Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are tons of threads about shifters, but none specifically I could find about how stiff they are.

When I had my stang a few years ago, I had a Pro 5.0 on there that was stiffer than stock, but in a good, precise way. Plus, mustangs with shifters were a dime a dozen so I had plenty of "feeling" tests before I made my choice.

This hasn't been the case with the vette at all. I have yet to run into a vette with a shifter (I rarely run into vettes, period), but I do have a friend that drove a friend's Z06 a few months ago with a shifter in it and he said the shifter was incredibly stiff, to the extent that it was cumbersome. And this same friend also had a stang with an aftermarket, stiffer shifter.

So my question to you all is, which aftermarket shifter do you have, and what level of effort does it take to shift these things?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The Hurst is very stiff., but it has springs that can be adjusted (removed) to make it less stiff. It will never be as easy as the stock shifter though. :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Hurst as well and it has a higher effort, but the shorter throw is well worth it. As someone else mentioned, you can change the springs that come with the shifter if you want the side to side effort to be lower.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I disliked (shift effort) the Hurst so much that I sold it and cut down the stock shifter for even shorter throws than the Hurst. Also, many (including me) complained of rattles and vibrations with aftermarket shifters. Those two "problems" are non-existant with a shortened stock shifter.

Charlie

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found the Hurst to be very stiff at first out of the box. So much so that I considered changing springs during the first drive with it. After driving with it for a while (maybe 200 miles) I grew to love it's feel and would not change a thing.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The B&M Ripper is really stiff, not adjustable, and is very precise. Never miss a shift at the drags with this shifter. Reverse is difficult to get, but that doesn't bother me. I love the Ripper. :yeadog:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the Hurst shifter in my Z and the shifter effort initially was very stiff and required effort to move even with the internal springs set to the "softest" setting. However, after several hundred miles the operation now is not nearly as stiff. In general I would compare it to the Steeda Tri-Ax in a Mustang. Just like when you first install the Tri-Ax the operation is stiff but over time it becomes easier. Overall it is worth it though I caution that you "may" experience increased transmission noise.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a Hurst too, and the shift effort is much stiffer than stock, even with the weakest springs in place. However, its a much more positive feel, so its an improvement. Put it this way: I would miss the 2nd to 3rd shift often with the stock shifter. Now, I hardly ever miss a shift with the Hurst.

I did get a rattle from the Hurst shifter when accelerating hard, but I fixed that by putting a prop shaft zinc for a boat on the shifter shaft, which eliminated the rattle. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I also had the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '01 Cobra. My BPP is similar in feel with the exception of a slightly more resistance when passing the neutral gate. I recently went back to the stiffer SIDE springs, for more precision. Note, these springs have NO effect on resistance between gears, just side to side movement, such as finding reverse, or first gear, from neutral. OTOH, the stiffer springs really help you on the 2-3, and 4-5 shift, to find the next gear reliably. I wouldn't go back to stock for all the muffins at Costco. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
NYCHASM said:
I disliked (shift effort) the Hurst so much that I sold it and cut down the stock shifter for even shorter throws than the Hurst. Also, many (including me) complained of rattles and vibrations with aftermarket shifters.
Same here. :thumb:

I just bought a C6 shifter for installation this spring.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I had a few of the aftermarket shifters before finally spending the cash for the Mallett. The Mallett uses the stock shifter base with a shorter stick and no insulation, and the result is a precise, easy-(easier?)-as-stock to shift shifter that makes shifting fun. It sounds like one of these would be what you want.

Remember that the Corvette will never shift like the Mustang due to the rear-mounted tranny. I, too, had a Mustang with a Hurst in it, and I loved it. The Mallett shifter provides the closest feel to that. The Hursts and B&M's, etc., for the Vette are waaaaaay stiffer than those for the Mustang. You will not get the same feel, unfortunately.

-Kirk

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hi Kirk, I sent you a PM on my new Mallet update! :idea:
Good to see you on the forum again......must have been in seclusion on a desert island for the winter. :cheers:

Bob

·
21,378 Posts
Hurst here. You can remove the springs and with a little time it will be slicker than ol slick willie. And that's the truth. :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Mallet here as well. Ditto KMeloney, his comments are right on.

Hey kirk how you been, haven't heard from you in a while.

Zrod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts