Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2002 Z06 with 148000 miles. I have read some forums where people say if it has been maintained well it should not be an issue? It is in beautiful shape and listed by a corvette dealer. It has some nice modifications. It also, has a supercharger (Procharger) which concerns me with additional torque on the engine over its life time? The asking price is $19,900, TMV is listed for $12,500. Would I be better to pay a bit more for one with less miles? Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is a mileage deduct of about $4,600.00, I guarantee you the dealer did not give the customer more money for the trade because it had a supercharger on it. All that aftermarket add on stuff nets you zero dollars at trade in time. If I were you, I would look for the lowest mileage unmolested car you can find. You wont be sorry if you pay a little more for a car that hasn't been jacked with. Trust me if you want to add a Procharger then do it to a stock car you will have fewer problems than with one that has been "improved".

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would agree with the previous posters. I bought my '03 Z for only a few thousand more than what that dealer is asking and that was 7 years ago and it had under 4,000 miles on it at the time. A car approaching 150,000 miles, while likely still ok is best left to someone who plans to gut it and/or rebuild a lot of things. You might save a few thousand now, but I can almost guarantee your cost of ownership over the next five years will be much higher than buying a car that has 100,000 less miles on it. A car with 150k miles has a lot of parts on it that are likely at, or near, the end of their useful life. You may also want to consider that if they did engine mods, it wasn't so they could cruise around nicely in 6th gear at 55 mph...

In the end you should buy what makes you happy, but the C5Z is still far too plentiful to feel like you have buy the first one that comes along. Now if you are in AK or HI, you choices may be limited, but in the lower 48 there are likely hundreds of them within a couple hundred miles of your location. Just keep kicking over all the rocks and you eventually find a diamond.

Ryan J

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to sell my 02 a several years ago, and just last year found an 03 Z06 with 8700 miles that I paid ~$25k for...they're out there :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remember that what a car lists for and what it sells for are often quite different. If you have cash in hand for an older car, then you can buy one from a private seller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts