Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to take the plunge and do a cam, cai, and lt headers. I have spoken to a couple shops and have gotten different cam suggestions, and required parts… My 04 Z06 has 5500 miles on it, and seems to be about average for condition. I bought it @ 5k miles 2 months ago so I know little about it’s history except it appears to be a virgin mechanically.

One shop has me doing a milder cam, 220/224 with retainers, springs a chain , the lt headers, cai and a tune… no other changes.

The next shop has me with a little bigger cam 228/230, retainers, springs, NO chain, headers, cai, and a set of injectors and a tune. I spoke to this shop second and his take on the chain was mine was still fresh, so not needed and the injectors will be over 85-90% duty cycle so they should be changed…

My goal is a streetable weekend warrior car, with the emphasis on streetable. I am Hoping for 400+ hp. I live in Kalifornia so I have the smog cops I gotta deal with in about 4 yrs, so smog is a minor issue too, but I am willing to switch exhaust if I have to pass, but not the cam. I probably will go with the larger cam, and the injector guy, but I haven’t heard of many doing the header/cam upgrade having to injectors too.
Any suggestions, comments…

Any input is appreciated, :z:

Bob
Aka Rwdyryd

·
Registered
413 Posts
probably need a cam around 228/114* or bigger to get the 400rwhp. Bigger requires expert tuning or else street manners suffer. Anything above 224 would probably not pass Calif. smog test....probably not necessary to change chain or injectors. Good set of long tube headers (Kooks or LGM) and a 228/114* and air intake with good tuning will result in a fine running car with 400+rwhp....good luck.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Rwdyryd said:
I finally decided to take the plunge and do a cam, cai, and lt headers. I have spoken to a couple shops and have gotten different cam suggestions, and required parts… My 04 Z06 has 5500 miles on it, and seems to be about average for condition. I bought it @ 5k miles 2 months ago so I know little about it’s history except it appears to be a virgin mechanically.

One shop has me doing a milder cam, 220/224 with retainers, springs a chain , the lt headers, cai and a tune… no other changes.

The next shop has me with a little bigger cam 228/230, retainers, springs, NO chain, headers, cai, and a set of injectors and a tune. I spoke to this shop second and his take on the chain was mine was still fresh, so not needed and the injectors will be over 85-90% duty cycle so they should be changed…

My goal is a streetable weekend warrior car, with the emphasis on streetable. I am Hoping for 400+ hp. I live in Kalifornia so I have the smog cops I gotta deal with in about 4 yrs, so smog is a minor issue too, but I am willing to switch exhaust if I have to pass, but not the cam. I probably will go with the larger cam, and the injector guy, but I haven’t heard of many doing the header/cam upgrade having to injectors too.
Any suggestions, comments…

Any input is appreciated, :z:

Bob
Aka Rwdyryd
The second guy looks like he's leaning toward pulling at least 400 RWHP at some point. The larger injectors would let you increase your performance later with say ported heads, etc. His cam choice could be a sticking point with the smog cops. A 228/230 with a 112 would have a nice rump-ity idle quality and make good power but would probably not pass smog and may not even pass with a 114. We don't have smog laws yet so I can't address that issue. The question I would have for him before the works starts is has he installed this cam in a Z that passed smog? That is a big issue IMHO. Making power is not.

Good Luck on you build.

D.J.

·
Registered
214 Posts
224 is probably the max to pass smog. I'd suggest a LS in the 114 to 115 range too. A lopey cam sounds great and makes great power, but will beg alot of unnecessary questions at the inspection station.

A good set of heads and a tune will help big time. While you are at it, don't forget to upgrade atleast the pushrods (cheap), install some ARP head studs (a LS2 chain is a cheap upgrade too) and always install a new oil pump o ring. Change the airbox and port the throttle body.

Be advised, LT headers and hi flow cats will NOT pass the visual. Changing from LT back to stockers is alot of work and requires a retune of your computer. Re-installing the LT's will require another retune. Save your money. Unless you are going for max out put, the stock manifolds and ti cat backs are really not that bad.

Its up to you, but IMHO you are better off being a little conservative as as once you are id'd as a gross polluter, its a major pia as you can't register the car, can't sell it, and have to fix everything before your reg due date or incurr a penalty. If you wait too long it impacts your insurance.

Ever consider a magnusson sc? They are CARB approved and will net you over 420 rwhp for about the same as a h/c combo. I went the h/c route and if I were to do it again would seriously consider the magnusson s/c.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info... I am considering a SC, I saw A&A's special and it looks like a good deal. I was trying to get some HP without breaking the bank, but if my header, cai, cam & tune is ~$4k seems we're in SC territory. I read some of the instructions on Andy's site, and there is some cutting of stock parts involved. I wanted to try keep the car in 1 piece if at all possible, and keep the stock hood.

Andy's kit is ~5k, I assume not installed... so the parts are close to what I would spend on LT'S and a cam.

What can I expect for $'s and hp with a SC... (no cam or LT's).

Bob
04 Z06

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, Thanks for the heads-up, I was leaning towards a 224/224 112 lsa looks like that would be outta range too! :cry: More fuel for the SC direction... said and done on the p1sc installed is ~8k, alot of $'s but alot of HP too!?!

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't forget to figure in the cost of a forged shortblock...Andy's kit is great but the cheap pistons/high compression can only handle small amounts of boost.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts