Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here, so just wanted to say hey and ask a quick question. My dream car has always been a Corvette, and I'm at the point in my life where I can afford one. My dilemma is between the C5 Z06 and a new C6.

The C6 (as I understand it) will be around 9k more brand new, but it has the same power specs as the C5 Z06. From what I've read, the C6 is quieter inside then the C5 Z06 and has some sort of transmission control mechanism that protects (prevents?) from certain shifts. Are there any other significant differences (handling, suspension, etc?) between the C5 Z06 and the C6 that I should be aware of?

The C5 Z06 is a car I love, but I can tell some differences in the body style of the 01/02's and the 03/04's. Did they indeed change the body of the car or am I just seeing things?

Lastly, purely an opinion question - which would you rather own; a new C6 or a lightly used (~10k miles) 03 C5 Z06? Thanks for your time guys

-jon

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
From your explanation, I'd say you should buy a C5 Z06. You said it is "the car you love". That pretty much tells me what you really like the best.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have to agree with Norm C5 Z06,and theirs alot of great deals,no difference between 2001-2004 in body,2001=385hp,2002-2004=405hp,suspension upgrade in 2004.good luck

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you buy the C5 gen Z, it will perform better stock than the C6. You will be giving up the hatch/fastback style, and all the improvements to the interior. There are some real bargains right now on any C5, but resale is pretty bad right now.If it were me, and money were no object, I'd wait for the C6Z. I couldn't afford the upgrade myself, but your situation could be different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exSSer said:
If you buy the C5 gen Z, it will perform better stock than the C6. You will be giving up the hatch/fastback style, and all the improvements to the interior. There are some real bargains right now on any C5, but resale is pretty bad right now.If it were me, and money were no object, I'd wait for the C6Z. I couldn't afford the upgrade myself, but your situation could be different.
I would love to wait for the C6 Z06 but it's looking to be a bit out of my price range at 62k.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jhawk said:
Hey guys,

Lastly, purely an opinion question - which would you rather own; a new C6 or a lightly used (~10k miles) 03 C5 Z06? Thanks for your time guys

-jon
I was all for the Z06 until your last statement. I would rather have new C6 than used a Z06 any day. Even though I like the looks of the Z06 better. The C6 surely isn't ugly buy any means. Let us know what you decide. :eyes:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I haven't had much "seat-time" in a C6 - but I certainly love the performance of my '01 Z06. You will most likely have a blast in either one you select.

So, for me - I'd say pocket the $$ difference and get a C5 Z06 at a bargain price.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
since you could probably find a nice 02 or 03 with low miles for less than 35 (depending on mods etc.) and you'd be looking at close to 55 for a loaded C6 coupe (not counting discounts, rebates, taxes etc) you could have 20K to pay for gas, insurance, (maybe even a peace offering to the wife) and of course mods to the Z06. I'm personally not completely sold on the C6 look yet myself so I'm a lil wilder about my 03.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are only going to drive on the street go with the C6. I had a chance to drive one and I felt it would make a better "road car" than a Z06. If you were planning to do track days the C6 is still pretty awesome but can't keep up with a Z06. Enjoy which ever you choose!

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I had the money, I would get the C6. Of course, if you are looking at getting a C5 Z06 at around $35,000 - that is a pretty big price difference. But with the C5 Z06 - most people will look at it as the "old" vette.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
To me it depends what you're looking for, the C6 is less attractive, and less of a performer. But the interior is a bit nicer and the car is a WHOLE LOT quieter. IF performance you're looking for the Z06 by any means, if you an aggreassive, mean looking, the Z06 again, but if you want to tame it down then the C6 would be perfect

If I was to buy a car right now IT would be one of the left over Z06s, Its brand new and by what I heard and i believe are going for $4# k out the door, Im actually considering buying a left over 2004, putting all the mods from the 2003 to the 2004 and cleaning up the 2003 and selling it , I see it this way, I will need tires soon $1500, brakes $150, and much more to maintain it, plus warranty is up in October, I figure it would make up for the money I spend to get into a 2004, BUT then again theres is nothing really wrong with my vette and its been mine for almost 3 years. plus it has the 50th anniversity waterfall emblems that I LOVE :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
BTW, that thing you say that saves the Trans is called an ALGORYTHM, and its used on ALOT of automatic trans, IT takes your power shifts and kicks you back, Its like the traction control is always on, It takes a 12 second car into a 13 second car, Then whats the point of having the vette, I dont see any, there are tons of 13 second cars that cost less and look good as well,

also, that algorythm, by what I hear, doesnt work the same on any car, some dont even feel it, so If you're looking into getting the vette because of that and you get the one that doesnt work right, then you just made the wrong decision, PLUS the driver can save the trans better then the system can, Its just a way to keep control of the aggressive drivers so they dont brake transmissions has fast :p but its not to save your money, its to save the warranty repairs for themselves :pp:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would go with the C6 and a few bolt ons. You can buy a LOADED up Z51 package C6 for $51,000.00 and slap a s/c on for around 10k.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Drive them both.
To be fair to the C6 (since you declare the C6Z out of $ range), drive a C6 manual with Z51 first, then an 02 or better Z. :idea:
Your preferences will begin to gell at that point, one way or the nother... :jammin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts