Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to get the windows on my 02 Z tinted. Where are some good places in the DFW area. I have already been told Earmark in Plano, but looking for some others as well. Also, is there a specific film or film type I should be looking for? I know the legal limit is 20% but how low can I go and not get bothered for it? Anyone know what the ticket cost is? ;)

Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know what the ticket cost. As long as you roll the windows down when stopped you probably won't have a problem. What I have heard is they won't give you an inspection sticker until it is removed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I didn't even think about getting it inspected.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just make sure who ever you use puts the little sticker (usually bottom corner of drivers window) between the tint and the window. It shows the tint complies and is legal for inspection or they will make you take it off.

Chris

Looking for a place myself to get mine done let me know if you find one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Legal in Texas is 35% and not 20% on side glass, and any range on the back glass. You find the right dealer and you can have whatever you want all the way around. If you go less than 35 on the sides you could be stopped and ticketed, by the five-O...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually it is 20% on the sides. I called the local PD and verified.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Check with DPS or A State inspection shop, Ive been told 35% too and failed an inspection with 20%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this gets real interesting (and by interesting I mean annoying). Here are the answers I got.
- Plano PD 20% (where I work)
- Frisco PD 25% (where I live)
- Local state inspection place 20%
- Local DPS Office 33%

Then I called Earmark in Plano and they said the darkest they can go is 28%. Wow, this is confusing!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had my truck done in Mesquite...10% on sides and 5% on the back.. take it over to Arliington to get it inspected... Heres the Irony of this.. i work in Iraq to fight the Taliban and rest of the **********.. and the guy who inspects my truck for the last three years.. yeah from Syria named Samir Mamood Mohammed....GO fockin figure!!! he actualy knows me by name...or remembers my sleeved tattooed arms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know the shops in East Tx will tell you 35% is legal and so do the troopers and locals. I asked before mine were tinted, I had 20% put on all the way around but he wouldn't put the legal sticker on. All my other rides were tinted legal but the vette just looks better with the dark windows.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Actually I just had my windows done here in MD and Its 35% to be legal, But our windows already have tint like most cars, Ours are I think 12% tinted, so that makes 88% visibility, SO if you had 35% tint it will make it average out to something like 30 something, so It wouldn't pass inspection, I still did 35% because I wanted a bit darker then the 50%, but I drive around without my front tag which is a big deal here in MD and When I was stoped by a State Tropper(before the tint) he told me nobody would mess with me about the front tag missing since it was a corvette as long as I took out the smoke tint cover from the rear license plate, Now I dont know what kind of negotiating they'll make with me about the tinted windows :coo:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Earmark in Plano on Parker Rd is a good place. They will do a very nice job. My wife's SUV of all things failed inspection due to 20% window tint on the front two windows. The place that did it (not Earmark) redid it in 35% for free.

My Vette and my Lightning are both 35% on the sides. That's the only sure way to go and not get hassled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For what it's worth. I had the windows in my '03 coupe tinted (by the dealer) and it took less then a year from the window rollers to start 'etching' the film. Granted the tint was guranteed for life, but it's a PIA to redo it all. So I left the windows in the Z un-tinted. Wasn't worth all the hassle.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Mike,

I live here in Frisco also and the Expert Tint next to Petes Pizza does great work. The guys name is Mike also. He has done both of my cars and I havent had any issues. He is a vette fan also :thumb:

Jason

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
TXMike, get your car lowered?

Mike, u get your car lowered? If not give me a call tommorrow, Sat and I'll help u out.
Wes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts