Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read your post about the long tubes and it sounds like you got killer results. I want to do the same to my '02 Z, are the headers year specific, meaning do they make them for '02's or one size fits all Z's?? Also, you mentioned you might have lost some low end torque, is it still there after you have broke them in? And would it make much difference on a '02? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you Rick? Loving the car, dont tell anybody about my possible mods /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Take care

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

On 2001-08-22 15:58, streetlegal spewed forth this drivel:
I read your post about the long tubes and it sounds like you got killer results. I want to do the same to my '02 Z, are the headers year specific, meaning do they make them for '02's or one size fits all Z's?? Also, you mentioned you might have lost some low end torque, is it still there after you have broke them in? And would it make much difference on a '02? Thanks!
Hey Luke -- Hmm.. I may have to defer to Carl or someone here (who has an '02 and can tell you more about the long tubes on an '02). But, as far as I know, the headers are AT LEAST '01 psecific, since there were ones available for '97-'00 Vettes that would NOT work with my car. Since our blocks haven't changed, and since even these '01 headers aren't port-matched, I'd believe that these headers would work on an '02. If you were to call MTI, I'm sure they could answer this question with certainty.

As far as the low-end torque loss situation, I'm still not sure that there is a loss. I have to spend some more time in the car and see if I really think there's a loss or not. Either way, I'd make sure that you've added an aftermarket intake to the car along with the headers, since you'd like to get more air into the car if you're letter the exhaust out faster. I'd think that some of the improvement in HP with the headers comes from the fact that the pre-cats get removed with the headers installation -- and you don't have pre-cats on the '02's -- but the exhaust manifolds on BOTH of our cars are pretty junky, so I don't think MUCH of the improvement is from the pre-cats elimination. So, I think your car would really benefit from the long tubes, too.

Hope this helps a little, but I'm sorry that I don't know more about the '02 application.

-Kirk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts