Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Z06, and the car is lowered about 1 and 1/2 inches all the way around. This, of course, makes clearance an issue. Though I rarely "bottom out" completely, I do often scrape that air dam - that piece of plastic that runs along the area beneath the front bumper. It's cracked now, and will surely continue to shred.

My question is this: can I remove that air dam, and, if so, will it cause me any problems?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would not recommend it. It's there to direct cool air to your radiator,etc. I scrape mine all the time, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Don't remove it, you might start overheating without it. I saw one a C5 coupe the guy trimmed it a little. I would not do that either. It's functional and it looks good.

Chas.

·
Registered
168 Posts
don't remove it, actually,you should get it replaced. They mention that air flap in the owners video, its too cool down the engine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I just replaced my left and right airdam pannels which are very, very inexpensive and just a bit more for the center piece so I say just replace them as needed! Kind of a general maintneance thing. :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great - will do. I'll have no problem replacing them - good to know it's functional and needed. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does anyone know the part # for the right piece if you are standing in front looking at the front bumper. Mine is seriously bent and I need to replace it. Also does it tell you how to replace it in the GM Shop Manuals or is it just straight forward enough?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Drivers Side
GM PART # 10419312

GMPartsDirect price $5.81

·
Registered
882 Posts
dezballs69 said:
Does anyone know the part # for the right piece if you are standing in front looking at the front bumper. Mine is seriously bent and I need to replace it. Also does it tell you how to replace it in the GM Shop Manuals or is it just straight forward enough?
The easiest part to change. Just a bunch of metric head screws -- maybe 6 or so. You can even do it without lifting but it is a bit easier. :)

The dam is even easier, like 2 bolts. :)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Leave 'em... they're engineered to scrape and flex. They direct air up into our radiators/condensor assembly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the air dam creates negative pressure behind it and holds the front end down and keeps it from getting light at high speed . That being the case, if you remove it the loss of cooling air will be the least of your problem's

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can remove it. However there is no need to. Just trim it if you've lowered the car. There's no point in removing it completely, as there are 2 'ski bars' that hang down anyway. Just trim it as far as those bars (probably 2-2.5" total) if you must. You'll still retain the cooling and aero benefits.

You will not overheat without the air dam. It is NOT for cooling. It says right in the owner's manual that it is for aerodynamics. This is NOT a Camaro (f-body air dams ARE for cooling). I have run my car with no air dam and had zero coolant temp change. I currently run a trimmed one as I previously described, since it made no sense to remove it all the way. My car's lowered too so I know what you mean. Since I trimmed it I've never scraped. I have frame protectors on the front so if I ever did get low enough to scrape it rides on the wheels.

Good luck.

Dope

1 - 12 of 12 Posts