Corvette Z06 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
IT L GO said:
... Remember from your past experience that the money return on Mods when you sell is next to nothing. :cheers:

Yea, but a nice Z06 will always sell for a premium over a C5...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'd go with the Z man and just spread the mods out on a budget. It'd be nice to buy all the mods you want at one time, but that's pretty unrealistic for most people.

:cheers:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the input guys....its a ways off still, but its fun to think about.

JMoz....how you been....I assume youve got your wings by now, where you headed?? Im about 1/3 of the way done with the Helo syllabus and hoping to get the new MH-60S out of Norfolk. Drop me a line and let me know how things are goin. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Hey brotha! I got my wings back in December, and now I'm at Barksdale AFB flying the Mighty BUFF! Hopefully I'll be assigned to one of the squadrons here and not sent up to Minot AFB in North Dakota. Brrr. Anyways, yeah man it's freakin' nice to be out of pilot training and treated like a real person again. haha Great to hear you're almost done with your helo action. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

Oh, and so I don't hijack the thread...I still think you should get a cheaper 03 Z. I bet you can find one in the low 30's if you look real hard, and have money left for some initial mods. :cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the same choice to make. Modding an FRC makes a lot of sense, but only if you know the cars history. I went with a Zo6 with 3k miles, because in the end, I wanted a car that was like new, and hadn't been abused yet. You could spend a fortune getting a well used Vette up to suff. Things like rear main seals, clutches, wheel bearings, water pumps, rearends etc. get expensive to repair, even if you do it yourself. And I wanted to get some trouble free miles under my belt, while learning to handle the beast, before I start modding. I would get the lowest mile car you can afford, and go from there.
Just my .02.
:cheers:

·
Registered
186 Posts
By buying the Z, you are financing a good number of your mods with the car note. If you buy a regular C5 and mod it, you'll have to find other means of financing those mods.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Bad said:
If I were you I'd go with B because of what you have already stated.....

It sounds like you've gotten bit by the "bug" BAD. :thumb:
I agree :cheers: Go with B

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
decisions decisions...maybe Ill get lucky and by next fall, A 2002 Electron Blue Z06 could be had for 30 or so....that would leave a solid 5 grand to get started with anyway :usa:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
FLYNAVY30 said:
decisions decisions...maybe Ill get lucky and by next fall, A 2002 Electron Blue Z06 could be had for 30 or so....that would leave a solid 5 grand to get started with anyway :usa:
Now that sounds like a plan! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It depends on what you want... if you're a modder and want to basically change everything (like me) then get a super cheap, maybe even wrecked, FRC.

Then take the left over cash and build the motor and drivetrain, re-do the suspension, upgrade the interior, and do some custome body panels w/ a paint job.

The Z06 is just a modded FRC so it's not like you can't make a car superior in every way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You have some time so there does exist the possibility you can have your cake and eat it both. There are from time to time nicely modded Z's for sale at or about your budget. Keep an eye on the fourm. Good luck.

Tony #54

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
^ Didn't think about that... just be on the lookout and you can find a fully modded Z06 allready!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Cobra4B said:
^ Didn't think about that... just be on the lookout and you can find a fully modded Z06 allready!
true, but for the most part, I enjoy getting dirty and doing my own work...but you're right, a lightly modded car with the basic bolt ons (headers, exhaust, intake, etc.) would be a good starting point for a nice heads cam package or that magnuson....although I still havent found a hood for that thing that I really like

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
^ The MCM is my favorite, but the guy that just cut a hole in his stock hood is the best ever... the polished Mag sticking through looks killer.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Option A, low milage, newer vehicle is a plus.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would avoid 99-00 cars all together. I'm sure there are exceptions but I have 3 friends who's cars I fix from time to time. A 99 FRC, an 99 vert, and an 00 coupe. Each of them have had electrical gremlins from hell. Each year beyond 00, the cars got better electrically and had fewer problems. Once again this has been my experience and I'm sure some owners of these years might disagree. One thing for sure, these problems can be a bear to troubleshoot without a tech 2 and all the modding in the world isn't gonna fix a poorly constructed electrical system. I almost dread answering the phone sometimes for fear I'll be wire chasing for someone.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts