Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any noticable differences between repro Z06 rims and the originals? And does any know how much the original ones cost? I wanted to get the grey ones, but the only repros I see are chrome or polished.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool man, thanx for the welcome. I did a search and I just got a flood of unrelated topics. :cool:

I also heard that the 2002 Z06 rims went down in quality because they are cast now instead of forged?? And could I just go to my dealer you think and get the OEM rims?

·
Registered
223 Posts
'02 Z06 Speedlines are currently made out of unobtanium:D

GM is currently backordering them, with a requirement that you have a Z06 with a need. Can't just order a set.

Regarding quality of cast-spun wheels by Speedline. No facts, but I trust racing heritage of Speedline.

:guiness:

·
Registered
878 Posts
You're probably going to pay about $500 each for GM Z wheels if you can find them. Sometimes you can find a set of originals on ebay if someone upgraded to HRE or Fiske.

If you're looking for an extra set, you're best bet may be to call a supporting vendor and ask if they can get you a set of chromies without the chrome ($1300), then take them to your local auto body & paint them however you like. Or you can order a set of Fiske wheels for $3800 or HRE for $4200.

I'm getting my wheels done in Black Chrome, but almost had the outside front face and outer rims polished and clear coated, then painted the inside black.

Good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
I found a place selling OEM molded aftermarket rims for $1200 for all 4 in grey paint. I don't really get that. How did they get the mold, and why are they that cheap?

GM msrp for front Z06 rims is $525 or so. I found a dealer in Florida that will sell them for $327 though. My local dealer tries to cut me deals and said $420...

I also found a place that makes aftermarket rims to match, and they chrome all their rims. They said $250 each for the front rims unfinished... So I could paint them stock grey after having them widened.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Let us know who can do good looking knock-offs. I'd like to get a set of look alikes in 16". I want to try and mount some 16" wheels on the back so I can mount up a set of drag radials or ET streets on a stock looking rim.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A friend of mine sells the repro wheels in the Detroit area, and he tells me there are several sources who make the repro wheels. However, according to him, stay away from those made in China and buy those made in the US. Not because of national pride, although that is OK, but because the quality is much better. Also, he sells Original Z06 wheels, both 01 and 02 and usually has several in stock.

·
Registered
168 Posts
my 2 cents..

There is no "quality" issue when GM switched from Forged to Cast-spun. A "quality" issue would be if you went aftermarket as the specifications in the aftermarket are not as tough as OE specs.

If you want to polish OE wheels, then the forged would give a better appearance...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts