Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Z06 with 9K miles. I'm interested in getting an aftermarket shifter, and I wanted to get your opinions on them.

I don't want anything that will be considerably "stiffer" than the stock shifter. However, I am looking for shorter throws and the ability to more consistently and accurately hit the gears.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I have a hurst-it is stiffer, and the throws are shorter.

there's no question what gear you are in and you get there quickly. you can put the softer springs on it if that's what you like:thumb:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Dr.Z06, the only shifter for you is the Mallett. It uses the same base as the stock shifter, but not the rubber piece that makes the stock shifter sloppy feeling. The Mallett shifts as easy and has shorter, more direct throws...it's awesome. :yeadog: The only downside is the cost @ $450; but once you drive is around the block with the big :D on your face, you quickly forget about the $200 extra you have wisely invested in your Z. :thumb:

Bob ;)

·
Banned
809 Posts
All aftermarket shifters have the potential for noise depending on your car. I would consider cutting down the stock C5 shifter or try a C6 shifter before spending $450 on a Mallett. The Mallett is nice, but very $$ and the big drawback is that you only have two choices for shift knobs and neither is that great.

Here's a thread at CF about installing the C6 shifter into a C5.

C6 Shifter Install on a C5

Sal

·
Registered
882 Posts
The Hurst has short throws and is very exact. Just use the lightest outer springs only. The downside is the "rattle." I have tried all the fixes and still under load, the Hurst will have mechanical resonance. Hurst just designed a perfect tuning fork. :bmad:

You may want to look at the Breathless Performance Shifter. I have not heard of "noise." with this model. If other users have, hope they chime in! I may move on to this model. ;)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Buy the Hurst and it will build up your bicep :eyes:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a Hurst and like most aftermarket shifters- it's noticeably stiffer and noisier than the stocker. Can't comment about the Mallet other than it's $$$. I'd go with rpallas' comments as he has been dead on in the past.

You might try just cutting down your stocker. It might give you what you are seeking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you've got me pegged, rpallas - based on the responses so far, the Mallett sounds the most desirable. I'm not that concerned about the cost, so the extra $200 isn't that much of a disincentive. I'd rather pay the extra $$ and be happy than vice versa.

Also, thanks Salvador for the link on the C6 shifter install.

On a side note, I've found that the Z06 guys as a whole are much more helpful and knowledgeable than any other group on the Net. Anytime someone has a question on here, someone always comes up with good info for them - and it usually comes with a link or pictures or "how to" info. Anyway, the folks here make this site topnotch - I'm always bragging about it to local guys.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just installed the C6 shifter in three cars. Everyone is thrilled with the difference. It is not only shorter, but angled back so the odd gears (1,3,5) are not up against the dash. Also, the knob fits much better in your hand due to its shape. I really like mine. I originally went to a Hurst, pulled after one week. Too stiff, too noisy. Never did solve the noise issue, and I also had in only two springs and they were the lightest ones to boot.

I am not familiar with the Mallet, but I often wonder if the rubber that GM put in the shifter is there to soften the input to the transmission shafts. A lot of folks with aftermarket shifters seem to have issues down the road, at least more so than with the stock shifter. The C6 shifter also has this rubber so there has to be a reason for it, possibly other than noise.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Dr. Z06 said:
On a side note, I've found that the Z06 guys as a whole are much more helpful and knowledgeable than any other group on the Net. Anytime someone has a question on here, someone always comes up with good info for them - and it usually comes with a link or pictures or "how to" info. Anyway, the folks here make this site topnotch - I'm always bragging about it to local guys. Thanks again, John
I think you'll find that the people here know what their talking about instead of posting endless nonsense like other sites. Even the flames here if the occur are more interesting and usually end up in group hugs. :crazy:
The "search button" is my second best tool next to the Dremel! Before, during or after a mod -- there is alot of information on here. :z:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Dr. Z06 said:
Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you've got me pegged, rpallas - based on the responses so far, the Mallett sounds the most desirable. I'm not that concerned about the cost, so the extra $200 isn't that much of a disincentive. I'd rather pay the extra $$ and be happy than vice versa.

Also, thanks Salvador for the link on the C6 shifter install.

On a side note, I've found that the Z06 guys as a whole are much more helpful and knowledgeable than any other group on the Net. Anytime someone has a question on here, someone always comes up with good info for them - and it usually comes with a link or pictures or "how to" info. Anyway, the folks here make this site topnotch - I'm always bragging about it to local guys.

Thanks again,
John
Dr. Z06,

I cut down the stock shifter about 1 1/4" and it shortened the throw a little, but still has the rubbery, indirect shift feel. The Mallett goes directly into the gear you want with ease. My only issue with the Mallett is the smaller thread size for the two knobs offered, plus I felt the shaft should be shorter. I have customized mine by using a 9/16 x 18 die and I cut threads 1 1/2" down the shaft which gave it even shorter throws and sits level with your arm on the console. I now can use any of the standard knobs for the C5 or C6 shifter. I just bought the new C6 leather knob with carbon fiber insert and love the feel better than the other knobs I have tried including the Hardbar Chubby, MGW Pistol Grip, and round 2 1/4" billiard ball knob. Bottomline, I now have the ultimate shifter for the Z06! FYI.

Bob :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts