Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Z up on some Rhino Ramps right now to change the oil and I noticed on the oil pan states something like "detrimental torque specs"? :-? Does anyone know if this is Detrimental? I know not to try to screw it through the engine block but I dont have a Torque wrench at the moment. Will it be ok untill I get a torquewrench. Also tips on drain time and 6Qts. Mobile 1 5w30 right?. Anything I am missing or any tips? Thanks! :usa: :z:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Torque spec on oil drain plug is only 18 ft-lbs. The pan is aluminum. Over tightening would be bad and that is probably what that warning means. I personally don't torque mine. Just snug it up good with a 15mm wrench.

I let mine drain until the stream stops and it starts to drip.

Fill will be 6.5-7.0 quarts depending on how much you get out.

Pour oil into the new filter before you screw it in. Will take about 0.5 quart. This will help get oil to the engine faster on subsequent startup. Make sure to lube the new oil filter gasket. Normally mine has oil dripping from the oil filter mount so this really isn't a problem.

Mobil 1 5w30 is factory fill and meets the GM Standard 4718M for the Z06 (though many other oils do as well). Note, the new Mobil 1 Extended Performance does not meet this standard for some reason.
:cheers:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I have 6 qts. so I will have to run out and get another. I wonder why the new Mobile 1 does not meet the standards? I hope they dont dis-continue the the regular 5w30. Wal mart has it on sale 5 qts. for $19.99 which is pretty good but makes me think they want to get rid of their remaining stock. Thinking about stocking up on some!! Thanks!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
To get all the oil out, the rear end of the car should be slightly higher than than the front. :cheers:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help fellas!! :thumb: Everything went smooth and I feel much more comfortable doing it myself. :yeadog: Got a little nervous driving up on the ramps without a ground guide but once I was up, it was pretty easy. I did elevate the rear end about 2 or 3 inches higher than the front and let her drain for about 2 hours. I am about to add just a bit more oil but other than that, piece of cake! :D Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Thanks for the help, I have 6 qts. so I will have to run out and get another. I wonder why the new Mobile 1 does not meet the standards? I hope they dont dis-continue the the regular 5w30.
As far as I know Mobil 1 is not going to discontinue the original "SuperSyn" formula. If they did, how could GM put Mobil 1 in at the factory if it didn't meet their spec?

Mobil 1 just added the Extended Performance (EP) oil.

If Mobil 1 stops making the stuff that meets the GM spec, there is always Amsoil ... both the 5w-30 and 10w-30 Amsoil meets the GM spec. :guiness:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I didn't know they took that many quarts.....

my old f-body took about 5-1/2-6

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
Thanks for all the help fellas!! :thumb: Everything went smooth and I feel much more comfortable doing it myself. :yeadog: Got a little nervous driving up on the ramps without a ground guide but once I was up, it was pretty easy. I did elevate the rear end about 2 or 3 inches higher than the front and let her drain for about 2 hours. I am about to add just a bit more oil but other than that, piece of cake! :D Thanks Again!
Nothing like the satisfaction that you get from doing a Job yourself :cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
I have the Z up on some Rhino Ramps right now to change the oil and I noticed on the oil pan states something like "detrimental torque specs"? :-? Does anyone know if this is Detrimental? I know not to try to screw it through the engine block but I dont have a Torque wrench at the moment. Will it be ok untill I get a torquewrench. Also tips on drain time and 6Qts. Mobile 1 5w30 right?. Anything I am missing or any tips? Thanks! :usa: :z:

Refers to the oil-pan not the drain plug. I've read somewhere that the oil pan is an structural part of engine and helps to stiffen it and align the bell housing. Since the block is Al it probably shouldn't be over-torqued since that would cause block distortion.

Here it is: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/50638/
The oil pan is cast aluminum and serves as a structural member of the engine. In fact, the bellhousing bolts directly to the oil pan to increase drivetrain stability. Also note the two oil pan “wings” directly under the exhaust manifold outlet that serve as oil reservoirs during high-g cornering.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
That is a work of art! :yeadog:

Remember when they were just like a stamped metal bucket? ;)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
I wonder why the new Mobile 1 does not meet the standards? I hope they dont dis-continue the the regular 5w30.
It really surprises me that the new Mobil 1 EP doesn't meet GM Standard 4718M. But, from everything I have read, the Supersyn will not be discontinued. Mobil 1 just added the 15k EP above the Supersyn, a synthetic blend Mobil Clean 7500 mile and a Mobil Clean 5000 conventional oil below it.

Now Mobil has a lineup very similar to AMSOILs 35k Series 2000/3000, 25k SAE Synthetics, and XL-7500 Synthetics.

Glad to hear you got it done okay. How's life in Saint Mary's these days? I was stationed on a Sub there from 00-02. :cheers:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Life is not too bad here, but it's definately not Oceanside CA! I am here for another year then I will head back to Cali. I really hate the bugs and the frogs that always seem to crawl into your car and die leaving a nasty stench! Oh, the pollen that dust's EVERYTHING is horible but I guess one good thing about the military is that they keep you moving arround alot. Overall, it's not bad.

·
Registered
882 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
I really hate the bugs and the frogs that always seem to crawl into your car and die leaving a nasty stench!
I remember the bugs, large enough that they have landing lights and need tower clearance to land. :D

But frogs? Sounds like some frog screens would be effective? Imagine starting up in the morning and having one toasted on the manifold? :rofl:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Just changed mine this week, automatically just put all 7 Qts. in. That 5 Qt. jug from Wal-Mart for $19.99 is what i bought also, 10W30 here in FL.

Jack

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
I really hate the bugs and the frogs that always seem to crawl into your car and die leaving a nasty stench! Oh, the pollen that dust's EVERYTHING is horible but I guess one good thing about the military is that they keep you moving arround alot. Overall, it's not bad.
Ya, I wasn't too fond of the gnats or the pollen either, but we had a good time down there and are enjoying Memphis as well. Two places I certainly wouldn't have guessed I live in 15 years ago. Seattle's next up for me, closer to my home of the SF Bay Area. :cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts