Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Question regarding aftermarket wheels... (need advice/expertise)

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  prospero63 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm considering either some HRE 547's or iForged Aero or Evos (not sure which) for my 03 Z06 (I'm open to other wheels, but so far those are what I have found that I like). I'm a wheel neophyte though and am in need of some edumication :bang:

EDIT: Just found the CCW 505A's... add them to the mix :yeadog:

I've pretty much settled on 18 front and 19 rear, but am not sure about the other part of the sizings. I know I don't want to do any cutting or tubing on the vette, so I'm wondering what the "recommended" size is? 18x9.5 and 19x11? What's the differences in the sizes? What does 18xXYZ mean? In searching the forum, I see folks that have wheels that are like 18x10 and 19x12 and am wondering if that's the way to go, pros and cons, etc.

Once I have the wheel size nailed down, I'll be looking for advice on what tire size is best for that particular wheel.

TIA. :mug:

#2 ·
If you like the iForge Aero, (that's what I have) I'd recommend checking out the CCW 500s. They look much the same, but are 1 piece wheels w/o the wheel bolts, so they're easier to keep clean. Also, they're now available in 18" as well as 19-20, so you can stagger fit. I like them better than the 505s, but I've had split spoke wheels before, and they're a bitch to polish. As to sizes w/o tubbing, ask John @ CCW for advice on width and backspacing. They can tell you definatively which is best.

#3 ·
The problem with 19" rims is the limited tire sizes that are available at present. With the new Z06 having 325/30/19 rear tires, more manufacturer's will step up and start making them in that size. As it stands now you are limited to 295/35/19 (too tall IMO), 305/30/19, 315/25/19, 345/30/19 and 355/25/19 the last two require tubbing. IMO 325/30/19 will fit on a 19x11 or 19x11.5 rim without tubbing.

#4 ·
IT L GO said:
The problem with 19" rims is the limited tire sizes that are available at present. With the new Z06 having 325/30/19 rear tires, more manufacturer's will step up and start making them in that size. As it stands now you are limited to 295/35/19 (too tall IMO), 305/30/19, 315/25/19, 345/30/19 and 355/25/19 the last two require tubbing. IMO 325/30/19 will fit on a 19x11 or 19x11.5 rim without tubbing.
Thank you for this. I've spent the better part of 2 hours trying to guess what the acceptable 18 and 19 inch tire sizes are. Do you happen to have a similar list for 18 inch tire sizes? I'm thinking if I wind up doing this, I'll probably go with the 315/25/19 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2). Having dealt with wet traction and the stock tires, I'm avoiding Goodyear like the plague.

#5 ·
I definitely wanted to stay with 18's for tire selection, and more sidwall for better straight line traction. You can check out my gallery to see pics of my Iforged Evo's to help further your decision.

#7 ·
I just ordered a set of Iforged classics in 18 X 9 1/2 & 19 X 12. They look kinda like the 547s with the split spokes. They
are also a forum dealer so they will give you a great deal. :thumb: If you order the Iforged wheels be sure to let them know you are a member of :z: .

#8 ·
aldrichc5 said:
I just ordered a set of Iforged classics in 18 X 9 1/2 & 19 X 12. They look kinda like the 547s with the split spokes. They
are also a forum dealer so they will give you a great deal. :thumb: If you order the Iforged wheels be sure to let them know you are a member of :z: .
I've had no luck finding any information on the iforged classics. It looks like their website hasn't been updated in years... Did you need to do any modifications to get the 19x12's on your vette? Ballpark price? Vendor? Thanks!!

#9 ·
http://www.iforged.com/mainl.html
Go here then go to the showroom to see all the different wheels, also they are in the list of vendors over to the right
<----. I going to do a mini tubb so I can run a wider tire.
After I saw a members car at a local car show with the HRE 541s with 19 X 12s on the rear I was hooked. He was running the Michelins 345s. You really notice the big meats on the rear. :thumb:

#14 ·
I have the 505's. They are great wheels, but they are hard to clean. Also, because of the deep dish aspect of them, it limits you if you want to change rotors and/or brake calipers. I would love to have Brembos installed, but they aint gonna work with these wheels.

#16 ·
Here is what I'm going to likely do. I can't seem to find a decent (IMO) selection of tires for an 18/19 wheel combination. Since I don't need new wheels right now, but I need new tires, I decided to wait for more manufacturers to start putting out tires for the C6, which will in turn fit my Z06 when I upgrade the wheels. I still need new tires though. I've decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I'm going to put a 275/40ZR17 on the front and 295/30(or 35, don't recall which it came in) ZR18 on the back. That should hold me over for another 15K miles or so, at which point I'll go ahead and replace the tires and rims all at once.

Thanks all for the advice and assistance. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.