Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went for a ride in a procharged car for the first time. Is there anything you can do to dampen the whine at idle? I was planning to get A & A's kit but am now having second thoughts due to the noise concern.
Thanks in advance.

Jack

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I don't know if anything can be done to quiet the Procharger down. My question to you would be why? For myself, I think its very cool.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It's music to my ears. :coo:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
It's like having a spouse with you every time you drive. ;)

Notice that was not gender specific?

Powerdyne makes a unit that is almost undetectable.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
It's just another instrument in the LS6 symphony!!
Enjoy it!!
It also wards off Fart Can mosquitos that may think about attacking!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The Vortech is quiet. Barely audible at idle unless you tighten up the cogged drive belt. A tight belt increases the acoustics quite a bit.

As others have said, a symphony no matter how loud.

Nice thing is, it's tunable so I can make it louder if I want.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Those noises are part of having a ProCharger. I happen to like the noise. You can always insulate your car or go with turbos.

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think Prochargers sound pretty sweet. Definately intimidating!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Anyone have a soundclip of their Procharger to share?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
Come to the fest this year Bleu! You won't need a soundclip...you can here me coming from about 2 miles away :D

Mike
And that bad boy sounds absolutely wicked. :yeadog:

·
Registered
413 Posts
have to give up something for HP, try listening to a H/C car if your concerned about a whine at idle ... they rock-n-roll, smell and bark at idle....but just like others have said the H/C folks "love their sound" also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It all has to do with how the gears are set within the head unit. My P1SC can not be heard even with the hood open. The only thing you can hear is a little bit of mechanical chatter, but next to zero blower whine.

You can have have ATI set the units to be noisy or quite. If the the unit has straight cut gears, it will be loud!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well, since i had two prochargers on my truck (nothin on the Z) I can comment. First off the noise comes from the intake into the blower, thats the spot to quiet it. The first setup was the base p1sc kit and I kept the factory rubber baffles under the hood (all ribbed and stuff, used to quiet down the intake tract) The second setup idle walkaround video was my crazy 400 smallblock (thats going in my 55 chevy with turbos since it was too much engine for the truck) with a F1 procharger (biggest small case blower they make before the race R models) This is with a K&N filter right on the inlet of the blower (wasn't goin for stealth at all...450/500 dyno'd before the 15 psi, so it could back up the noise..) Unfortunately blowers (especially prochargers) aren't the easiest to conceal as compared to nitrous or turbos.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I love the sound of a supercharger....mix that with the sound of a nice lope from a cam and then just take out my radio......I wont be needing it anymore ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vette1171 said:
I love the sound of a supercharger....mix that with the sound of a nice lope from a cam and then just take out my radio......I wont be needing it anymore ;)
I totally agree! :thumb:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Keep a little cheese with you to go along with your whine! Hey just part of the parcel, it does get a bit much at times, but the end result far outweighs the noise...At 70 mph i cannot hear mine, but at idle, it is loud :guiness:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts