Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a '07Z06 and wanting to change all fluids to AMSOIL products. Just on the street at this time although someday in the future may see a few track days. What do you recommend for engine oil, transmission, brake fluild and rear end? Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
As Denny said PM subdriver for more info. My two cents is based on using Amsoil in all my vettes and being pretty happy w/ the results and longevity of the fluids. Really great stuff if you read up on it. I use the ATF for the trans and the sever gear EP 75/90 in the differential. This formula has some posi fluid in it and subdriver recommended only one bottle be added to the C6Z. This happened to work perfect for me w/ no chatter. Do figure 8's after the fluid change to work the fluid into the clutches and go easy for 300 mls so the fluid can burnish into the gears. Good luck Jim

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Go to the Amsoil website and click where it says "Application Guide" in a red box. You enter your vehicle info and it tells you what is recommended by Amsoil. It's very easy to use.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the help all.

Sandboxflyer,
Just sent you two detailed PMs in answer to your questions and an offer on the AMSOIL Preferred Customer program which is well worthwhile for you.

Sharing in short my PM to you for others that may be reading this thread:
Engine Oil - Signature Series 0w30 (stock code SSOQT)
Tranny Fluid - Universal ATF (stock code ATFQT)
Diff Fluid - Severe Gear 75w90 (stock code SVGQT) with 1-1.5 bottles of Slip Lock Additive (stock code ADABA) (note that I do not use or recommend this for C5 Z06s but the C6 Z06 diff appears to work best with the additive)

As an FYI, those are the exact same fluids I use in my daily driver 06 CTS-V (less the diff additive). For the track, I'd really recommend an oil not meeting the owner's manual requirements, probably the new Dominator 10w30 (stock code RD30QT). I just ordered two cases of this to try in my 02 Z06 when I manage to find time to hit the track.

The brake fluid is another hard issue. Owner's manual requires a DOT 3 and the AMSOIL DOT 3 fluid is good (stock code BF3SN). I got some of this for my daily drivers. But, for the track, again I'd deviate from the owner's manual and go with the DOT 4 (stock code BF4SN). I'll use this in my Z06 for the track. :cheers:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the help all.
Sharing in short my PM to you for others that may be reading this thread:
Engine Oil - Signature Series 0w30 (stock code SSOQT)

The brake fluid is another hard issue. Owner's manual requires a DOT 3 and the AMSOIL DOT 3 fluid is good (stock code BF3SN). I got some of this for my daily drivers. But, for the track, again I'd deviate from the owner's manual and go with the DOT 4 (stock code BF4SN). I'll use this in my Z06 for the track. :cheers:
Hi Brad,

On a daily driver is the Signature 0W30 preferred over the 5W30 for a daily driver (I live in So Cal)

and...

I can't seem to find the capacities for the brake fluid change anywhere. I'm considering switching over to stainless braided Goodridge lines and wanted to do a fluid swap as well, but can't figure out how many bottles to buy.

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere. I did several searches and couldn't find it, and Brake Fluid capacity I didn't see in the Owner's manual either. I may just be blind.

I used Amsoil before and loved it. Never had any issues with it. Had a previous ZO # too that looks to be expired so I've got a call in to them to see if they can reactivate it.

Let me know if it would be more beneficial to go through you on this and just do a new Preferred customer signup.

Thx,

E

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
E,
Responded to your PM as well, but sharing the answer here.

I prefer the 0w30 and that's what I use in my 06 CTS-V daily driver. It is the better oil and for me, the extra few bucks per quart is worth knowing I have the best. But, neither is a bad choice and I certainly wouldn't lose too much sleep over the decision.

As for the brake fluid, I've changed the fluid in my 02 Z06 along with brake lines at least twice. Generally made it with two bottles of brake fluid. However..., I don't like to cut it close either so I normally have an extra bottle or two just in case. I ordered a case of the new AMSOIL fluids, so I definitely won't be running short anytime soon. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brad,

Thanks for all your help with AMSOIL products. I ordered about everything you suggested now I just need to get home, drain all the old and replace with the new. I probably screwed up by not disconnecting my battery prior to deployment so most likely got a dead as a door nail battery. BTW, your number was on the order.

When are you underway again? It being maybe your last I'm sure you and your family are looking forward to it about as much as a heart attack. Is there a STAR in your future? I retired with two, well not exactly the same but close. My last two years were spent as the CMC of Team SIX.

Thanks again.

Billy

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Billy,
Welcome home!

Thanks for the support and enjoy the fluid change, always a little therapeutic for me to get out in the garage and let my mind focus on something other than daily life for a few hours.

I let my battery die this summer while deployed as well, but I did disconnect mine - no help. I've never bought a battery charger for some reason but Sears has them about 50% off today for clubmembers so I think I'll pick one up and try to save this battery. I've never had good luck with the factory batteries maintaining a charge after dying once and I suspect yours is stock so I'd consider biting the bullet and putting in a better battery. Mine isn't stock anymore though so it might take and hold a charge better. We'll see.

My next, and probably last, deployment (patrol in the SSBN world) will be this winter. I'll be home in time for the spring race season here in the PNW and hope to qualify for the SCCA National Runoffs next year. I'm trying to treat this upcoming patrol just like any other without making a big deal of it. So, as usual, I'm focusing most of my effort on getting ready for the patrol and not what comes after it, like my pending move to DC next summer.
:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts