Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been ...25 years since I've road raced. And although I had a Forumula Ford for a year, most of my racing was in 75-85hp cars with 165-13 tires. (my current race car has 450hp and 13" tires, but oval only). So, taking a Z06 to those tracks, what sort of speeds do you hit.

For example, at Lime Rock, the track I ran the most (Bridgehampton is gone and Thompson doesn't do road racing any more) the Opel entered the main straight right around 90, hit the high 90s at the end, about 60 at the second apex in big bend, entered the zig-zag straight in the mid-60s hitting just under 90 at the uphill and the high 80s entering west bend (before the bridge).

What is it with 7x the hp, 1000# more weight, and tires that are literally twice as wide?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Summit Point is the only one I have experienc one, but that will change later this year as I am visiting The Glen and Pocono.

SP? Nice long staight, close to 145 MPH before a hard almost-180 right hander. Then back up a slight hill, a left hander at about 3/4 throttle in 4th, then a offcamber right which I can take pretty fast, again in 4th.

After than is a tight left hander leading into the esses. The left-hander is down hill, making it a great passing zone.

The esses are tricky, but not too so, as I seem to have learned them my first weekend.

Coming out of the esses in 3rd gear, you rocket over the hill and under the bridge (taken just right of center it seams) then into the last turn. I did the last turn (11?) in fourth last year, but I plan on trying it by downshifting into 3rd when I race there the first weekend of April

I really, really like the track. My first qualifying session there was also my first session in a National race. That was a momentus session for me as I had the pole, if only until the next session. I ultimatelty qualified in 5th, ran as high as 3rd, spun and finished 9th.

Can't wait to get back there in four weeks.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Since you own a stock car I thought this data would be interesting:

NASCAR at the Glen: short course, 2.45 miles
Fastest Qualifying Lap:
Winston Cup/Nextel = Ricky Rudd @ 181.068 MPH
Busch = Scott Pruett @ 121.052 MPH
Rudd's lap time is blistering.

Not quite comparing Apples to Apples
The 2004 Sprints at the Glen used the long course, 3.45 miles
T1 Fastest Race Lap = Bill Ziegler 2:08.204 @ 54.712 MPH

If I can recall correctly the 70's Can Am and F1 cars lapped the long course at roughly the same average speed as todays NASCAR's lap the short course

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've run the long course at the Glen (however there was a nasty F1 chicane in that first left right combo). Run Pocono. They they only used one run course then that entered the tri-oval in one turn, run one turn wide open, and exited into the 3/4 mile banked oval. Run Summit Point. At the time their was a huge drop off coming on to the main straight. If you dropped a wheel off.

One option, an option I don't think I want to do, is get a new perimeter chassis (about $15k if optioned heavily, $12-13k otherwise) and running it on road course and ovals. Of course, since it is only a race car it couldn't run most (all?) DE events.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Lime Rock is right near 150 at end of striaght. Pocono long course is over 150 coming to turn 1 and the tunnel turn is close to 165. That is on the long course counter clockwise and going into the infield. Banking at turn 1 can be completed at 125 MPH for the lowest speed on the banking. :eek2: I hope to go below 1:30 this year at Pocono.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Lime Rock is right near 150 at end of striaght
That's surprising (not doubting your word).I always understood that Lime Rock was a relatively short track (T1 record under 1 minute) with few places to air the Corvette out. 150 MPH is a big number!

I will get to sample that track at the June National this year. I am looking forward to it, for sure.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We had a quite heated disscusion on the other forum last year. It was proved out to be true by a few of us. T-1 will have less power but still over 140 I would guess. I was just over a minute last year on the first session last year with track temp of 36'. It was the first session I ran there in two years. There was a small open wheel Formula ???? that left me like I was in my tow vehicle :eek2:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, 140 is about right, if you can get the downhill righthander correct. LRP is alot harder to get correct than you would think. It is worth it, though, to get it right, because LRP is a blast!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Down hill off camber right hander took me longer to feel comfortable at than any other track section I have run. Track is a blast. I have seen many go off there into the guard rail. One day it just fell into place, since then it is a blast. I would keep up with guys around the whole track and get smoked in that spot which made me :flaming: ? Not really it made me envious of them. As memory severs me I just lift a tad going under the bridge when you drop then hit it hard again. You just need to know YOUR car and know it will stick. It's a rush now especially when I think back. It gives you a great run down the front straight. I wish I ran at Lime Rock more and will try this year. I'll be missing the first two PDA events this year at LRP :(

My friend had a 530 HP 427 in a C5 setup nice and will now have a 600 RWHP motor this year at LRP hope to see how fast it is if he takes advantage of the power. I will have my work cut out for me now :jawdrop: :D and then some!

PS keep the wheel straight when going on the uphill because you will get airborne. You hear the wheels break free and the rpm zoom. Have faith in the flagger because you can't see
$--t! When I first started I was giving a guy in a Cobra a point by as he was all over me. I didn't want to hold him up. I got squirrely because I was going up the hill when I did the brillant move of pointing him by :idea: the car got sideways. After the session he came over a balled me out :cry: It was a great piece of advice he gave me even though I knew what I did was about as dumb as sleeping behind the wheel. :bang:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have lots of video of Watkins and Summit if you're interested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You won't hit higher than then mid 130s to MAYBE 140mph TOPS at the front straight at Summit... We were following FULL T1 Race cars at a recent FATT on the main circuit and never hit above 140MPH. We also never got out of 4th gear on that straight...

You'll find yourself becoming bored pinning it on the front straight and waiting for the "Talent" section!

Have fun, and I strongly recommend a trip down to VIR if you want to see what "FAST" is!

Mike :zboobie:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
drivinhard said:
Still from my in-car video from watkins glen Oct 03, raining like crazy! (turn 1)

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ruffo/Z06.jpg

When I TT'd at Limerock I was around 1:04, I don't remember what the Z06's were at (a good bit faster I'm sure)
That looks like someone having a really bad day. Back when I was road racing (in the 70's) I made it a rule not to race in the rain. As soon as I broke the rule I ended up on my roof!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Racin' in the rain is where it's at. It equalizes virtually everything and the driver's skill really comes out. Good tires, being smooth and a little luck is what'll make the difference. The best drivers in the world (i.e. Schumacher, Senna...) were gods in the rain. Tracks like Watkins however is a rough place to try to learn!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Everyone,

If you guys want to see what your cars will do at LRP and Pocono (north & south courses) here is a club holding a few track days with time trials that will answer your questions on lap times and top speeds. Their first event is even featuring Corvettes.

C.A.R.T. Track Days 2005
Our Novice instructors are standing by!

Join the Connecticut Autocross and Rally team at these events:
Pocono Raceway & Lime Rock Park

May 13, 2005 (Pocono North Course)This is the start of our series to honor great cars. So what better car to start with than the Corvette. Its significance in automotive history is as great as its performance. So join us for ultimate track time, time trial and team relay or just for pure fun. And not to forget the thunder of the Corvette.

June 23, 2005 (Lime Rock Park)
August 1, 2005 (Pocono South Course)
September 16, 2005 (LRP with Corvair Club)
September 2, 2005 (Pocono North Course)

-Pocono $190.00 - $20.00 discount per Pocono event if you sign up for 2 or more track events. We have also arranged discounted hotel rooms for the Pocono events.

Lime Rock $240.00 - $20.00 discount on a Pocono event if you combine the 2. · Price Note: Please check out our package prices. All packages include a free annual membership in C.A.R.T.

Our track days consist of high speed lapping with a time trial portion. The track portion of the event consists of controlled high speed driving with clearly defined passing zones for maximum safety. There will be a time trial in the afternoon where you compete against the clock and the other competitors in your class. You will get 2 timed laps, the best one counting for trophies that are awarded on the basis of time within your class.

TEAM RELAY POCONO ONLY How will it work? Each team will be assigned a Team number (1-10) and will be assigned a starting time. Team one will start first then two etc... Up to 10 teams can participate. Five drivers make a team. Anyone participating can submit a team. See website for rules.

SEPTEMBER 16, 2005 LRP ONLY This will be a cooperative event with the Corvair (NECC) Club. We will fill half of the spots and they will fill the other half. This is a beautiful time to be in Lakeville so if you would like to run in this event you would be well advised to register early.

Visit us on the web at www.cartct.com for further information or to register.
Space is limited, so please reserve your spot as soon as possible. These events are held rain or shine. Contact JAY BODE, 32 COREY RD., NORTH HAVEN, CT 06473 or email ([email protected]) to reserve your spot.

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts