Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to spring for the sensors for my race tires so that it could be driven on the track without activating brakes and ASR. Now that I have the sensors (will have soon) how do I get the Corvette to pick them up?
Some folks have said that the '05 Z06 could be programmed without any tools. I don't know if that works on a '06 Z06 but if so, I should be able to do that now. Anyone have knowledge on this subject? Right now I have the street tires on with sensors and the Vette does not see them.

Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is the first mod that I did after I got my Z. I have a friend who is a Corvette technician, so I took the car to him and he installed the sensors and turned the sensors on for me. Although I am not familiar with the specifics, I am pretty sure it is nothing more than turning the sensors on through the on board computer. If you do not have a local Vette technician I would call your local Chevy dealer and get a price to do this. It should not be much since it did not take my tech but a few minutes to do this on mine.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did your Tech use a magnet or some other kind of tool?

Ron
I am not sure about the magnet, but I am sure that he had to turn the pressure sensor system on through the computer. He told me it was a simple process. Same computer in the Z as the other C5s, but the sensor feature is not turned on from the factory since they did not come with sensors.

I know another member of the Z16 forum who just put the sensors on and I gave him the same information and he had the sensors installed by his local tire dealer that he deals with and then took it to a Chevy dealer to have them turned on.

I hope that helps some!

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I am not sure about the magnet, but I am sure that he had to turn the pressure sensor system on through the computer. He told me it was a simple process. Same computer in the Z as the other C5s, but the sensor feature is not turned on from the factory since they did not come with sensors.

I know another member of the Z16 forum who just put the sensors on and I gave him the same information and he had the sensors installed by his local tire dealer that he deals with and then took it to a Chevy dealer to have them turned on.

I hope that helps some!

Rich
A Tech II is used to turn on the monitoring feature within the BCM of the computer on C5 Z06s. Since they didn't come with run flat tires, it wasn't enabled by default.

·
Registered
283 Posts
for an 07 z ya need "tire pressure monitor diagnostic tool j-46079. this is from 3 vol. shop manual. no more magnets .go figure

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had to spring for the sensors for my race tires so that it could be driven on the track without activating brakes and ASR. Now that I have the sensors (will have soon) how do I get the Corvette to pick them up?
Some folks have said that the '05 Z06 could be programmed without any tools. I don't know if that works on a '06 Z06 but if so, I should be able to do that now. Anyone have knowledge on this subject? Right now I have the street tires on with sensors and the Vette does not see them.

Ron
First of all, there is no '05 Z06.

All C6's from 2005 through 2008 use the exact same sensor - GM Part# 25758220. That's ALL C6's (coupes, verts, base suspension, Z51, F55, Z06). Actually Euro spec cars use a different sensor part#, but you can't get a Euro spec car delivered in the U.S.

The C5 Z06 did not come with runflats and the TPMS was not activated when it was built. If you wanted to put runflats on your C5 Z06 and run sensors, the dealer could use a Tech 2 to turn the TPMS on.

The C6 was built to meet the new Federal Law that requires sensors and TPMS in all 2008 model year vehicles less than 10,000 lbs. The law requires that the system must not be able to be turned off.

If you have an '06 Z06 you will have to have a TPMS tool that transmits a radio frequency to trigger them during the relearn procedure. XFordGuy posted up a link to one of my videos that shows how to use such a tool on a C6, but below is a video that shows another tool being used.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
A Tech II is used to turn on the monitoring feature within the BCM of the computer on C5 Z06s. Since they didn't come with run flat tires, it wasn't enabled by default.
You are correct you need a Tech II and a strong magnet:yeadog:for the C5 Z

:cheers:
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
That particular tool is a Schrader 21210, which is the exact same tool as the Bartec Tech 300.

You can use any TPMS reset tool - a TIPS/KTi, OTC 3833 (which is the same tool as the official GM J-46079 tool except that the OTC 3833 has software for all sensors, not just GM), ATEQ, or any of the other Schrader/Bartec tools.

I don't believe any of the forum supporting vendors have any of these tools, but you can find them on that popular online auction site.

The TIPS/KTi (same tool just different colors) can usually be purchased online for about $325.

The OTC 3833 can be purchased for about $400 to $700. The identical looking tool with the GM only software (Kent-Moore J-46079) can sometimes be found for around $350)

The Bartec Tech 300 and the same tool distributed by Schrader as the model 21210 are sometimes available for about $350.

Except for the GM tool, those are all completely universal tools that will work with all sensors (and the software in all of them is upgradeable as new sensors come out) and any tire shop would like to have any of them. If you keep an eye out on the auction site you might find one for down around $200 occassionally.

Our sensors require only a "continuous wave" transmission from the tool and some of the low-end very simple tools that came out several years ago will work with our sensors. One such tool is the Bartec Trackside, which can be purchased for $140 plus shipping from one source. If you need contact info PM me.

The problem with the Trackside is that it's a C6 only tool (and they have a version for the Viper and one for the Mustang). Considering that as of the 2008 model year ALL 4-wheeled vehicles less than 10,000 lbs must have sensors and TPMS you might rather spend more and get a completely universal tool to work with the sensors on your other vehicles, and as I mentioned, keep watching the auction site and you'll find good deals in the low $200 range from time to time.

Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could anyone confirm that the ateq vt-10 would work in a 2008 C6Z please?
Yep...I'll confirm that!!

I've never used a VT10, but I've used a couple other models of ATEQ tools and many other makes/models of reset tools.

I've talked (well....sent PM's back-n-forth) with many C6 owners that use the VT10 and they report that it works great.

For $99 + $15 shipping it's without a doubt the cheapest tool available new, and it's a completely universal tool that will work with all current sensors. Perhaps its only drawback is that it can't be upgraded if new sensors with different triggering codes are produced.

If I didn't already have a tool the VT10 is the one I'd get!!

Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess you know where to get the ATEQ VT10 (directly from them!).

It comes with NO instructions. However, if you watch my video (linked in one of the posts above), you'll use the VT10 in exactly the same manner as any other tool after you put the car into the "learn mode" (again, as in the video - ignition to ACC mode, push and hold the "lock" and "unlock" button on the Fob until you hear a horn honk).

The main thing you need to know about the VT10 is that you will use the LEFT button to trigger our C6 sensors (the right button is used for triggering other makes of sensors on other vehicles).

Bob

·
Registered
360 Posts
I guess you know where to get the ATEQ VT10 (directly from them!).

It comes with NO instructions. However, if you watch my video (linked in one of the posts above), you'll use the VT10 in exactly the same manner as any other tool after you put the car into the "learn mode" (again, as in the video - ignition to ACC mode, push and hold the "lock" and "unlock" button on the Fob until you hear a horn honk).

The main thing you need to know about the VT10 is that you will use the LEFT button to trigger our C6 sensors (the right button is used for triggering other makes of sensors on other vehicles).

Bob

Bob,

Thank you so much for your ATEQ VT-10 operation note!!:gjob:

When I used the "left" button versus the right button, the car worked in accessory mode, after letting the car sit for over 2 minutes after run, after pressing/holding the vehicle remote lock & unlock buttons together; and then using the VT-10 to program the left-front, right-front, right-rear and then left-rear per the Vette magazine article from Ecklers Corvette. Your post stressed that we should use the left button versus the right on the VT-10 for C6 Vettes. Note that I instinctively used the right button as this is located under the transmit light and the left button is under the low battery light. Believe me I tried everything else but click my heels together 3 times and Firestone Tire could get it to work either, after they boasted that they could do it with their scan tool or mine! It is too bad that nothing made in China comes with any instructions and the Y-Car factory shop manual did not help in this area either. I would have probably wasted more time and money with GM dealer to do it without ever trying this simple variation, without your post! This site saved me money this time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad that tip to use the left button worked for ya!!!:thumb:

I just edited my previous post - for some reason the link to the video using a Schrader tool wasn't working anymore, so I put up a video using a TIPS tool.

Just to update things:

The 2010 and newer Vette uses a DIFFERENT SENSOR!!!

For 2010 GM changed the TPMS computer in the Corvette. It uses a different sensor. The good news is: 1-it's cheaper; and 2-YOU DON'T NEED A TOOL!!!

The GM Part# 15268606 is the tire pressure sensor for 2010 or newer Vettes.

The 2005-2009 uses GM Part# 25758220.

The 2005-2009 sensor won't work in a 2010+, and the 2010+ sensor won't work in the 2005-2009 Vettes.

You don't need a TPMS tool to trigger the 2010+ sensors during a relearn procedure. This sensor has been used in other GM vehicles for several years, and it can be triggered by CHANGING AIR PRESSURE in the tire.

To register/program the new sensors if you swap wheels on your 2010+, you'd do the procedure exactly the same as an earlier Vette, except you just need to let air out of the tire to trigger the sensor. You'd put the car into the learn mode the same as in the video, but when you go to the wheels to trigger the sensor to send its data to the TPMS, you just let out air until you get a honk of the horn at each wheel (double honk at the Left Rear), then turn off the ignition and you're done. Well.....you'll need a compressor to bring the tires back up to normal pressure.

BTW, if you have a tool they will respond to that as well.

Bob

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad that tip to use the left button worked for ya!!!:thumb:

I just edited my previous post - for some reason the link to the video using a Schrader tool wasn't working anymore, so I put up a video using a TIPS tool.

Just to update things:

The 2010 and newer Vette uses a DIFFERENT SENSOR!!!

For 2010 GM changed the TPMS computer in the Corvette. It uses a different sensor. The good news is: 1-it's cheaper; and 2-YOU DON'T NEED A TOOL!!!

The GM Part# 15268606 is the tire pressure sensor for 2010 or newer Vettes.

The 2005-2009 uses GM Part# 25758220.

The 2005-2009 sensor won't work in a 2010+, and the 2010+ sensor won't work in the 2005-2009 Vettes.

You don't need a TPMS tool to trigger the 2010+ sensors during a relearn procedure. This sensor has been used in other GM vehicles for several years, and it can be triggered by CHANGING AIR PRESSURE in the tire.

To register/program the new sensors if you swap wheels on your 2010+, you'd do the procedure exactly the same as an earlier Vette, except you just need to let air out of the tire to trigger the sensor. You'd put the car into the learn mode the same as in the video, but when you go to the wheels to trigger the sensor to send its data to the TPMS, you just let out air until you get a honk of the horn at each wheel (double honk at the Left Rear), then turn off the ignition and you're done. Well.....you'll need a compressor to bring the tires back up to normal pressure.

BTW, if you have a tool they will respond to that as well.

Bob

Looks like a valuable update!

A friend of mine is a Volvo mechanic and he claims that when you have to change a sensor, that the car figures it all out automatically. Why can't GM do that? I rotated the tires on my wifes 2010 Nissan Maxima swapping from front to back, and that car had no problem with it! Of course, I do not know if the Nissan is location specific for their sensors and I have not ordered a shop manual for that car yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am a little anal when it come to tire pressures. My question is how to you get the factory TPMS to calibrate to the correct tire pressures? One of my front tires actual reading is 32 LBS and the DIC shows 30. One of my rear tires is 29.5 actual but the DIC reads 32. I always use the same digital tire gauge and usually take the pressure 2 or more times to make sure I have a good reading. Is this just something I need to live with. The Z has the standard tires and is a '13 model. The other two tires readings are in sync with the DIC.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am a little anal when it come to tire pressures. My question is how to you get the factory TPMS to calibrate to the correct tire pressures? One of my front tires actual reading is 32 LBS and the DIC shows 30. One of my rear tires is 29.5 actual but the DIC reads 32. I always use the same digital tire gauge and usually take the pressure 2 or more times to make sure I have a good reading. Is this just something I need to live with. The Z has the standard tires and is a '13 model. The other two tires readings are in sync with the DIC.
I added new sensors to the aftermarket spyders and tires, when I installed them in 2010. I have found the sensors are within 1/2 pound of what I measure directly, so I am either lucky or you have a sensor that is out of spec.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts