Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice day for a change here on Long Island, N.Y. took my Z out of the garage for a ride, while I was checking my tire pressure my car as at a idle for a few minutes. Of course some guy came over and hit me with a 100 questions :mah: when I started driving again it was running at a little over 200 then went back down some.When you change the thermostat to a 160 or 180 does the check engine light keep coming on? Any help or suggestions on this topic would be great! Thankx

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't think changing the thermostat will make any difference in the situation you describe. When it's that hot, the themostat is alredy wide open. There ain't no more cooling to be had. Mine does the same. No harm in those temps when idling.

Rich

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Sounds well within normal for a stock motor. I tend to watch the oil temps and pressure more closely than coolant since that's the lifeblood of your motor. Redline's Water Wetter works well and I add to evey car I've owned... Synthetic oils will help it run a few degrees cooler on average as well.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Unless the fans are reprogrammed to come on earlier. The car will just take longer to reach its old operating temperature. Except it will run cooler out on the open road though. :z:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
With the stock fan settings you may see up to 225 or so when idling or going slow in hot weather. The stock stat is 192-195. As BiPlane said a lower temp stat by its self will not help. You need to turn the fans on at a lower temp than the factory setting to take advantage of a lower temp stat. You can do this with a fan controller or with an edit.

I have a 180 stat with a fan controller. Most of the time it runs 183-190. But idling or going slow in hot weather it will still get up to 200 or so. Much better than 225 IMHO ;)

If you want to keep it cooler get an fan controller like a Vinci or if you plan to have an edit for other reasons have the fan on temps set lower with an edit. Then if you want it cooler much of the time put in a 180 stat. Not everyone will agree but I think a 160 is too cool for a street car. And unless you are in cool weather at speed you will probably not stay near 160 anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I have a 160 t-stat in my H/C car, and it will usually run at about 175 on a hot day out on the open road. My tuner has set my fans to come on at about 185 and the car will not get above that temp even in stop and go traffic. I believe the LS6 will live longer at cooler temps. :yeadog:

Jim

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
I have a 160 t-stat in my H/C car, and it will usually run at about 175 on a hot day out on the open road. My tuner has set my fans to come on at about 185 and the car will not get above that temp even in stop and go traffic. I believe the LS6 will live longer at cooler temps. :yeadog:

Jim
Same set up with my h/c car. The fans come on at 185. Also have an elec. w/p that helps keep temps down when caught in heavy traffic on these hot/humid days in Houston.

As far as your check engine light question, mine does not come on at all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 160 thermostat and the temp runs about 167-169 running on the open road or just moving along. At idle it does go up to anywhere from 180-190. I believe my fans are set to come on at 185 or 190...

The car does run cooler and it's reflected in the oil temp also, which is down 15-25 degrees from normal. My oil runs 175-185 under normal conditions and when i run her hard it's hard to get above 200-205..

·
Registered
830 Posts
jz06man said:
I have a 160 thermostat and the temp runs about 167-169 running on the open road or just moving along. At idle it does go up to anywhere from 180-190. I believe my fans are set to come on at 185 or 190...

The car does run cooler and it's reflected in the oil temp also, which is down 15-25 degrees from normal. My oil runs 175-185 under normal conditions and when i run her hard it's hard to get above 200-205..

DITTO

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Jim Lembo said:

Jim
Jim-- Are your fans coming on high or low at 185? My controller turns them on low and there is no way the car will stay near 185 when going slow or idling even when it is not hot outside.

jz06man-- I have read that you should not run a car hard with oil temps below 180. I believe good oil coolers have a thermostat so they will maintain a minimum temp for that reason but I don't know what temp they have as a minimum. Maybe someone here knows.

Also I believe you need the oil to get up to 200 or so to boil off the moisture and other contaminates. Since synthetic oil will protect well at over 300 I would not think that oil temps below 200 would be good for the engine.

Some will say don't worry about coolant temps of 225-230. I have a hard time accepting that. But I am old school where you tried to stay at 180 coolant and if it got to 190 you were not happy & at 200 you shut it off. I really shake my head when I see the red zone on most temp gages at 250 or so on newer cars. :eek: I have had to tell myself not to be concerned with 200 coolan temps. So at least I think I am happy with the temps my car runs. :z: :)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
terry schulze said:
I have a 180 stat with a fan controller. Most of the time it runs 183-190. But idling or going slow in hot weather it will still get up to 200 or so. Much better than 225 IMHO ;)
I have the same setup with the fans programed to come on 15 degrees cooler than stock and it works great.

Jim Lembo said:
Jim
At lower temps, you clearly can make more HP. However, you run the risk of building up more deposits within the engine and therefore if anything you may be reducing the engine lifespan. However, this effect, if anything is minor. I have not heard of anyone having an issue.

Good Luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
terry schulze said:
Jim-- Are your fans coming on high or low at 185? My controller turns them on low and there is no way the car will stay near 185 when going slow or idling even when it is not hot outside.

jz06man-- I have read that you should not run a car hard with oil temps below 180. I believe good oil coolers have a thermostat so they will maintain a minimum temp for that reason but I don't know what temp they have as a minimum. Maybe someone here knows.

Also I believe you need the oil to get up to 200 or so to boil off the moisture and other contaminates. Since synthetic oil will protect well at over 300 I would not think that oil temps below 200 would be good for the engine.

Some will say don't worry about coolant temps of 225-230. I have a hard time accepting that. But I am old school where you tried to stay at 180 coolant and if it got to 190 you were not happy & at 200 you shut it off. I really shake my head when I see the red zone on most temp gages at 250 or so on newer cars. :eek: I have had to tell myself not to be concerned with 200 coolan temps. So at least I think I am happy with the temps my car runs. :z: :)

Terry,
I believe that my fans are set low at 180* and high at 195*, but I need to ask FRC Tom about that to verify it for sure as he and Greg from Antivenom are the people that tuned my Z. As far as oil temps go, I don't start beating on the car till the oil temp is around 180, and it usually gets to 205-210 after some "spirited driving". I too am old school and
used to get a little uncomfortable when I saw the coolant getting up around 230*. My original bolt-on only tune that Greg did for me at last years fest cured that problem even before I put in the 160* stat, and even with the stock t-stat
after 4 consecutive runs at Beech Bend, the coolant never got above 200* with ambient air temps in the low 90's.
I am very pleased with the way the car cools since the H/C
install I did this winter, which is when I put in the 160* stat.
Great thread everyone,,,,keep the responses coming!
:thumb: Jim

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Jim-- Thanks for the reply. If your high speed fans don't come on until 195 based on my car I am suprised you can stay at or near 185 in stop & go traffic. I have read where others will do this but mine will not. :screwy:

I was not sure if the fans were on or not so I put a small panel light in the car that comes on when the fans are on. With fans running (on low) it will seldom get over 200 but it will not stay near 185 when going slow or stopped. My 180 stat will allow the car to stay 183-185 when driving at speed.

I guess I have convinced myself to be ok with 190-200 since that helps keep the oil temps up somewhat. My oil temps will also run in the 205-210 range or a little higher during spirited driving or stop & go in hot weather.

I am suprised that GM allows such a wide operating temp range (195 min. by the stat & 225 when the factory setting turns the fans on). I would think they would want to hold the temp close to an optimum temp for emissions & fuel economy. :-? :z: :usa:

·
Registered
407 Posts
oil does burn off water or moisture in the oil at these temps- If your or the temp is lower, then you just need more time at that temp to burn off the moisture.

It's very true, lower water temps produce more power and or keep you out of the denotation zone, which is very important to those of us running higher C.R. on pump gas.

·
Registered
234 Posts
it's common knowledge in the drag racing circles that HEAT is horsepower. therefore being that the LS6 is aluminum, you wouldn't want to run under 180-190F to take advantage of all the power the motor can make.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
NEED4Z said:
it's common knowledge in the drag racing circles that HEAT is horsepower. therefore being that the LS6 is aluminum, you wouldn't want to run under 180-190F to take advantage of all the power the motor can make.

IMO that pretty much an Old Wifes Tale.

A Trusted name in the performance world, Lingenfelter said that there motors consistently produced the most Horsepower at 160 to 170 degrees. :cheers:

·
Registered
878 Posts
if your cheap like me and don't want to mod the t-stat-while in traffic and running slow-flip on the A/C, that will turn on other fan and car will cool to 195-200 while sitting in traffic,works for me-thats not old school ,its using the technology thats built into the car-wants your out running down the road it cools quicker with the A/C on-then shut A/C off and have some 'spirited fun" :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
oh and the debate above sounds like
more hp vs less pollution..run cool for power,run hot for clean exhaust..to have both for street, the factory has it pretty good to what should be-if its just racin' then its better cool...
if ya live in kaliforneia like me-pick your battles... :z: :coo:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There's no one answer, and some might consider Lingenfelter a unique case. For some engines, particularly large displacement ones, the frictional losses increase at lower temps and that can cost power. I suspect that was what NEED4Z was getting at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts