Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally was at a track close enough to home that I could go home during lunch and literally test both on the same day.
Also Turn 1 track days on Friday is like 4 hours of time almost on your own out there.

See mods below. Tire pressure and temps optimized for each the best i could with my alignment (which is aggresive street but not enough camber).

To save brakes (you know what I mean if you have run at CMP) I let off full throttle (maintanied speed) at same spot on front and back straight. Saved brakes and was consistent although about 1.5 seconds were lost consistantly.

All times were clean laps with tires hot.
Cup's: 295/30/18 front on 18x11's, 315/30/18's on 18x12 rear
Toyo's: 275/40/17 front and 305/35/18 rear stock rims

Pilot Cup Tires: Morning 2 sessions (85 and 92 degrees)
34 front, 34 rear hot pressure.

1:54:05 best 1:54:56 avg. 1:55:78 worst 2nd session

Comments: takes 3-4 laps to really heat up nicely. A little more work and not as predictable. Doesn't like tight autocross section but more grip under braking it feels like.

Toyo's RA1: Afternoon session (only 1 cause cracked rotors)
36 front and 34 rear (95 degrees out)

1:53:652 best 1:54:18 avg. 1:54:98 worst

Comments: Grip fairly well early. Carousel is much better and has 3 more mph exit speed as rear grips better on exit. Slower feeling in kink though as turn in is not as good.
very predictable and stay consistent all session fr the most part.

Conclusions:
Not enough for me to warrant having more expensive tires and rims instead of just using stcok ones. Yes I know not as safe as CCW's but on non slicks shouldn't be an issue with stress.
Likely going to sell CCW's and PSC's (anyone interested they are the black center so email me) and use funds for a set of toyo's and several track weekends or maybe an extra set of stock rims also.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although if I end out doing viper days challenge series next year I need these tires or stock sport tires.
Hmm.....
I wish I didn't love there event somuch and like beating vipers at there own namesake events.

·
Registered
161 Posts
:thumb: I've been looking at which tires I want to step up to (KD's right now), and it's nice to see a comparison between the two!

·
Registered
744 Posts
PSCs vs. RA1s (also Hoosier notes)

Similiarly, I have had both, but I ran the PSCs on a set of replica wheels I got that had 65mm offset.

The PSCs corded after only 4 track or race days. The Toyos have generally lasted 8 track or race days.

I am about .5 to 1.0 second faster with the Toyos on 2 mile road courses (Gingerman and Blackhawk Farms).

Last race, I used a set of Hoosiers for the first time (305 rear, 285 front, both 18's). They cut off another second and were sweeeeeet!

I'll not be using PSCs, again. I'd like to keep using Toyos for rain / practice, Hoosiers for racing. Only question is the wheels. I have an 18/17 set (stock) and the all 18 set. I may go with the C6/Z51 setup and in that case I need 18's in front.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Great info! Thanks!

Sal

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Full tread.
If you drive to events they will usually where nicely all the way down. My current set is down to about 2/32's and is just about worn on the outside so just about right timing.

The whole thing really hit home for me going with the toyo's. I know they will never be hoosiers but most places sell the front's for $175 a piece and $295 for the rears. So under $1,000 for all 4 tires beats the $1,200 for the PSC's.

Problem is I really like the look of the CCW rims.
:cry:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cool. I'll either pick up a set of CCW's, Kodiaks, or just another set of stock rims I guess. Have you thought about running the ra1's on 18" all the way around?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I bought a set from frisby race tire (google for it). $1006 shipped. Ordered on a Monday morning, tires showed up tuesday.

Why not run the 305/18 up front, and a 335/18 in back?

·
Banned
809 Posts
mgarfias said:
I bought a set from frisby race tire (google for it). $1006 shipped. Ordered on a Monday morning, tires showed up tuesday.

Why not run the 305/18 up front, and a 335/18 in back?
Frisby in Northern Illinois? I know of a shop by the name of Frisby here in Illinois and I know that they race.

Sal

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm running RA1's on stock rims as well. I've been happy with the tires, used to run them on my S2000 also. Good life, good consistancy, reasonably priced. One comment I have is about tire pressure. I run 30 psi cold which gets up to a little over 40 psi hot (it's usually 40 psi after a cool down lap when I check in the pits). Tire temps seem to suggest my tire pressure is where it should be as well as Toyo tech's recommendation of low 40's hot. Any reason why you're running them at a lower pressure?

·
Registered
135 Posts
freefall said:
What sizes are you running (tires and wheels) and did you need spacers?
I run 275/35/18 front and 305/35/18 rear RA1's on 18x10 front and 18x11 rear CCW wheels with a +25mm offset. I needed spacers when I had the leaf springs because the inside wheel/tire would rub on the leaf spring but I switched to coilovers and don't have that problem anymore.

George

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run those specific pressures with my setup (suspension, alignment,etc..).
It isn't that far off from your's and every car is unique.
:yeadog:

·
Registered
107 Posts
The first time I ran Toyo RA1 tires I thought I had 4 flat tires. It took 2 to 3 sessions before they started to feel good. After 6 DE events they are pretty worn out. The best thing about these tires is that the more they wear out the better they grip.
I ran mine at 37 psi hot. 275/40/17 305/35/18 on stock Z06 rims.

Steve

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Am eyeballing the new nitto NT001's r whatever they are called.
315/30/18 and 275/35/18 in front.
Look to be a good cheap tire when I look at the Av8ss website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts