Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what peoples thought are on buying an 01 vs. a 02+? I know you get a bit more power and hud with the 02+ but with modding does it really matter??? Thanks for help in advance!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You may have to contend with the oil burning problem that plagued some of the 01's. The engines had to be re-ringed. If there is a particular 01 that you are looking at, get the VIN# and go to your GM dealer and have them pull the service history. It can tell you what repairs were made under warranty.

See this thread http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72621 it talks about this exact issue.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Typicallly, there is always some perceived value in getting the "first of anything."

That usually gets weighed against a later model with improvements, better performance, etc.

My recommendation? :ity: Get the newest car you can afford! And that assumes "normal" mileage - which for a Corvette is more typically on the low side than for a regular automobile.

Judging by the number of C5Zs produced - I think you will be well into your 90's or beyond before any of them achieve "collector" status! Even the early C3's are just starting to firm up. I'm in my 50's now - so I think I'll just mod mine and drive it!

·
Registered
878 Posts
check it out -do a consumption test -look at the records or warranty work if any-to me the difference is so slight between yrs-buy the car you like-if you get the color and mileagae you want-go for it-once modded whats the dif?? :idea:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
bud miller said:
check it out -do a consumption test -look at the records or warranty work if any-to me the difference is so slight between yrs-buy the car you like-if you get the color and mileagae you want-go for it-once modded whats the dif?? :idea:

Agreed -

I have an '01 and have not had any oil problems! Mine is a daily driver - with nearly 36K miles.

Some of the early '01s did have oil problems. I belong to 2 different Vette clubs - I have not met a single '01 Z06 owner that had an oil problem (granted the '01 Z06 is not very common).

Go for it - and have a ball!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If the '01 has no problems it's no big deal. It's still a 'Vette and you can still mod it the same.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
differences between 2001 & 2002:
1. The LS6 engine standard in the Z06 increased from 385 to 405 horsepower. Torque increased from 385 to 400 lb-ft.
2. Front fender badges for Z06 models included the 405 HP designation.
3. LS6 exhaust back pressure was reduced by 16%
4. Cam shaft was redesigned resulting in increased lift and a 5% increase in air flow
5. Valve spring material composition was changed to increase seat load by 14%.
6. LS6 intake and exhaust valves were a new, lighter design.
7. The valvetrain weight was reduced by 0.81 pounds, which improved valve seating at high rpm.
8.Airflow over the LS6 MAF sensor was increased by removing gridwork
9. MAF software was recalibrated
10. LS6 aircleaner housing had a larger intake
11. Wheels looked the same BUT they were cast spun instead of forged for a weight savings of 1.3 pounds per car
12. rear shock valving was changed
13. Improved clutch
14. Ticker front anti-sway bar
15. Modified steering rack to reduce the turning radius by 2 feet
16. New front brake pads
17. HUD was standard

:z:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, as an '01 owner, I can tell you that I really wanted an '02 or newer, until I realized that all the power differences between the 01 and 02+ was stuff I planned on changing anyway. It's quite easy to make up the 20hp difference and then some if you're planning on modding anyway. Plus, you can save a few grand in the meantime. You just don't get the cool 405hp badge on the side :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought an 01 Z06 with 7800 miles last year and I have NO regrets. No issues with 11000 miles now-no oil consumption, nothing. Buy a car based on how well it has been cared for and the deal you can get. If it is an 01, 02, 03 or whatever....you will be pleased with the Z06. I got a great deal and have put more mods on recently so the HP issue is a moot point (385 vs. 405) becasue you can get an 01 up on HP easy. Don't be scared by the people who do not have an 01. Ask 01 owners.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I love my 01 had the oil problem fixed no regrets had for 3 years and many many mods

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you are going to do the full range of bolts-ons or head & cam mod, there will be very little difference in power. Bolt-ons basically take out most of the intake / exhaust air flow changes that the 02 got to make the 20 more crank hp. The only thing not replaced with bolt-ons would be the cam. It was worth about 5 to 7 peak horse power. It did move the curve a bit. If you are doing a head & cam swap with bolt-ons, then no difference in performace between 01 & 02.

If you are looking to buy a Z06, I have just decided to sell my 01 Z06. I have it listed in the "For Sale" section. It has all of the normal desireable bolt-ons, GMPP extended warranty good thru 09/2005 and more. All 4 GYSC tires have less than 4,000 miles on them. Also, all of the stock parts such as Ti exhaust, plus some other items go along with the sale of the car. I am asking $29,500. PM me if you would like more information about the car.

Don

z06envy said:
Just curious what peoples thought are on buying an 01 vs. a 02+? I know you get a bit more power and hud with the 02+ but with modding does it really matter??? Thanks for help in advance!

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you can afford an 02 or newer, it is a slightly more developed car. The 01 was almost finished but GM couldn't quite meet their own deadline. If you can't afford it, the 01 is still a great car. It's sort similar to the ZR1 story. The 385 HP ones cam first then the 405 HP. the 405 HP ones were more refined and I think a little more desirable. Get a well taken car of car and enjoy yourself. GOOD LUCK.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
At least we can say we have the same cam as the C6 Z06 in our 2001 Z06's... :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was looking for a 02 or newer before I bought my prestine QS 01 w 17k miles on it..

All the equivalent mileage 02's were going for between 31+33k..

I got my 01 for 27k..That extra 4-7k difference made it a no brainer for me..I feel I got an exceptional deal and with the money I saved,I could almost swing a supercharger..Then no one would care about the 01 vs 02+ differences..

Good luck with your search..

:zboobie:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the info everyone.. Working on the best finance rates right now so should be getting one soon.

27k for your low mile 01, thats a sweet deal! The best I have seen up here is 32,500 for a 23k 01 MY with brand new tires. =(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts