Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do track,(road course) activities....

Would like to get a set of wheels specifically for track tires...

Ist question is the size... I've seen some guys run various combinations of..17" all the way around, or 17" rear..18" front
or just the stock size... What is the reasoning and results..

Next is the type of wheel.....There are several different styles and price ranges.... I know the difference between cast and forged....Does it make a difference as far as performance....
Will there be problems form one or another due to the extra stress during cornering...... :z:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I suggest you look at either CCW or Kodiak race wheels. Both are reasonably priced. Both are 3 piece, forged centers with heat treated rim barrels. These are stronger and lighter than OEM wheels and can be repaired more easily and cheaply the OEM's.

You can either go with a DOT R tire or a straight R tire. You should decide what you will be doing with the car and what class you will be using it in. IE..... Just non sanctioned DE's??, SCCA Solo I Time Trials & Hillclimbs??, SCCA Solo II AutoX??, SCCA T1 road racing?? or a combination. The reason is that the different classes allow different tire wheel combinations (sizes and types).

For example in SCCA T1 you can use the stock sizes or 315/35x17 on 11x17 rears & 10x17 fronts. Most of the top drivers use the 315's but the 10 front puts the 315 at a dissadvantage. The rules are a limiting factor.

In SCCA Supoer Stock AutoX you are limited to stock wheel size but tires are unlimited. The largest that worlk well on the stock sizes are 275/40x17 and 305/30x18. But like the stock sizes in SCCA T1 this stock sixe wheel and larger tire combo still has serious understeer problems.

The next class in SCCA Solo II is ASP and tires and wheels are basically unlimited. Most top drivers rotate the stock rear 305/30x18 on 10.5x18 to the front and run 315/35x17 on 11x17 rears; all with the allowable +0.25" offset built in. This cures a lot of the understeer and increases front grip and handling while neutralizing the car. While primarily developed for SCCA Pro Solo and National Tour cars this set uyp has also been used in SCCA Solo I and is a faster set up than the T1 sizes.

For DOT tires I suggest either Hoosier A3S04's or R3S04's or Kuhmo V710's

For straight R tires go with the Goodyear G-19 Sports Car Special.

Goodyear does have an assortment of DOT tires which are not quite as sticky as the Hoosiers or Kuhmo's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts