Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
21,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about going with the 90mm FAST intake but I have read some things on other forums that say they are junk.

Anyone here have a FAST and if so how would you rate the quality. Also, what throttle body are you using?

Thanks! :guiness:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
jub jub, I have the Fast 90 mm and the LG (Nick Williams) 90 mm TB.
I port matched the AFR heads intake runners to the manifold which was easy.
1-The only funky issues I had was that the fit near the firewall is tight.
2-The manifold pressure switch just sits in the manifold instead of clipping in like the OEM manifold. I siliconed mine in (no problems)
3- The crankcase vent hose coming out of the right valve cover has no
place to go on to the new TB so I just ran it to the Cold air intake filter like the other hose set up. No one could answer that question at FAST about that issue.
Other than that I have NO PROBLEMS!! I LIKES IT!

·
21,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22655TD said:
jub jub, I have the Fast 90 mm and the LG (Nick Williams) 90 mm TB.
I port matched the AFR heads intake runners to the manifold which was easy.
1-The only funky issues I had was that the fit near the firewall is tight.
2-The manifold pressure switch just sits in the manifold instead of clipping in like the OEM manifold. I siliconed mine in (no problems)
3- The crankcase vent hose coming out of the right valve cover has no
place to go on to the new TB so I just ran it to the Cold air intake filter like the other hose set up. No one could answer that question at FAST about that issue.
Other than that I have NO PROBLEMS!! I LIKES IT!
Sounds good! I was reading about warping and maybe sucking air. That was my primary concern. I don't know yet, might have to look at one up close and personal at the Fest before I decide!

I hear the NW throttle bodies are good though and forget about the FAST TB unless you like leaks and binding shafts! :eek:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It is my understanding that FAST never came out with a TB for our cars! I have some cold start and idle issues with the fast. Its a little annoying.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When the intake comes the intake is quite warped, but after torquing it down it is fine.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
robz said:
It is my understanding that FAST never came out with a TB for our cars! I have some cold start and idle issues with the fast. Its a little annoying.
Yep, cold start "surging" and hot start "dying"...what we go thru to get a few extra horsepower. ;)

Don

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I spoke to MTI a while ago and they mentioned not to use the FAST/TPIS TB because there were some issue with idle and sticking. They mentioned to use the LS2 90mm TB instead. No issues and works much better, also cheaper... :jammin:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I HAD the cold start surging never the hot start dying. I got 99% of the
surging out after tuning. Most of the surging issues came from cam surging (G5X-3) I believe most surging and dying can be tuned out if YOU spend time or get someone else to spend time tuning it out. LOTS of cold start scans and changes and it CAN be done.

ss2zO6. How does that G5X4 cam sound with 111 lsa? MAN I bet that sounds mean. I got the x3 with 112 and it hits good. How much HP??
I have the same mods as you other than the cam.

·
21,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DavidGP said:
I spoke to MTI a while ago and they mentioned not to use the FAST/TPIS TB because there were some issue with idle and sticking. They mentioned to use the LS2 90mm TB instead. No issues and works much better, also cheaper... :jammin:
Hmmm, maybe an LS2 intake and throttle body would be the ticket. I wonder if there would be any of the tunning issues that the FAST has? :screwy:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
22655TD said:
I HAD the cold start surging never the hot start dying. I got 99% of the
surging out after tuning. Most of the surging issues came from cam surging (G5X-3) I believe most surging and dying can be tuned out if YOU spend time or get someone else to spend time tuning it out. LOTS of cold start scans and changes and it CAN be done.

ss2zO6. How does that G5X4 cam sound with 111 lsa? MAN I bet that sounds mean. I got the x3 with 112 and it hits good. How much HP??
I have the same mods as you other than the cam.
My car is going in for a few changes tomorrow. I will ask my tuner to see if he can tune out the "cold start" issues. As for the hot start dying, you'll not see this unless you are drag racing the car in hot weather. Then you'll see that the "candle" doesn't want to stay lit. Robz has seen this same thing with his car on hot days, so its not just my car.

I'm also interested in knowing about the G5X4. It sounds like a whole lot of fun. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hmmm, maybe an LS2 intake and throttle body would be the ticket. I wonder if there would be any of the tunning issues that the FAST has?
DO NOT use the LS2 intake manifold, I have heard its not as good as the LS6's. The Fast 90mm intake manifold with the LS2 90mm TB is the ticket.

·
Registered
373 Posts
DavidGP said:
DO NOT use the LS2 intake manifold, I have heard its not as good as the LS6's. The Fast 90mm intake manifold with the LS2 90mm TB is the ticket.
I've heard the same thing. LG is one of the people saying this and I believe it has been tested and proven by quite a few.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I actually don't have any cold start issues with the car. It starts like stock. The car sounds bad with the G5X4! It is deffinately larger than the x3. I haven't tuned it yet because one of the motors on my cutout broke(driving with open exhaust!) and I haven't gotten it back yet. I should be able to tune it this weekend. The driveability is very similar; just a little more surge but not bad. I hope to make good numbers. We will see. It feels stronger even with the old tune.
-matt

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
ss2z06 said:
I actually don't have any cold start issues with the car. It starts like stock.
My car starts when its cold...and its way colder in winter where I live than where you do...trust me. :yeadog: The problem is the amount of surging while the engine /oil temps are still down. Once the engine gets up to 175 and the oil is at 150, the surging normalizes. But until then, its a bear. Perhaps this can be "tuned out," but since its not 8 degrees out anymore in the morning, it will be impossible (at least until next winter :D ) to replicate those conditions to tune this surging out.

Don

·
21,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don Benson said:
My car starts when its cold...and its way colder in winter where I live than where you do...trust me. :yeadog: The problem is the amount of surging while the engine /oil temps are still down. Once the engine gets up to 175 and the oil is at 150, the surging normalizes. But until then, its a bear. Perhaps this can be "tuned out," but since its not 8 degrees out anymore in the morning, it will be impossible (at least until next winter :D ) to replicate those conditions to tune this surging out.

Don
I'm pretty happy with my current set-up. With stock intake and injectors I have been able to tune out all surging/bucking etc. The car runs like stock on the interstate and except for the chop at idle, you would never know it had a cam, except of course when you get on it! I know my cam doesn't make the numbers like an X3, but it is easy to drive around town so I don't mind. :guiness:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the FAST 90 as well and my intake was dropped shipped from Comp Cams - no warping. When I ordered it from a vendor on Ls1tech they didn't mention that "port seals" were seperate, so don't forget to pick them up.

My car does have surging when cold, hot start problems, and some tuning issues that need to be worked out - not a direct result from the intake but it contributes.

PORTING: The intake is a three piece design with lots of humps, ridges, and areas that need to be ported, grinded, and smoothed for maximum potential (I have heard anywhere from 4-8HP)...I spent about 10 hours with the dremel and subsequent wet sanding to get it right(Only wish I had pictures - you can also port match the runners to meet the ports on the AFR heads).

Overall, it's a great mod for an easy 10-20RWHP and really carries the HP curve above 5K....I picked the intake up in January for $720.

Bill

·
21,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THRLSKR said:
I have the FAST 90 as well and my intake was dropped shipped from Comp Cams - no warping. When I ordered it from a vendor on Ls1tech they didn't mention that "port seals" were seperate, so don't forget to pick them up.

My car does have surging when cold, hot start problems, and some tuning issues that need to be worked out - not a direct result from the intake but it contributes.

PORTING: The intake is a three piece design with lots of humps, ridges, and areas that need to be ported, grinded, and smoothed for maximum potential (I have heard anywhere from 4-8HP)...I spent about 10 hours with the dremel and subsequent wet sanding to get it right(Only wish I had pictures - you can also port match the runners to meet the ports on the AFR heads).

Overall, it's a great mod for an easy 10-20RWHP and really carries the HP curve above 5K....I picked the intake up in January for $720.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. What kind of TB are you using?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
We're using a FAST 90. The sealing issue most of the times is folks taking them apart. The seal in the intake is not meant to be re-used. So buy a new one if you're going to port it....

I stole the port seals off the old intake.

You have to silicone the MAP sensor in the back (thats a poor part of the design IMHO.

We've tested a TPIS, NW early design, and a GM 90. The GM 90 had better idle characteristics but lost about 1.5HP on a 500 HP motor. The early NW TB we had (the second one Nick ever built) was ok except for he low speed idle, which I had pretty much fixed with speed density tuning. Nick from my understanding is now making his very similar to the GM TB, so those issues are resolved.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jub -

Using the NW-90 TB - This is the latest version but a little pricey when compared to the LS2 TB (I have zero complaints with it).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I´m using the FAST 90 with the NW 90 TB. I have no idle problems no surging and no problems with cold start or faltering when hot. It works very well with the rest of the mods and the whole setup feels very balanced. The car goes really sweet and you have to watch the rear on the first 5 when going WOT.

Tomas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts