Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 5,000 miles now on my Z06 with semi-aggressive driving. The rears are noticably thinner in thickness than the fronts.
I'm not sure but the rear end seems to slide a little easier now than when new. Is it me or do the rears get a little looser as they wear.

The reason I am asking is because on one rear I have picked up a nail and have a slowwwww leak, and I am trying to decide whether to patch it or to replace both rears (since I don't want tires with different tread depths).

Also are there any concerns about having new tires in the rear and tires up front with 5k on them?

I am going on a long trip the coming week-end and don't want any tires issues in the middle of I-5

Thanks,

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
If it is a nail in the treads, just have it patched. I have driven many tires with patches even on the race track.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hello,

I'd have it hot patched for now.Those tires are expensive.Don't replace them unless you really have to.I've had many tires patched and it works just fine.Also find a shop that will treat your rims with care.I've seen rims totally ruined from improper machines.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't think that you'll have much trouble whenever you do get new rears and the same fronts. I'm sure that most rear-drive sports cars find that rear tires need to be replaced more often than fronts, especially with aggressive driving. I'd patch it for now and try to get as much safe use out of the tires as possible, those babies are $$$$. Also, as the tires wear they will become a little harder, thus sliding and spinning a little easier, thus the tendency for the rear end to want to "wander" a little more.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I picked up two nails and had to use the repair kit after owning car for just 3 days. I had the tire repaired and have been running for over a month with no leaks or problems. To many $$$$ not to try and save.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I keep hearing guys getting the Michelin Pilot Sports. Same size in the rear, but they don't make the 265x40x17 for the fronts. However, they do make a 275x35x17 that fits perfectly. Also, the Michelin Sport provides a rim protector. On light contact with a curb, it could save a wheel.

Visit The Tire Rack's website. They have specs, prices, and tire road test ratings. The Bridgestone S-O3 Pole Position would be another great choice, but the last I heard, the biggest size for the rear is 285x35x18. They will have the 295 size soon. The fronts come in the stock size of 265x40x17. Also, you might consider the S-02 Pole position for the rear, as it comes in the stock size. The pro's at The Tire Rack can give you good advise.
The only problem might be in slightly different tread patterns....

HTH,:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts