Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing headers and i noticed alot of you guys install new spark plugs and wires when doing headers?
Why is it nessary to install new sparkplugs when doing headers?? Some one fill me in please. Can i get away with stock plugs wires?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Brysonvette405 said:
I am going to be installing headers and i noticed alot of you guys install new spark plugs and wires when doing headers?
Why is it necessary to install new spark plugs when doing headers?? Some one fill me in please. Can i get away with stock plugs wires?
Some folks feel while there have the plugs out anyhow, might as well change them. How many miles on your plugs?. Same thing for the plug wires. If the factory wires are good no need to change. Be careful when you remove them you don't damage them. I do recommend that you put Kool Socks on your plug wires to keep them from burning. :cheers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have 12,000 miles on the car, how do you know if a plug is bad?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Pull all the plugs. Compare. If any look different, blacker and/or oilier than the rest, it's got a problem.

I changed my plugs at 20K miles, when I installed the Vortech, per Vortech's recommendation. Without a doubt, the plugs that came out of the car were perfect. They looked like they'd been in the car less than 1K miles. There was no reason at all to replace them (but I did anyway since they were already out).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Isn't it usually a good idea to change to a colder plug when doing a blower/nitrous mod? That may be why Vortech recommended it on your car.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
NewZO6 said:
Isn't it usually a good idea to change to a colder plug when doing a blower/nitrous mod? That may be why Vortech recommended it on your car.
Yes, general rule of thumb is one heat range colder :z:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts