Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys just wondering what type of education you guys have. Did you go to a 4 year college or a community college and what did you guys major in? I am wondering because I am not exactly what to do next, right now I am at a community college (And not because I am dumb, but because I don't come from a rich family and would find it rude if I were to go to an expensive school and not perform), so I am just wondering which scholling route you guys took to possibly help me in my future decision....Thanks Guys

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Not coming from a rich family myself, I had similar issues. For the first two years I went to a community college at night, worked during the day. Took two years off from school to save money to allow me to go to a state university, which I did without a break. I did underestimate what my expenses would be, so I had to work a bit during the last six months. I got my bachelor's degree in Finance. Ended up programming financial software on mainframes then micros for a bunch of years, because it seemed fun to do at the time. As far as I'm concerned, everything turned out just fine. I'm now happily retired at a reasonably young age, and doing whatever I want /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif (except buying cars because the missus just doesn't understand /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

Museum Delivery Mirrors Memory Mats
CAGS Column Lock Bypass FRC Partition
NCM Life #637
Corvette Atlanta
C5 Registry
DHC Member (Dead Husbands Club)

My Museum Delivery

Signature by Jason

·
Registered
345 Posts
One year community college, two years US Army, four years University, two years graduate school, 27 years student of life. You have gifts. Find out what they are. Do something you enjoy so you will do it well.
I can't believe I get to do my job AND they pay me to do it. Take on a servant heart. Organize your priorities by God, family and friends, then work. Remember to play as hard as you work and that nobody ever says (when on his or her deathbed) that they wished they could have spent more time at the office.

Also, when I was sitting in a bunker in Viet Nam in a place we called the NVA rocket proving grounds, I wrote, "For all of the impact you are bound to have upon the whole earth, can you imagine the absurdity of getting an ulcer doing it?" Remember, you will always learn more from your problems than the good times.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

On 2001-08-09 07:16, Felkebg spewed forth this drivel:
One year community college, two years US Army, four years University, two years graduate school, 27 years student of life. You have gifts. Find out what they are. Do something you enjoy so you will do it well.
I can't believe I get to do my job AND they pay me to do it. Take on a servant heart. Organize your priorities by God, family and friends, then work. Remember to play as hard as you work and that nobody ever says (when on his or her deathbed) that they wished they could have spent more time at the office.

Also, when I was sitting in a bunker in Viet Nam in a place we called the NVA rocket proving grounds, I wrote, "For all of the impact you are bound to have upon the whole earth, can you imagine the absurdity of getting an ulcer doing it?" Remember, you will always learn more from your problems than the good times.

Well put Felkegb /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
575 Posts
I too came from an ordinary family. My father worked for the same company for 44 years. He was an honest, hard working guy all his life. He was a great roll model for anybody. (don't see too many of them any more). Didn't really test my abilities in high school. Spent most of my time chasing skirts and sports...in that order!!! Went to a small college in New England and majored in chemistry. Almost took a job with GM. Continued my education with NSF Grants and later got a masters degree in computer science. Ended up teaching kids math and science for 33 years. It was a great run and I enjoyed it very much. Other jobs didn't interest me, where teaching gives you a sense that somehow you contributed or gave back something to the next generation coming along. While teaching, to supplement my salary, I was a bartender, a cop (gave Corvette drivers a break too), taught night classes at the local community college, and taught tennis.
Been in the stock market for several years. Can't buy Corvettes on a teacher's salary so the market has been very helpful!!!
Took an early retirement package this year.
Bob

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Middle class family, father worked 15 hours a day running a business. Went to Boston College (taking many loans along the way). Father died at the start of my sophmore year, worked nights and weekends at home to pay my way through BC, did not take a dime from my mother the last three years. Bachelor's in Computer Science.

The preceeding posts have said it very well, decide what you enjoy doing and become good at it. Having been in the working world for the last 18 years I can honestly say there is nothing worse than having to get up and go to a job you hate. 10 years ago I got into teaching in the professional world, teaching data communications for companies and I love it. It has allowed me to travel the world (don't let anyone convince you that business travel is fun because it is not) and for that I am grateful.

My best advice comes from my dad, who barely graduated high school but ran a moderately successful comapny for close to 20 years. "Use common sense in everything you do, take a moment to simply think about the situation, and then do what your common sense tells you to do, 99% of the time you will come out OK". A lot of people in today's world do not apply common sense to their daily lives, and get themselves into a whole lot of bad situations because of that. Always remeber what one of the earlier posts also said, Work hard, play hard, it is way too easy in today's workplace to let the job overtake your life, at times it will simply because it has to, but you need the release, I play ice hockey three times a week, drive my Z as often as possible and make sure that I am home for dinner every night of the week, this works to keep things balnaced.

By doing this, and being willing to work hard everyday I have been able to live a very comfortable life and can now enjoy the extreme pleasure of driving my Z into the office every good morning. It doesn' get much better than this...
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
2 years Penn State and 2 years University of Pennsylvania, owned several businesses that did very well because of great people that worked with me, now just retired and bored.

**FOR SALE** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **FOR SALE**
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Post High School - 22 years of collage part time while working full time, married, and two kids. Ended up with 2 degrees - one from Purdue and one from Indiana U. Going to school was mostly entertainment for me (and an excuse for getting out of the house).

When I went into sales about 12 years ago, I stopped going to school. My job is my entertainment now - play golf, entertain, dine, and hang out with my customers who are mostly my age and social background and I consider good friends.

I agree with most prior posts. Enjoy your work and everything else will be that much better. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys, that really helps me out. Its not often you get advice from people that were in similar situation that turned out successful. Often at a community college you hear of a lot of negative things that make you wonder what am I doing?

You know what I really wish I could do....Design corvettes, man what a great job that would be /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Hmm, I went straight to a 4 year state university, bummed around for a few years, dropped out, bummed around working shitty jobs for another two, then started making real cash in the software industry.

I've come to realize that successful people happen no matter what they're doing, or their background.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Vetteless,

I too wanted to design Corvettes for a living. Took more time than I expected, but got a Bachelor of Science from the Art Center College of Design in 1971 (then located in L.A., now in Pasadena) in the field of Industrial Design. Started in Transportation Design (cars!!!), but changed when I realized I would HAVE to work ONLY in Detroit. This was long before practically all manufacturers would set up design studios in California. Expanded into graphic design & advertising design... made great $$$ ...had my own business for over 25 years. Built home office (Z is 12 feet from desk! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) and now can do most work over the internet. Moving to Scottsdale, AZ (my 27 year old daughter has lived there for 3 years) mainly so I can ride my Harley more than 2.5 months out of the year! ..wife and I will semi-retire.

Go for what you want to do, you WILL get there.

HarleyB

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I went straight through a small private college in Texas so that I could play sports. I followed that up with the past two years at a large state school getting my masters in econmics. I spent the past year teaching intro to economics in large classes and was a student advisor my last year of undergrad, so I have been asked the same question you posed many times.
My advice echoed what you have heard above. If you are not sure what you want to do, then take a wider range of classes. That is why they have intro classes - to let you see what a given discipline is about. If/when you find one you like and enjoy, work hard at it. Career opportunities abound regardless of your studies. Please remember though that good jobs are, for the most part, easier to get with high grades. Higher grades will equate to more cash in your pocket which will equate to a Z in your driveway.
Being unsure of what you want to do is very normal. I see it daily and have reassured many students that there is nothing to worry about. Remember a job does not have to last the rest of your life. You can change what you do if you change your mind.
Enjoy your college years. They really are some of the best times of your life. Unfortunately mine are now over, but that doesn't mean I won't have great memories.
chris

·
Registered
496 Posts
This thread has a lot of great advice and is very intresting.

I started at a community college for year. Joined the Air Force where I learned to program. When I got out I went back to the community college for a year the off to Texas A&M where I majored in Business Analysis (MIS). All told, it took me 8 years to finish college. It turned out to be the best thing I ever did.

I also grew up poor in a small town and vastly underestimated my abilities, one of the perks of growing up where there are no opportunities. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Believe in yourself, stick with school, and do what you enjoy. All the rest will take care of itself.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I have read all of this thread and agree with all that has been said. As I read I ask myself, If I had taken that path or that path would thing have been different for me. It is MHO that the definition of "success" is happiness in life. Their are many people in this world who work all of their life doing something that they hate and make tons of $$$ but are not happy. Other people who work at jobs that may not pay the big bucks, but they love what they do. In most cases they are the ones who have achieved "success". /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am just out of college, so my post may lack some of the wonderful depth of others, but here we go...I worked hard in high school and earned a full scholarship to a four-year university. I worked hard there and graduated #1 in my class. I came out of school with blinders on and stayed with the company I did an internship with. After I realized that they wanted me to build my life around the company I quit. Now I am in the transportation industry managing a fleet of trucks. I feel that I will some day start a business of my own, but like you have not found my true calling yet. My advice is to take life one day at a time. Some of the most unhappy people in the world spend their time saying "If only I had this, I would be happy" and spend all of their time seeking happiness instead of enjoying the life that they already have. Life is short and precious, live it to its fullest and never take a day for granted. Also remember this, you will never have all the answers, so take everything in stride and ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was in the same situation, no money and in a job I absolutely despised! Took out a student loan and went to a Business school to receive my AA (Heald College)

Had many chances to go and complete my BA/BS but my career took off!

I've been in the IT Field for nearly 15
years since Heald and am loving every minute of it (my major was Accounting with a minor in Data Processing. Go figure!)

You've got to be happy in what you do or life will be hell. I found after two years of Accounting work... it wasn't for me but I continued and dredged on. It was by accident that I became involved in IT work.

Never looked back. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ps. If IT work interests you... there will be over 450,000 IT positions that will go UNFILLED this year alone! (down from 800,000 jobs last year!) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I grew up in a very up scale community located in the suburbs of NYC [Scarsdale]. My dad made a very good living and my parents enjoyed spending every dime. They put 3 of us through college within a 9 year period including grad school with no loans. They did not plan for their latter years financially but thats ok, we love helping out. I have a BA from the U of Virginia and a MBA from NYU. My son Christopher will be a freshman at the U of Virginia in 2 weeks and will probably attend law school their as well. Bro, there is nothing wrong with starting your college education at the community college level and stepping into a lower cost in state university. Look into student loans. All colleges/universities offer financial aid services and advice. Find a career that you can enjoy and prosper from. Best of luck and stay in school.FUBU69/LES BTW Considering the huge growth in Asia and other parts of the globe you may want to consider International business and finance. Several fellow VC's and I will be making our 2nd trip in a year to Australia , Singapore, and China.

2001 Z06 SPEEDWAY WHITE/MODIFIED RED INTERIOR-Corsa Indy's/Pro Tips, Corsa X Pipe, Vortex/Carbon Fiber Power Duct, Z06 Wet Okles Mod Red Seat Covers, Z06 Extra Wide Rolled Exhaust Plate, Red/Clear Euro Lenses, CM Factory OEM Chrome Wheels, BPP Rear Lowering Kit, FRC/Z06 Partition ,Design Specialties Chrome & Decals, STILL EVOLVING! On Order, '02 EB Z06 TPW 7/30 Order # DKMKC7 KEEPING BOTH, I HOPE!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Concur with all said above. Some very well put replies.
I came from an upper middle class family and didn't have to fund my own education. As I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself for a living, I took a year off after high school and raced formula fords, went to U.C. Berkeley for four years getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering with the well thought out plan of designing cars, took another year off to race cars some more, then after trying IBM for six months, decided the corporate route wasn't for me, so joined the Navy and have been driving submarines for 14 years. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif
The Navy has been good to me and I can't complain about the money. Enough to afford a Z06! Sort of.
I've visited every continent except Africa and Antartica and been numerous places I can't talk about (read Blind Man's Bluff).
Slowly coming up on the same decision as you. Trying to figure out what to do when I hit 20 years. Thinking of going back to college and getting an MBA.
As the guys have said, do what you want. You will spend a large portion of your life doing it, so it's important to enjoy it!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I earned a Mechanical Engineering degree, one or two classes at a time, in the evenings, over a period of 17 years. I had three kids along the way, changed jobs many times, but I got the degree. Now I am running a small business and drive and Zaino my Z06 whenever I want.

Set a goal and go for it. Don't look back, don't stop, don't let anything get in your way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts