Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, is the only difference between the 2001 and the 2002-04 Zs in the engine?? I know they were rated at 385 hp while 02 and on was rated at 405. Is that the only difference? I was just thinking that if you were looking for a Z to do an engine build with, in terms of value, would your best bet be a 2001, since they can be found for a few thousand cheaper than a similar 02 with all the other equipment being the same?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The wheels are not better! The ones on the 02 and later are about 4 ouces lighter, which is about 1.5 pounds of weight reduction per car. However, they are cast for 02 and later as opposed to forged for 01. Forged products are significantly stronger than cast products.

Only the front brake pads were changed not anything else in the braking system.

There is 20 crank horse power difference between the 01 and later years. Most of the horse power difference (about 15hp) is from a much larger hole in the air filter box, deletion of pre-cats and little better flow in the main cat and cat back system. If you are going to do the normal bolt-on mods to your car, the 01 will be less than 5 horse power difference than the later years. If you are going to do a head & cam, then there is no difference.

You are right, you can find very good deals on 01s, from stock to modded with the full list of bolt-ons for a very good value. Some will still have extended warranty as well.

I am selling mine with all of the "right" bolt-ons for $29,500. With a good tune, the rwhp delta delta over stock is about 60 rwhp & rwt.

Good luck!

Don

Resist said:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/index.htm

2002-2004's also have better brakes, wheels and a HUD.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Engine-
1. Smaller hole in air cover
2. Screen in MAF
3. Smaller (marginally) cam
4. Slightly heavier valvues (sodium filled on '02+)
5. Pre-cats (none on '02+)

Brakes
1. Slightly less agressive pad compound (less brake dust)

Suspension
1. Different shocks
2. Plastic rear swaybar endlinks

Drivetrain
1. Weaker clutch pressure plate

Wheels
1. Forged wheels (much better than the cast '02+ wheels for track use)

If you're a modder then there's no reason not to save a few grand and start with an '01... but make sure it's been re-ring'd.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
differences between 2001 & 2002:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valve train weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing grid work
9. MAF software was re-calibrated
10. LS6 air cleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. The only other change to the Z06 suspension is the replacement of the steel, front and rear stabilizer bar links, introduced in 2000 on Z51s and used in ’01 on Z51s and Z06es, with aluminum links. This was done to reduce weight and causes no change in performance.
15. Modified steering rack to reduce the turning radius by 2 feet
16. New front brake pads
17. HUD was standard

:z:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
IT L GO said:
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
Not true...

IT L GO said:
15. Modified steering rack to reduce the turning radius by 2 feet
That's a new one to me... can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Not true...

That's what I need is a little challenge, I'll be back :rofl:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Not true...

I changed 14. The only other change to the Z06 suspension is the replacement of the steel, front and rear stabilizer bar links, introduced in 2000 on Z51s and used in ’01 on Z51s and Z06es, with aluminum links. This was done to reduce weight and causes no change in performance. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
Not true...

from our site :z:
http://www.z06vette.com/02.php

Suspension Upgrades
The Z06-specific FE4 High-Performance suspension system features a larger front stabilizer bar, a stiffer rear leaf spring and specific camber settings - all calibrated for maximum control during high-speed operation. The 2002 model year Z06 also has new rear shock valving for a more controlled ride.

The Aug 2001 issue of C&D claims the turning diameter of the 02 is 2.1 ft smaller than that of the 01

Also

modified steering rack that reduced turning radius by about two feet.

Information obtained from the "Corvette Black Book 1953-2002" by Mike Antonick

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
^ Interesting! I wonder why they changed the rack like that... learn new stuff every day.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
^ Interesting! I wonder why they changed the rack like that... learn new stuff every day.
Remember this is the Internet, just because someone typed it doesen't make it true. I have always been a little suspect of that particular change. It's my position that the 01 Z06's for whatever reason had limit stops on the steering rack and for 2002 the General decided that they were no longer needed and removed them :cheers:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
2001Z06 said:
The wheels are not better! The ones on the 02 and later are about 4 ouces lighter, which is about 1.5 pounds of weight reduction per car. However, they are cast for 02 and later as opposed to forged for 01. Forged products are significantly stronger than cast products.

I stand corrected. They are lighter, not really better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts