Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured to be buying new tires next spring...until I unbolted my wheels to clean them up for a Vette fest this weekend. Both front tires were worn to the cords on the inside of the tire. The rest of the tread looked fairly evenly worn.

Is this typical wear on the Goodyear SC's? Ive only done a few autocrosses, mostly street and mountain driving.

Does this type of wear indicate a need to change the alignment...in other words is it preventable?

Appreciate any advice from folks with some insite on this. Thanks
Silvertp

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm in the same situation with mine. I thought about taking it up to the dealer and having them check the alignment after I finally get my new wheels and tires on. Even my dad's GTO is having the same wear on his front tires. Could be one of those wierd GM things

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got new front tires, and had an alignment. The tech said the front was within spec's but adjusted the toe inward...still within spec's based on their computer.

They said the rear was slightly out and adjusted that as well. In my mind this really didn't explain the excessive wear on the inside of the tire.

Guess I'll just keep a little closer tabs on the tire wear...especially the insides.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The negative camber on the car will eat up the inside of the tires. It is not related to the tire, but definitely the alignment and camber settings. I had my last alignment take out a bit of the neg camber since I don't autocross the car and would prefer better tire wear.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Negative camber is causing the wear. The car will handle turns much better with a little negative camber but there shouldn't be so much as to wear the tires on the inside. Now you have to decide which you want...better handling or better tire wear...it's tough to get both, especially if you autocross.

Charlie

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blevett & NYCHASM

Thanks for the information about the neg. camber. The contrast between the worn & unworn parts of the tire tread were fairly dramatic. I like to auto cross...but its kind of like Thanksgiving turkey...I only have at it once a year.

Given the price of tires I'll have'm take a little neg camber out and see how it handles.

Silvertp

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's not so much negative camber as it is negative camber AND toe out that will scrub off the inside of the front tires. 1 degree negative and zero toe will wear the inside more, but not to the point that the outside looks fine and the inside is showing cords.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not so much negative camber as it is negative camber AND toe out that will scrub off the inside of the front tires. 1 degree negative and zero toe will wear the inside more, but not to the point that the outside looks fine and the inside is showing cords.

Ustab...thanks for the additional info. Are you proposing that 1 degree neg. camber and 0 degree toe might be a good combo for wear and still good handling? I don't mind sacraficing some tread life for handling.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I like negative camber - she corners like she's on rails! :D

I wouldn't change the camber much unless you don't drive it too hard.

Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts