20. Loud semi-shrill noise coming from rear of car (1st complaint)
21. Z06 Front Air Screen Defective (2nd complaint)

See next part for repair details.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to give GM one more chance in good faith and to show that I have went above and beyond what is required by the statute in an attempt to bring a resolution.

So, my car now is at Performance Chevrolet and they have 15 calendar days to correct all of the problems and NO further problems to occur or BUYBACK.

So far they have verified that Sir Walter Chevrolet made some serious ERRORS with the transmission job and several problems with my vehicle are caused by their faulty work.

Stay tuned over the next two weeks for more details.

Jim

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sorry qbout your problems. As a new first time Corvette owner myself, your story is scary. It seems you've done your part and they know it or they wouldn't have made that offer.

Go get 'em.

Good luck..

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
JLA

WHY the "REPURCHASE ONLY", change of heart??.......your lawyer should have opted for a BBB review, and arbitration............GM would have GLADLY complied, as it seems that you have ALL the cards in your favor............
GM, HATES the BBB, and Arbitration..........theuy usually do not win, especially when the evidence has been so well documented........:-?

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Man that sucks, too bad you did not find the z06vette.com site a year ago. Myself and others I'm sure would have suggested that you follow the proper steps. I would have suggested that you or your legal counsel take it to the BBB arbitration board. Your problem would have been resolved long ago. In fact, your better off not using an attorney at all and just going to the BBB hearing by yourself, with your documentation to back up your claims.

You might want to ask your counsel why they did not recommend the BBB Arbitration board to you. I'd love to hear his / her answer. Did your attorney review the proper proceedures found on pages 8-3 and 8-4 of your owners manual?

Joe

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
GNX Guy said:
Man that sucks, too bad you did not find the z06vette.com site a year ago. Myself and others I'm sure would have suggested that you follow the proper steps. I would have suggested that you or your legal counsel take it to the BBB arbitration board. Your problem would have been resolved long ago. In fact, your better off not using an attorney at all and just going to the BBB hearing by yourself, with your documentation to back up your claims.

You might want to ask your counsel why they did not recommend the BBB Arbitration board to you. I'd love to hear his / her answer. Did your attorney review the proper proceedures found on pages 8-3 and 8-4 of your owners manual?

Joe
He's been here before, I think, under JLA Enterprises.

RG

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
GNX GUY great point! This situation may have already been resolved if you followed the BBB procedure. In fact 1 of our members recently got his buy-back through the BBB procedure without any legal involvment.

We may have been able to point you in the right direction if you were member prior to all the problems you are now experiencing.

As a new member I would like to welcome you aboard and wish you good luck in resolving all issues with your Z06. Fubu/Les btw for some reason I thought you were already a member of our site prior to your new registration yesterday as well??

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had it!

JLA Enterprises. That figures. This guy wants a new car every six months (free of charge) and will do whatever it takes to get it.

Isn't it about time to set up a seperate forum for these chronic frivolous complainers? I'm sick of even seeing the headings!

Really, this crap has gotten real old. I realize some people have serious issues to deal with but guys like this JLA character are taking the fun out of this (others too, I'm sure) site! Not to mention the fact that these frivolous assaults denigrate the value on all Corvettes and in particular Z06s.

JLA - My God man, most people could have made more that $50,000 given the time you spend complaining and conniving.

BTW - this was in the Grandstand when I responded.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Setting the record straight......

The facts are, JLA IS JLAEnterprises. He was one of only 2 people ever banned from Z06Vette. He was banned for refusing to minimize his +250K sig, comparing us to CF and posting communist flags, and personal attacks against Sherylann. :flaming:

We have lifted all bans because we believe in giving everyone a second chance.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Thanks Frank.

I wasn't going to reply earlier, because I'm a Moderator on FRC forum, and didn't want to seem to be ganging up. So now the way is clear to make a mild statement.

Seems a good thing to be open to and forgiving of folks that have been banned for things like that. I hope that JLA is willing to come back and be a contributing member to what we, Admins, Mods, and even more appropriately, the supporting forum community are working toward creating and achieving here.

I am in the hopes that JLA is coming back as one of those contributing members.

Take care,

Dan Farmer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: Setting the record straight......

fcalmes said:
The facts are, JLA IS JLAEnterprises. He was one of only 2 people ever banned from Z06Vette. He was banned for refusing to minimize his +250K sig, comparing us to CF and posting communist flags, and personal attacks against Sherylann. :flaming:

We have lifted all bans because we believe in giving everyone a second chance.

... figures.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts