Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading about a lot of you getting your vettes from Rick or Karl or other out-of-state dealers. Are you all just buying w/o a trade in? Are you getting rid of another car to get the Z? Are you trading your car in w/ the out-of-state dealer?

If so what about taxes? Aren't you paying full boat taxes on the new Z? and doesn't that negate the price savings by a lot?

I tried to work with one of the supporting vendors and they offered me 39K for my 2001 Z (two months ago), but giving a small discount on MSRP. My dealer in Dallas gave me 41.5 for the 2001 (a week ago), charged MSRP and I only paid a few hundred in sales tax.

Tell me where is the savings?

BTW 41.5K for my car was about what I could of sold it for.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sold my '98 coupe locally, then ordered an '02 MY Z06 from Karl Johanson. Because New Hampshire doesn't have sales tax (or income tax :) :) :) ) there is no tax for me buying in TN.

My cost to have it courtesy delivered is $275.00 - more than offset by the discount I was able to get with Karl.

I'm not sure how it would work in a state with sales tax....

My $0.02

Brian

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bjackson said:
I sold my '98 coupe locally, then ordered an '02 MY Z06 from Karl Johanson. Because New Hampshire doesn't have sales tax (or income tax :) :) :) ) there is no tax for me buying in TN.

My cost to have it courtesy delivered is $275.00 - more than offset by the discount I was able to get with Karl.

I'm not sure how it would work in a state with sales tax....

My $0.02

Brian
bjackson,

no sales tax... wow!

whats your state income tax? Texas is 0.

Bob

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
New Hamphire is 0 income tax. But they whack you every year you go to registar the car. All and all it's still less in NH. :D :D

Brian (Bjackson), did you ever run into Dan from Litchfield (01 torch red Z)? When's the 02 MY come in? Have you seen the post for the dyno day in Worcester? Dan, Mark (from Billrica) and myself are meeting in Chelmsford for breakfest on Dyno day if you care to join us. You probably shouldn't dyno the 02 before it has been broken in, but we'd be glad to meet a fellow Z06er!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I didn't go to a non-local dealer to get a better deal, I went to get ANY deal, as long as it wasn't above MSRP. In other words, I didn't have faith that my small local dealer could get the car I wanted in this lifetime (or at least during the first 6 months of production). Any dealer can request any car they want, but the cars they actually can order depends entirely on what GM chooses to allocate, which is based on last year's sales for the dealership. So the small dealer really has trouble getting hard-to-get cars. For those of us who don't live in big cities, going to an out-of-state dealer is sometimes the only (or fastest) way to get what we want.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

If 41.5 is the going retail market for the 01 Z06 and that is what the dealer gave you for it, how does the dealer make a profit when he sells the car? Guys believe me you can make #s look any way you want on paper for a trade in. It is the diff. between the two cars that matters, and that is all that matters.
:eek:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

If 41.5 is the going retail market for the 01 Z06 and that is what the dealer gave you for it, how does the dealer make a profit when he sells the car? Guys believe me you can make #s look any way you want on paper for a trade in. It is the diff. between the two cars that matters, and that is all that matters. The dealer is not going to do a deal that he can`t make a profit on both the new car and the trade. Why would he that is how he stays in business.
:eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I ordered mine out of state and had it dropped shipped to a local dealer. I worked a deal with the local dealer to except the trade. The local dealer then wrote a check to the out of state purchasing dealer. This works well if you can 1) Get a dealer to except a drop ship 2) Get a decent deal on your trade and 3) Are in a tax difference state. It is all on the up and up since taxes are done in the purchaser's state.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too sold my previous car (2000 Firebird Formula) locally to a dealership for blue book trade in. Not bad. Then I ordered my Z from out of state because for me that's the only way to get it fast and cheap. I suppose if you were gonna trade in your car to an out-of-state dealer you'd have to pay for shipping it there. How it is with taxes depends on which two states are involved. :-?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought mine out of state because the Dallas dealers want to charge a huge premium for Yellow. I could have gotten an OK deal on another color - but I wanted Yellow. They wouldn't even talk about anything less than $5K over sticker. More like $10K usually.

D.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Texas here

I am not trading in anything, so I can't help you there.

I plan on financing 50%--I will put 50% down unless the wife finds that hand woven rug from Pakistan that she has been looking for---I never realized that a 10'X14' rug could cost so much! Anyway--------I saved almost 3K by going with Rick Daniel (all the dealers here mark every vette up)---BTW--one of the first questions he asked was "What county do you live in?" I am assuming that way I pay proper taxes since that is where the car will be registered. Because the next day he faxed me my bill with all appropriate taxes, reflecting my local tax rate.

Rick---am I correct on this?

Jeff Nation
Frisco, TX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Q for you guys thinking your getting a great deal out-of-statet

Rick Daniels wrote:

If 41.5 is the going retail market for the 01 Z06 and that is what the dealer gave you for it, how does the dealer make a profit when he sells the car? Guys believe me you can make #s look any way you want on paper for a trade in. It is the diff. between the two cars that matters, and that is all that matters. The dealer is not going to do a deal that he can`t make a profit on both the new car and the trade. Why would he that is how he stays in business.
:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Well Rick, I didn't want to say it but it was YOU who offered me 39K for my car and wanted MSRP-$500 for an EB 2002. You are right it is the difference between the numbers that matter and yours was bigger.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The other thing I am almost but not quite sure about; If you sell your car yourself there is no way to apply this against taxes unless you do an "in and out" with the dealer, correct? So you must make up the tax difference by the amount more you could sell youself vs. trade in + the hassle of selling it yourself.

bob

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I do not expect to sell every one on this Forum who is looking for a Z06. Most I do but not all, I try my best and that is all I can do. I will say when their is a trade involved it makes it much harder. I do thank you for the oportunity to try and help.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick Daniel said:
I do not expect to sell every one on this Forum who is looking for a Z06. Most I do but not all, I try my best and that is all I can do. I will say when their is a trade involved it makes it much harder. I do thank you for the oportunity to try and help.:D
No biggie, i am just asking a question that i still have not heard answered:

Don't you have to pay taxes on the full price of the car if you don't trade with an out of state dealer? Meaning you lose the tax advantage of a trade in (if you have one) and this is substantial $$$s

Bob

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Personally---I have never used my car as a trade-in. I have always been able to sell it outright for cash by advertising myself. Each time I have asked a dealer to appraise my car they shot me a number that was 2 to 5K less what I could get by selling myself.

I think it is a matter of convenience for many. I will not use a trade-in with a dealer ----Rick is correct---dealers are dealers to be profitable--no business will stay that way in the red.

I expect to pay a premium for everything I purchase. Hell--can you negotiate the price of a gallon of milk or a gallon of gas??

I think that if you are in the market for a Ford Excursion that costs $42,000. then you have no right to bitch about how much it costs to fill that 44 gallon tank @ $1.59/gallon.

If you can't afford it--don't sign the GMAC papers------I hate whiners!

·
Registered
282 Posts
RFC said:

Don't you have to pay taxes on the full price of the car if you don't trade with an out of state dealer? Meaning you lose the tax advantage of a trade in (if you have one) and this is substantial $$$s

Bob
Yes you lose the tax credit of the trade in, which is 2% here in Nevada. However, that can often be more than made up for by selling the car yourself. My experience is that most dealers are not even willing to pay blue book trade-in but you're almost guaranteed to get at least that much for your car if you sell it to an individual or the rare dealership that will buy your car for what the blue book says and in that case you can screw the tax credit. Of course the best scenario is finding a dealership that will give you a proper trade-in value and also sell you the car you want for a good price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jnation said:
Personally---I have never used my car as a trade-in. I have always been able to sell it outright for cash by advertising myself. Each time I have asked a dealer to appraise my car they shot me a number that was 2 to 5K less what I could get by selling myself.

I think it is a matter of convenience for many. I will not use a trade-in with a dealer ----Rick is correct---dealers are dealers to be profitable--no business will stay that way in the red.

I expect to pay a premium for everything I purchase. Hell--can you negotiate the price of a gallon of milk or a gallon of gas??

I think that if you are in the market for a Ford Excursion that costs $42,000. then you have no right to bitch about how much it costs to fill that 44 gallon tank @ $1.59/gallon.

If you can't afford it--don't sign the GMAC papers------I hate whiners!
Huh? I am trying to understand your point.

If you read my post I paid MSRP which is about $1000 more than I could get it out of state. I got 41.5 (I paid 46.5K)in trade on my 2001. If you look at eBay or some of the discounted new prices on 2001s thats probably more than fair. Plus I got the tax credit which in Texas is substantial.

AND remember there is at least many thousands of profit in a new vette (I hear 5-7k) so my dealer is doing just fine.

You said you saved 3K because all the Dallas dealers want over sticker. Look where I live. I got mine from Friendly Chevrolet just a quick 30 minutes down the tollway from Frisco. Classic Chevy in Grapevine also sells them at sticker.

Bob

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
RFC said:

Bob
Yes you do. you are only charged the tax on the diff. But you then have to consider the diff. between what you can sell your car for and what the trade in will be. In most cases the diff on tax will be made up by selling your car in this soft Vette market.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts