Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the assembly line operates (maybe something the tour tells you)? I know they are building the Vettes pretty quickly, but I have no idea how it all comes togeher. I assume the major assemblies like the engine, tranny, differental, etc are already built and waiting -- then it all gets 'slapped' together.

Also, after the car is built, I hear it goes through some final QA and emmissons tests, and even a few cars get 'pulled' for further extensive testing and driving?

Does the assembly line run 7 days/week, 3 shifts, or is it a Monday thru Friday operation? Is it still "bad" to get a Monday or Friday car like the old days? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Anyway, it would be really cool if someone could do a detailed write-up on the whole process of the Vette build -- it could even be something that could be put on this board permanantly just like some of the other write-ups (like 63/01/02 Z06 Info). This could even give us less fortunate guys who can't get to Kentucy for a tour a feeling of going through it /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
ZeeOhSix,

Good post, I agree w/you info is golden. Hopefully the moderators will catch this as they are always improving the site.........

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would volunteer to write it up if I ever took the tour. Hey, maybe the board could raise some money to send me back there for a tour and some note taking /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

But seriously, I'm sure there have been many members on the tour that know alot about how the Vettes are produced, and what kind of things they 'test' on them before they go to us guys. I think it would be really interesting to know what goes into building these beauties /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice link Zapper!! Thanks!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

ZeeOhSix,

Sorry I wasn't much help. I went to BG last year to watch both of my Z's being built, but I became very ill while in BG and had to return home early.

I've been to BG twice since then, but didn't do the plant tour. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif The reason being, I work at an automotive assembly plant and I don't get too excited about touring assembly plants since I have seen dozens of them. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Basically at an assembly plant, all they do is assemble. They do not make the parts there. Engines, trannies, etc. are all made elsewhere.

The underbody structure is composed of many parts, which is then welded together in the assembly plants bodyshop, which is off limits, BTW.

They run one shift, usually 10 hrs per day, 5 days a week. They are allowed to work a few Saturdays of which the # is determined by their UAW contract. For instance, at the Assembly Plants for Ford, they are allowed to only work 6 Sats. per year.

All vehecles at any assembly plant is run on a dyno to test brakes, transmission, engine and a few other functions. Not the kind of dyno we test our Vettes on, but similar.

Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue Z06 -- check your private messages. If you call, I'll try to post your story here, or maybe you could just do that so we can all hear it /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

Zapper -- good link /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

fcalmes -- thanks for the info too /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Zee- While I was there (2 trips)I picked up a few tidbits. Please verify this as part of the total research:
1. 1,000,000 Sq. Ft. under roof.
2. Paint area is 300,000 Sq. Ft.
a. Dupont rep on site at all times in-
suring robots are painting consis-
tant colors.
3. Engines are all pre-assembled & pre-tested. The VIN # is not stamped into the block until right after the chassis and drivetrain are married toigether.
4. All body panels are painted separately on jigs.
5. GM employs a just-in-time (JIT) inventory process. Material required for a specific sequence number arrives at the specific trimline a few minutes before the car passes that station.
6. If it appears a part will not arrive in time, "runners" (in carts)locate the appropriate part and personally deliver it to the station where that seq # will pass.
7. ALL cars are 50 state/California emission certified.
8. ALL cars are run thru a dyno where the test driver and a computer test all mechanical functions. emissions, controls & options. Cars must be run up to between 72 and 75 mph for these tests. Braking is also tested at this time. As the cars leave the dyno area, a printer provides the results. If a car fails the dyno test, it is immediately pulled and sent over to the QC repair area before it can leave the plant.
9. After the dyno, cars are then run thru the water test. I believe the US test is for 2 to 3 minutes. The export models, however, must be tested at 7 or 8 minutes.
10. After all cars pass QC (2 stickers required), they are taken outside to a small driving area (not sure if it is a track)before taken to the parking/holding area for shipment by Allied trucking. Just before the driving area is the place the center caps are installed.
11. ALL Museum cars are given special treatment as far as expediting their movement out of the plant. They have "Museum Delivery" sheets placed on top of the dash to so designate special handling.

Hope this helps! (Sorry for the long response -- but you asked....
Regards,
Ken-

·
Registered
575 Posts
On 5 and 6, the JIT inventory has to do with inventory on hand at the factory too. The guy putting on the shocks has a whole case of shocks in front of him. If he gets low, he hits a red button. A red light goes on. This alerts inventory that he needs shocks. The inventory people put a load of shocks on the fork lift and head out to deliver them. The guy putting on the shocks knows when the fork lift left with his request as the red light now begins to flash. Those little audio song bytes you hear in the factory are audio alerts and the song tells you what section the request is coming from.
The whole process is quite interesting.
Bob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cape Cod Bob - I forgot the electronic signs and "songs". Kinda, Kool, huh????
Ken-

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C5Venom -- thanks much for the report. Did they get into why and how they do the 'long driving test' on some of the cars? You know, the testing that puts 25~30 miles on the car.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As pertains to the factory "dyno test", since they are limited to 72-75 mph, this does not really measure peak engine output.

But, do they have a min/max allowable rwhp or TQ vs. rpm band for acceptability or does this test just provide a load on the drive train to verify basic functionality? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-08-22 22:13, dsinned spewed forth this drivel:
Or this test just an stimulus to the drive train to verify functionality? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif
That's basically what it is. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

On 2001-08-22 22:13, dsinned spewed forth this drivel:

But, do they have a min/max allowable rwhp or TQ vs. rpm band for acceptability or does this test just provide a load on the drive train to verify basic functionality? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Probably seeing if the stupid clip-on wheel weights fly off at 75 MPH /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
More Details

The corvette is built in two basic elements, Cockpit and Running gear. The cockpit is assembled on a welded steel frame that has components added to it. The windshield, steering wheel and dashboard are added and joined to the rest of the cockpit. Add the basic body parts, doors, seats, interior trim, radiator, fuel tanks, wiring harnesses, etc.

On a separate line, the engine, transmission, torque tube and diferential are assembled on a fixture that moves along a different path in the plant. The two lines converge and the Cockpit is lowered on to the running gear. Suspension components are attached to the frame and additional components are added. These include headlights, battery, front facia, hood, wheels, and interconnections continue on wiring, clutch, brakes,exhaust system, etc. Add fluids and fuel and start the car. On the dynamometer, the vehicle is plugged into a computer which checks all of the electrical functions in the car. If any defects are discovered, that car is pulled off the line for repairs at the end.

Periodically a car is selected and driven on the test track behind the plant for QA purposes. These tests put no more than about 20 miles on the vehicle.

Hope this is helpful. jerboa :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Janet,

With those astute observations, I bet you used to work in an automotive plant. ;) ;) ;)

From someone who also works in ones. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
fcalmes said:
Janet,

With those astute observations, I bet you used to work in an automotive plant. ;) ;) ;)

From someone who also works in ones. :D
Frank, I actually have worked in a number of manufacturing plants making items from overhead cranes, gas separators, electronic equipment and yes, even automobiles. The Corvette Plant blew away anything I had ever see before with the computer automization. When a tire is put on a wheel, it is designated for a specific car in the sequence. I had a great tour guide in B.G.
jerboa ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Janet,

Welcome back sounds like you had a great time.Did you see any parts for my car? LOL . My TPW is 9/17 woo hoo_Ok i feel better now G.:D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
jerboa said:

Frank, I actually have worked in a number of manufacturing plants making items from overhead cranes, gas separators, electronic equipment and yes, even automobiles. The Corvette Plant blew away anything I had ever seen before with the computer automation. When a tire is put on a wheel, it is designated for a specific car in the sequence. I had a great tour guide in B.G.
jerboa ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts