Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

My brother-in-law keeps pressuring me to go to a track event with my Z06 the next time they have one at the Poconos. Now, I'm one that keeps my car in pristine condition and can be considered to baby it somewhat. (Not all true :)) He's got an BMW M5 that he takes to the events.
This would be an opprtunity to take my Z to breakneck speeds around an oval track. Although this sounds like an exhilarating experience (since you can't do this on public roads without going to jail :D ), I just was wondering what wear and tear (if any) can the car sustain by going to these events.
I definitely would buy a front cover/bra before going to prevent chips. Like I said, I'm a fanatic with keeping the outside of the car immaculate. I suspect brake pad wear would occur but I'm not concerned with that. My brother-in-law said I would definitely get hooked if I did this.

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Recently attended a track event and there were
15 vehicles.

A guy who works for me took his NSX and the result was:

1. Warped brake rotors
2. Probably the equivalent of 10,000 miles on the tires that
day
3. $4k in front end damage because he let his girlfriend take
it around the track at the end of the day and she lost it.

Seriously though, one guy from the office took his C5 and
except for wearing the brakes a little faster and scrubbing off
a few miles on his tires, that was about it.

They asked me if I was going to take the new Z out when I ever get it and I probably won't. If I wanted to do that I should have kept the C5 Z to track.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Do it :jammin:
Had a '94 that I kept in concours condition all the time. Decided time was running and I wasn't, so I sold it in '03 and got the Z.
Not eligible for hi speed running, I did my first "lo speed" (<80mph) track event on the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point WV six weeks later.
Went to Pocono driving school on road course comprising part of oval and infield. (this is the slower of the two road courses ... speeds up to 130 in a stock Z when running the oval section of the course) After first day walked away in awe of what the car was capable of (way beyond my capabilities).
Cost of the experience ... a little wear on tires and pads.
Cost of continuing ... more wear, bleeding brakes and new brake fluid if you boil it.
Value of the experience: Priceless
BTW: somewhere here there's a thread with a QS Z at Pocono all taped up with blue painters tape. I had streaks all over from "road turds" ... rubber marbles one kicks up when riding up on the wall on the oval ... but they came off ...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
You will kill tires, brakes, and clutch brake oil fluids. All easily replaceable.

Don't use a bra, it will flap at those speeds and mess up the paint. Use painters low tack tape to mask vulnerable areas.

Be careful of the car, it reaches crazy speeds fast. First time so take it easy.

Be even MORE careful of the other drivers. Everytime I track, I run into morons in slow cars who really think its a race, and try to do things like blocking. Last time at the track it almosted ended in a fist fight once me and the other jerk got off the track, but he apologized so I let it go.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Most folks have given you the potential "damage" to your car, minor at best, as long as you do not get stupid and put it in the wall.

Break rotors are $25 each at NAPA, break pads are cheap (you can even get race pads that you use just for track days, saving your regular pads for daily driving), tire wear is completely up to how hard you drive the car through the turns. Brake and oil are cheap to replace.

The enjoyment I get out of driving this car the way it was meant to be driven, far outweighs any "damage" that happens to the car during a track event. Nothing will happen to the car that a good detailing won't repair. Using the blue painters tape will diminish the vas majority of any damage to the body.

Go for it, no sense saving the car for the next owner, this is your chance "to drive it like you stole it..."

mark

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
MikeyB said:
You will kill tires, brakes, and clutch brake oil fluids. All easily replaceable.

Don't use a bra, it will flap at those speeds and mess up the paint. Use painters low tack tape to mask vulnerable areas.

Be careful of the car, it reaches crazy speeds fast. First time so take it easy.

Be even MORE careful of the other drivers. Everytime I track, I run into morons in slow cars who really think its a race, and try to do things like blocking. Last time at the track it almosted ended in a fist fight once me and the other jerk got off the track, but he apologized so I let it go.

I use the C5 bra, not the Z06 one, as the C5 bra fits better. Just cut out the clear plastic for the intake holes (I have the Vararam) and you're going to take care of the front end; also get mirror covers! I use black racer tape over the headlight covers and behind the wheels and it all works like a charm. Be sure to upgrade your brakes (Carbotech pads) and change your fluids, especially the brake fluid. You will get hooked and want to go as often as you can! :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
It just depends on what you bought your car for. Did you buy it, so you can look at a pretty car whenever you want? If yes, then definitely don't take it on track. You may not want to drive it on the street either, as S happens ya know. Best thing to do in this case is park it in a garage, & keep a car cover on it. If you want to look at it, or show your friends, then just take the cover off & replace when you are done looking. This type of ownership is very low cost/maintenace, & will result in minimal depreciation. Oh yeah, you should drain all fluids for proper storage.

If you bought your car to drive it, then a track is the place where you can drive to you or your car's limits. I don't know about being pressured by somebody to do this. If you don't want to drive on the track, just say NO!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
A word of caution, I was dragged by another member to ponoco last year and the after way too many years I am now hooked again.

There is nothing like driving a Z on the track. Once you go, you will most likely want to do it again. And to go faster, you will buy better brakes, tires, etc. Then there is the travel to other tracks and hotel rooms.

There is nothing quite like it. Go for it :thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Everyone basically mentioned all you need to know... It is definitely addictive if you like this sort of thing and since you own a Z06, I would assume that you do.
I haven't raced my Z06 yet but I've raced my previous sports car every chance I had and those are the best moments that I remember with that car. It's one of a kind experience. I'd say try it. If you don't like it then you can put it behind you and move on, otherwise you'll be hooked and loving it! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You will get all kinds of paint chips, windshield chips, molten rubber in the wheel wells and along the flanks, etc. While you can clean the car pretty well afterwards if you are diligent, if you are a fanatic for how it looks, I would avoid it.

Also, no way I'd run an oval unless I was taking it pretty easy. You screw up on an oval and you have nowhere to go but into a wall--no run off space.

If you go, take it very easy, as the skills necessary for tracking a car are not developed just by owning a hot car.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't know about others,but all the DEs I've been to run in classes from beginner to advanced and are considered driving schools.Beginners must have an instructor to show them the driving line and when and where to shift and brake.A good instructor is a wealth of knowledge and can teach you things you cannot learn anywhere else.Start slow and don't push it and spend the first couple of events learning and you will be addicted in no time.Next year move up to Intermediate class. :thumb:
I recommend using the quick tack painters tape on the nose and all along the bottom and over the fenderwells.Tire chunks will come off the track and leave,hard to remove,black streaks everywhere.I change all my fluids and check EVERYTHING,before and after each event.Watch your oil and tranny temps.trans temp will display in the DIC when over 271deg.
I started doing DEs in an 85 coupe and now my lap times have greatly improved in my Z06 :z: I love this car on the track.Very quick and nimble and well balanced.It will definitely put a Z06 :D on your face.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS for all your feedback ! After absorbing all the replies from everyone, I'm probably going to hold off on these track events for awhile. I'm too much into the showcar look and from what it sounds like, these events can cause nicks and tickmarks which I'm not ready for yet with only 2200 miles on the clock. The roads on Long Island offer a lot of adrenaline rushes with all the winding turns and decent road quality so I'll enjoy the car just driving around here.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Oh yeah, change brake fluid to something HD before going, then fluid changes after. Don't want to risk the brake fade.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
And show up with a completely full tank of gas, you'll get about 7mpg plus or minus, depending on how it goes for you, and your speed.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Pro: You will have a blast
Con: It is addicting
Pro: Three years after your first DE in the Z06 you could have an SCCA Divisional Championship under your belt with two appreances on the SPEED channel
Con: You could have the bill for the last Pro... :D

Seriously,
I'm not sure an oval would be the first place I went to a DE, especially for a cleaning fanatic unless you are disciplined enough to limit your speeds with well within your ability.

Expect:
- High brake wear if you have to do any serious braking (and potentially problems with overheating the fluid and stock pads)
- Excessive tire wear (I wore out my stock F1 fronts in 3000 miles which included two DE days)
- Debris damage to the front of the car and windshield due to the tires picking up little rocks and flinging them into the air which are then driven into by the car behind. I know several people who have combatted this by various means including bra's, clear tape, unclear tape, etc.

If you go, be careful, but have fun.
P.S. I suggest changing the oil beforehand and making sure to run a full quart over all day. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Subdriver said:
Pro: You will have a blast
Con: It is addicting
:yeadog: In my case, the latter is more the issue. I don't even drive my car on the street anymore and have all but gutted it for the track. :roll: :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
I run 6 to 8 track events a year and by looking at my car at a show you would never know it. I personally think there are more dangers of chipping your paint or windshield daily driving then at the track. Every Z owner should try a track event at least once, thats what the car was built for.

You should have some training with an instructor for at least three events before soloing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have tracked the car once. I was a car behind another car that went off the track. I got into all the rocks, dirt and other debris the car shot onto the track. I have rock chips on the hood from it. Wore 2/32 off all four tires. More brake dust than I have ever seen. The brakes don't squeak anymore. I wanted to see everything this car had to offer!! I let the oil temp get up to 277. Then took it easy until it cooled to 245. Their was only one other Z06. He got the trans. overheat. The C6's with the Z51 option never had oil temps above 230. We had 43 cars on a 2.5 mile course.

That was the bad. If I didn't plan on keeping this car to drive on the street I would put an oil cooler on it and track it every opportunity I had. It's a BLAST. This is what the car was designed for. If you do it once it wont be too hard on the car. If you have deep pockets then it doesn't matter how much you hit the track.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts