Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have chrome rims which I got from a vendor to be nameless for now. 2 questions:
1) On the inside they say GM on 1 spoke & Speedline on another one. Does this mean they're OEM?
2) On the inside there is a lot of pitting. Is there a way to get rid of that, or should I be persuing a warranty replacement?
Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
2001 Rim

2002 and later Rim

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
I have chrome rims which I got from a vendor to be nameless for now. 2 questions:
1) On the inside they say GM on 1 spoke & Speedline on another one. Does this mean they're OEM?
2) On the inside there is a lot of pitting. Is there a way to get rid of that, or should I be persuing a warranty replacement?
Thanks! Ron

answer to #1= If all four have GM on one spoke and speedline on another spoke, they are 02-04 Z06 OEM rims

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
2001 rim on the left 2002 and up on the right

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dr.Ron said:
What about the pitting anyone???
Your only option to get rid of the pitting is to attempt to polish it out. If the chrome plating is thick enough, and the pits don't extend down to the aluminum, you'll be able to polish them at least to the point where the pits aren't as noticeable.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
IT L GO said:
2001 Rim

2002 and later Rim
Are these correct? If that is the case I had 01 Wheels on my 02. :-?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
scotts, if you have the 01 rims on your car I would be happy, I like the 01s better, there are abouth a lb heavier( all four together) then the 02s, they are stronger which I dont care, what I do care is that they look slightly better, believe or not you can tell the diffrence, the 01s are a bit darker and if you pay close attention to the corner like the edges of the spokes, you'll notice they're sharper, giving the whole wheel a more defined looked versus my 03s which look more blured and less detailed,

so congrats if you have the 01s :jammin:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT L GO said:
2001 Rim

2002 and later Rim

My rims are as the 1st picture shows (the fronts anyway). I haven't removed the rears yet. I cleaned them up & they don't look anywhere near those do on the part that is circular. That is where the pitting is. I went at it w/ a metal polishing grade steel wool & some chrome cleaner & polisher. The outside seem fine. The inside is where the pitting is. I'll try to get a pic posted, but I won't be able to for at least a few days, but you can get the idea from my description...
Any further help anyone?
Ron

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BigGunZ said:
Your only option to get rid of the pitting is to attempt to polish it out. If the chrome plating is thick enough, and the pits don't extend down to the aluminum, you'll be able to polish them at least to the point where the pits aren't as noticeable.
What product(s) would you recommend I use to achieve this?
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts