Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a guy to custom paint everything under the hood, but I have a few questions. I went to him today and he said that he usually paints metal and fiberglass and had some questions for me about the plastic under the hood. He told me to ask other people who had theirs painted and see what they said about the heat. He wanted to know if most people put a basecoat on all the plastic and did the heat under the hood cause any problems once they were painted. He said he was going to call house of colors and ask today because that was where he buys all his stuff from but I wanted to ask all you guys too because I know someone will know the answer. I felt all the plastic under the hood today after driving and it felt pretty warm to me, so I am unsure. I just want to make sure we go about this right before I spend all the money on this paintjob. Someone please give me the answers! THANKS GUYS! :usa:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I asked the same question to the guys at my local paint store and they responded that the exterior paint/clear would hold up because it was on top of the engine as opposed to being the engine itself.

The only thing I have heard is that you have to take special care of the radiator tank as that is prone to peeling since the coolant gets hot. I have a flexible primer/base called BullDog that I will be using (recommended by the paint store).

chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts