Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first set of new tires for the Z on all 4 corners and noticed a few things. I was wondering if I was the only one.

First let me say that the old tires were not bald except on the outer edges from cornering hard.

Now I know the supercar tires are great but...

My first observation is that hard cornering maneuvers I could do with my old tires with no problems I can't do with the new tires without active handling engaging. Also the ABS seems to activate sooner than before.

The second is that at high speeds like 90 - 100 the car feels a little less stable and not as crisp with steering response.

I'm thinking it has to do with three things...

1. the additional rubber/tread on the new tires compared to the old tires make them give a little more.

2. New tires must have a coating on them that needs to wear off to give them maxium grip.

3. Since the tires are new, they have not had time to "mold" themselves to an individual car that they are put on.

Since I drove the car easy when it was new, I can't compare what the max performance was when the original tires were new compared to now. But I do feel a difference in max/near limit maneuvers between my old tires and the new ones.

Does anybody out there ever experience this?

Is there anybody out there that has gone through a couple set of tires and know if my theories have any truth?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody, somebody??

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
On most tires, the amount of tread depth is much more than what you see on the F1's, so a squirmmy feeling is not unusual. Since the F1 doesn't have that, that's probably not it.

I'd suggest checking your tire pressure. Some shops use machines that automatically inflate the tires to a preset pressure. I've seen some as high as 45 psi.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
One other thing - has the weather been colder since you changed tires? Your engine will be putting out more power and the tire compound will be harder.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
What Zoomin said is true.

Our F1 SC's only come w/ 8/32nd's tread when new. Most tires start with 10-11/32nd's tread depth.

The less tread the better on dry pavement. The only reason you have tread at all is to siphon water. Therefore.... if you were used to the handling of the SC's that were worn out, you will definitely see less dry traction with the new tires.

Wet traction should be improved on the other hand. Make sure you have @ 30 psi cold all the way around too. Over- inflation would certainly decrease rolling resistance and therefore traction also.

Be careful on your new tires until you get some miles on them.... hope this helps a little. :)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
What you're probably experiencing is the result of your old tires being worn to match the camber of your wheels, in other words the contact patch was worn to match the negative camber of the wheels. These tires are not "off-camber" when new.....they're flat, so a new tire will not sit quite as flat on the road as one that has been worn down a bit. It will have a slightly lower contact patch area. This is just my dumb theory but it kind of makes sense considering the fairly radical camber of the wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts