Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been doing research on this great forum we have about lowering my 02. As I jumped further into the topic I started getting different answers and opinions. I want to lower the car more than the factory will allow. So for the front, I have been told 2 options. First is to cut the stock bushings. Second is to order the hardbar kit with new bushings. Some people say that with the stock bushings cut you will get a squeak, others say no squeak. As far as the rear, some people have said go spend $15 at the local hardware store and get some grade 8 9/16" bolts and hardware (which I already did) while others have said to order the hardbar or WCC kit with the hardware and new poly bushings. Again, some said without the bushings you will squeak while others didn't. The pros I see are that by not cutting the factory stuff I will be able to return it to stock if desired. The bad part is the money! I think it is $140 for both kits. So jump in an flood me with your opinions and experience. Thanks!!! (sorry for the long post)

Mike :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Why don't you do this first. Lower the car as far as you can on the stock bolts and see how you like it. Then if you feel you want it lower go to the next step. The hardbar kit for is for those folks you have more money than ------ and there are a lot of us out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IT L GO, well I have been looking at many many Z's out there, and I just don't think the factory settings are worth it. I want to do this only once, so I want to do it right the first time. But I am sure that I want to go lower than factory. I wish I had more money than brains, and I am not even a smart guy :rofl: !!!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
TXMike said:
IT L GO, well I have been looking at many many Z's out there, and I just don't think the factory settings are worth it. I want to do this only once, so I want to do it right the first time. But I am sure that I want to go lower than factory. I wish I had more money than brains, and I am not even a smart guy :rofl: !!!
I'm a lot like you :rofl:

Go with the rear bolts that you already bought and cut the front bushings. The only squeaking that I have head of is those folks that used the hardbar bolts in the front.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
TXMike said:
Problem with that method is that after you cut, it is hard to uncut.

You can really get the car pretty low if you max out the front lowering bolts. I did this on my car shortly after I bought it and my air damn scrapped often enough that I wouldn't want to go lower myself. :cheers:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I cut 2/3rds off the front bushings & the top ring off the top rear bushings & maxed all bolts as low as they would go. No squeaks ! Front fender well is 26" from ground & rear fender well is 27" from ground. Car is 1/4th " higher in rear, 3&1/4th " just behind front wheel & 3&1/2" just in front of rear wheel . Air dam is 2&1/4th" off ground. Over 6000 miles since I did this & tires are wearing perfect. :yeadog: :coo: Hope this helps.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mike,
You are on the right track.
Put the bolts you bought on the rear.
Cut the bushings as much as possible on the front.
Drive the car for 50 miles.
If you are satisfied, have the alignment checked.
BTW: Cutting the front bushings does not mean you can't raise the front back to stock height.
Also, be sure to take before measurements of the ride height and keep the same rake front to rear..
And note the level of the gas tank when making comparisons. It makes a difference.
Good luck with it.
Dave

·
Registered
741 Posts
even if you cut the bushing up front in half or 2/3 - you can always slide that piece back on the bolt.

i wanted to buy hardbar "kit" as well - but it goes completely out of any price range - you must be a complete dumb ass to pay 140 bucks for 4 bolts, unless they are heavy and made of gold :D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mike call me tommorrow, we'll knock it out.
Wes

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys -

Thanks for all the info. I am going to go ahead and give it a try with the bolts I bought. I should be able to do it sometime next weekend so we will see how it turns out. Thanks for all the patience with a newbie!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I lowered my car the max the stock bolts allow, and only was able to get about 1/2 " lower. Now I've put on 18/19 wheel combo, it looks like a 4x4 to me. However, when searching for these "bushings" to cut 2/3 off, they appear to me to look more like washers, than bushings, as they are a total of only 1/2" thick. I'm loath to go to the trouble of cutting these things only to gain at most a 1/2 ". Is it possible I'm looking at the wrong things? It's at the bottom of the adjusting bolts, wedged between the pad, and the end of the leaf spring in the front.??? I'll put in a picture so you all can see what I mean. Thanks.

http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/5723IForge_Aero_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If it's handling you are after and you still drive on the street at all, I would not lower it any more than what Chevy suggests for tracking the car, which is about 15mm, or about 1/2 inch. Make sure you do it, or take it to someone who will do it, to get the "rake" correct. Even at that, you are going to drag that front air dam all over town and you should probably install some steel rocker panel protectors. Make sure you have a friendly driveway angle, too. :eek2:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Do you have to remove the wheels to lower on stock bolts?

IT L GO said:
Why don't you do this first. Lower the car as far as you can on the stock bolts and see how you like it. Then if you feel you want it lower go to the next step. The hardbar kit for is for those folks you have more money than ------ and there are a lot of us out there. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Only the front wheels need to come off

1 - 18 of 18 Posts