Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm starting to become a detailing freak with my car, but I'm rather new to the process and paticulars of having that perfect shining finish. I have an 02 black z and I have purchased some zaino products including the z5 which is the scratch and swirl removal polish. I purchased this because apparently me and the previous owner were a little to 'sloppy' washing the car and have put some fine scratches in the flat surfaces of the car. These scratches are not real deep, you need to look at them at the right angle to see them, but they are fairly numerous. With this in mind, how heavy of a coating of z5 do I need to use. I know the website says to use very moderately, but I'm curious what is moderate. Can any body give me a good guide line to follow as far as how much polish I should use per area on the car. For example, 2 dime size drops on the applicator pad per square foot of car surface. Or maybee, should the surface look a certain way whenever I have enough on. Maybee, there are even some other tricks that I could use to help cure this problem?
I'm a rookie at this, especially with the Zaino products, so I would really apreciate any guidance you can give me on this matter.

Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The product Z5 doesn't really work better with more used...

The reason...IMHO you don't want to use to much is it won't dry as fast....and it will be tough to come off..

If you've got a lot of light scratches...

You should wash the car with dawn dishwasher detergent as it states in the instructions...

Then clay bar the car....Using Z6 as the lubricator with the clay if you like..
Then wash the car....then

You might consider a 3 m polishing compound(very good for our cars) prior on the car....then.... to Z1 or ZFX..then Z5....Z6....Z5....Z6...Z2 ..Z6..

Sounds like a lot of work ...but its really not...

I've always found Zaino as an easy product to use...

Don't use a lot of Z5 or Z2....as it doesn't make it work any better...

I hope this helped?....

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
JBsZ06 said:

You might consider a 3 m polishing compound(very good for our cars) prior on the car....then.... to Z1 or ZFX..then Z5....Z6....Z5....Z6...Z2 ..Z6..
:jammin: :jammin: :jammin: This is what I do also.... Must be a NJ thing... :) :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Tom Fuscaldo said:
:jammin: :jammin: :jammin: This is what I do also.... Must be a NJ thing... :) :)
Sounds like the way I do it. Must be an East Coast thing. :z:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
zaino

Yes, this does help.

Is the 3m compound your talking about the common 3m scratch filler? Is this probably the best product for my light scratches problem?

Also, just so I can have a point of reference. I experimented with the z5 on the roof of my car and used about three or four dime sized drops to do half of the roof, does this sound about right? Sorry, to be picky, I'm new with this stuff and I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You might want to try 3M Swirl Mark Remover, Product #39009. It works well on light scratches and swirl marks.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
RBKiller said:
Yes, this does help.

Is the 3m compound your talking about the common 3m scratch filler? Is this probably the best product for my light scratches problem?

Also, just so I can have a point of reference. I experimented with the z5 on the roof of my car and used about three or four dime sized drops to do half of the roof, does this sound about right? Sorry, to be picky, I'm new with this stuff and I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm doing.

Thanks for the help!
I MHO the three to four drops is way to much on half the top. I put it on so you can just see it. In other words very light. I find it takes more the very first time you use Zaino or after the clay bar. Every coat after that takes just a few drops for say the hood. Put it on so you just barely see it. Every thing above that is wasted.

The other thing I like to do on my DARK Blue Coupe is hose it off with lots of water using my hand to knock off any surface dirt. Hosing it off like that doesn't let any contaminates in-bed in your wash mitt or cloth during the wash process and be dragged over the surface.

3M Perfect-it makes some very good hand or machine polishing compounds that you may want to use before you Zaino it. Just about any body shop supply store carries it. They have 3M tech data sheets that lists all of the 3M products and uses.

D.J.

Hope this is some help to you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does this approach sound good?

Hi guys

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will try the 3m 39009 product. I've developed a game plan using your suggestions so I'll run it past you to see if it sounds good or if there is something I should add. Here goes...

step one wash car with dial

step two use clay bar with z6 to lubricate

step three wash the car with regular car wash

step four use 3m product 39009

step five apply z1

step six z5, z2, z5, z2, z6 .........

For those who have used 3m, should I plan on applying more than one coat or does one usually do the trick. Also, is it neccessary to wash the car again between the 3m stage and the zaino stage.

Once again thanks for your help,
Ted

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you don't to waste your Z6 on step 2 you can use Dawn liquid detergent in a bucket of water or your sprayer. :cheers:

·
Registered
169 Posts
JBsZ06 said:

You should wash the car with dawn dishwasher detergent as it states in the instructions...

My question is, what do you wash the car with after you clay bar it???? the Dawn, regular car wash, or the Zaino Z7??? Thanks in advance...

Steve

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I wash the car with the zaino car wash product.

Dry and then do the zaino thing.

Have fun.

JB

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Bandz7 said:
JBsZ06 said:

My question is, what do you wash the car with after you clay bar it???? the Dawn, regular car wash, or the Zaino Z7??? Thanks in advance...

Steve
It doesen't make any difference IMO. I use Dawn, just to make sure I'm starting with a clean slate. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
ItLGO makes a lot of sense...

Follow his advice...Sounds good ..

Next time I'll probably follow that advice as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You guys are great, too bad it's about 85% humidity. My fun will have to wait for a couple days. Once again JBsz06 and IT L GO, thanks again, i appreciate it!!! :z:

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I had the same problem with minor scratches. I put 4 light coats of Z5 and followed it up with 2 coats of Z2 Pro. It was a lot of work, but the finish product was great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts