Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my first NASA event. To be honest, they didn't seem very organized and the event was overbooked by about 50% otherwise it was great to try out a new track.

Last session on Sunday really made up for a lot of disappointments earlier in the weekend. It was my first time to the track and I was curious how fast I can actually go. Unfortunately I was not able to get a clean lap whatsoever. Which meant that I ended up loosing my time trial class to a modded 993 turbo.

In the last session where I actually got to string a few laps together, I managed 1:18.36 which is pretty decent especially with a passenger and would've won TTA by 1/2 second. Oh well, maybe next time I can figure out where to grid for most clean laps.

Open passing in HPDE4 is fun. NASA's HPDE3 group was pretty mediocre, one guy almost ran me off the road. They definitely don't have the driver's skills that I thought they would.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Do they use transponders for times? What is the format for the TT?

MCSCC is running a TT event at Autobahn Counrty Club on the north circuit this Saturday.

Practice sessions are 10-15 car groups with similar times and passing is only allowed on the one long straight.

Timed runs are one car at a time at 10-15 second intervals from a standing start in the pit lane. They use timing lights. If the car in from of you holds you up, you get a re-run. This is first event at Autobahn, so set-up might be a little different.

Typically about 3-4 practice sessions in morning and 3-4 timed runs in afternoon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NASA runs AMB transponders, but they stop timing on Sunday afternoon. They run HPDE4 and Time Trial together, which puts over 30 cars on a 1.9 mile track, so traffic is a HUGE issue. Granted I was one of the fastest if not the fastest car there, but the discrepancy in speed is still quite alarming. You get these slow pokes spec miata guys doing 1:35's or whatever they're running that really don't know how to yield to quicker traffic and ruin your lap. So to get a quick lap with NASA is almost impossible unless you have AWD and can go fast on cold tires. All things considered I would rate NASA as road racing for the masses with all the good and bad things that it entails. Organization was mediocre at best and they had WAY too many cars on the track that were vastly different.

They should limit participation to fewer cars even if that means raising the price. Also it would be prudent to not allow HPDE2 people into the HPDE3 group and really tighten the requirements so that HPDE3 and HPDE4 are really the fast groups. There were so many trains going around in HPDE3 it wasn't funny.

Sunday afternoon when everyone left was great though. We got a 40 minute session with maybe a dozen cars on the track, by the end of the session most of the cars have pitted so it was really open lapping and your best chance the whole weekend to get some quick times in. By that point it didn't matter though except for bragging rights;).

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's too bad that timed runs have to deal with traffic. I don't mind slower cars in practice groups if they watch their mirrors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's sort of equal for all since everyone is in the same run group. But definitely the person who manages to get a clean lap is going to get the advantage. In HPDE4 most people are very good about being passed, but it only takes one slow car who isn't very courteous to screw up your timed run. At least you get some practice passing people which is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love that track!! never raced my car on it tho, I race enduro karts there.

I would also recommend, Mid Ohio, Road America, and Grattan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to Grattan on Monday May 30th, went to RA earlier in April. Probably won't get to go back there until October. I'd love to run Mid-Ohio it's just a little bit far from Chicago and makes it challenging...

·
Registered
51 Posts
gotcha...well if you ever get a chance to go there i recommend it :thumb:

we use the AMB transponders also lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to NASA again last weekend - everything I've said about NASA before is true and then some. They've booked MORE cars for this event and I though it was terribly overbooked last time. Imagine ~50 cars on a 1.8 mile track that run anywhere from 1:17 to 1:40, just doesn't seem like a good idea other then for some intense passing practice.

Organization of the event was pretty poor as well, half of the officials had no idea what was going on. Had a couple of big accidents - one guy went to the hospital with a broken shoulder, numerous car to car contacts. So if you have other options I would consider them before NASA.

On a positive note, I ran with Hoosiers this time and the tires are really quick. I managed 1:18.0 with traffic, I think the car is good for low 1:17 if not 1:16 - unfortunately never got a chance to get any clear laps in to find out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
MCSCC is probably at the other end of the spectrum. 10 cars on track in run groups & timed runs. Total track time is less but almost over-safe. They are talking about transponders for next season which might allow a little more track time. Re-runs really eat up time if lights go down or someone goes off and comes thru lights out of sequence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts