Corvette Z06 Forum banner

does your rear bumper color match the rest of your car

  • Yes

    Votes: 29 48.3%
  • No

    Votes: 31 51.7%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to take my car back to the body shop tomorrow to fix a few imperfections in their work and was noticing the rear bumper seems to be a little darker than the rest of the car. I cant remember if it was like this before or not. i dont think they painted the rear bumper or not so i wanted to see if anyone elses rear bumper doesnt match?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I won't vote since I have an 04 MS :pp: but if it's any consolation to you, I noticed that my rear bumper cover is a shade off from the rest of the vehicle (seems lighter :crazy: but just oh so slight...the car has got to be clean to notice and you really have to look)...that's life in the fast lane I guess :eek::

I've had mine since August 04 and it was purchased new so this is from the factory :thumb:

Hey I just thought of something, maybe the General should add this option to the order form:

RPO Z007: Color match Bumper Covers to the vehicle :idea:

Don't seem to have this "problem" on our 04 Infiniti FX35 which is Brilliant Silver almost a perfect match for Machine Silver (fantastic paint job on this vehicle BTW), there is slight orangepeel but it's very, very minimal, you really gotta look for it :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,276 Posts
Mine looked matched in artificial light - but in bright sunlight was obviously different.

That was over 50,000 miles ago - the last time the paint shade was a concern of mine ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
LarryW said:
I won't vote since I have an 04 MS :pp: but if it's any consolation to you, I noticed that my rear bumper cover is a shade off from the rest of the vehicle (seems lighter :crazy: but just oh so slight...the car has got to be clean to notice and you really have to look)...that's life in the fast lane I guess :eek::

I've had mine since August 04 and it was purchased new so this is from the factory :thumb:

Hey I just thought of something, maybe the General should add this option to the order form:

RPO Z007: Color match Bumper Covers to the vehicle :idea:

Don't seem to have this "problem" on our 04 Infiniti FX35 which is Brilliant Silver almost a perfect match for Machine Silver (fantastic paint job on this vehicle BTW), there is slight orangepeel but it's very, very minimal, you really gotta look for it :)
I'm not sure on this one but I think they add a flex agent to the paint on flexible parts. The agent may tint the color just a little or it may change the flow properties of the coating. It may dry at a different rate than the rest of the car which may let the metallic sink to the bottom of the coating or make it not lay down which would stay closer to the top. The flex agent added to the clear coat may tint it also. They may have two different robotic stations that apply the coating to the car. One station for the ridge body panels and another station for the flexible front and rear bumpers. High metallic coating are a real PITA to color match because of some of the issues I outlined above.

Does your FX35 have a flex bumper on it? My hard bumpers on my Z71 Tahoe are painted and perfect in color match without any OP.

Just kind of shooting in the dark here without seeing BG's paint operation. I do know that the Federal requirement's our auto makers labor under are IMHO a major reason we have substandard paint on our cars. Solvent based paint products have, IMHO, much better flow properties. State and Federal VOC requirements drive what type coating/equipment that can be used and how many VOC's are acceptable. I am not a chemist just a guy that paints. I'm sure we have guys on this site that know one hell of alot more about this subject than I do. This is just my $.02 worth.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
I'm not sure on this one but I think they add a flex agent to the paint on flexible parts. The agent may tint the color just a little or it may change the flow properties of the coating. It may dry at a different rate than the rest of the car which may let the metallic sink to the bottom of the coating or make it not lay down which would stay closer to the top. The flex agent added to the clear coat may tint it also. They may have two different robotic stations that apply the coating to the car. One station for the ridge body panels and another station for the flexible front and rear bumpers. High metallic coating are a real PITA to color match because of some of the issues I outlined above.

Does your FX35 have a flex bumper on it? My hard bumpers on my Z71 Tahoe are painted and perfect in color match without any OP.

Just kind of shooting in the dark here without seeing BG's paint operation. I do know that the Federal requirement's our auto makers labor under are IMHO a major reason we have substandard paint on our cars. Solvent based paint products have, IMHO, much better flow properties. State and Federal VOC requirements drive what type coating/equipment that can be used and how many VOC's are acceptable. I am not a chemist just a guy that paints. I'm sure we have guys on this site that know one hell of alot more about this subject than I do. This is just my $.02 worth.

D.J.
D.J.

That's some very good info :thumb:; like RC45 pointed out, in the garage with artificial light, you really don't notice it. But when I wash the car outside, you can see some subtle difference. It's not something that I would complain about or would want to have repainted (definitely would NOT want to risk having a shop make it worse :D).

As far as I can tell, the bumper covers on the FX35 are the flex type.

The thing that I'm now beginning to realize (on both my FX35 and the Z), when it comes time to touch up minor paint chips with touchup paint, what a PITA it is to get the stuff to look halfway decent. I even tried that Langka stuff that they sell at the dealership which helped somewhat but because of the metallic feature of the paint, it's almost impossible to get any sort of decent match...again that's life in the fast lane :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,939 Posts
No problem with mine.
I have used flex agent in paint and have never seen a tint change. The bumper covers are painter separate from the car. If a different shade of primer surfacer used on the cover, say lighter on the body and darker on the cover, then the final outcome will be a different color shade because the metallics are extremely transparent.
Also, when spraying the metallic product, air pressure cannot vary, ie: the higher the air pressure the more the metallic flakes will stand up, the lower the pressure, the metallic flakes will lay down, which will result in a difference in shade.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,325 Posts
Mine shows different in some light.
OneQuickCoupe nailed it. :yeadog:

Over time the difference becomes more noticeable, especially if the car sees a lot of sun. I'm leaving my current wax (Zymol) for Adams, but with some misgivings, as Zymol offers a special wax for the flex pieces.

FWIW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
My 03 QS 10K mile always stored inside is a little off. I think it has to do with the metallic content. Silver is one of the hardest colors to match anyway. My friend has a very good an busy aircraft paint business and he HATES silver.

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Tony Skarbic said:
No problem with mine.
I have used flex agent in paint and have never seen a tint change. The bumper covers are painter separate from the car. If a different shade of primer surfacer used on the cover, say lighter on the body and darker on the cover, then the final outcome will be a different color shade because the metallics are extremely transparent.
Also, when spraying the metallic product, air pressure cannot vary, ie: the higher the air pressure the more the metallic flakes will stand up, the lower the pressure, the metallic flakes will lay down, which will result in a difference in shade.
You are correct on both points. Tinted primer and air pressure are both players when it comes to most coatings.

I for one hope the guys at G.M. read what has been said about this subject and do something about it. There has been many threads about the poor quality of the Corvette's paint. Both color matching of the panels and the orange peel issue. I don't know how many penny's it would take to fix the problem but would think it wouldn't take much. It may be as simple as controlling the paint booth's air flow. If the flexible parts are painted in a different booth than the ridged panels it could be a booth flow issue even if all other parameters are identical.

After all, what is the first thing people see when they look at a car. The paint job.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
i was told by a local body guy it was slightley off because of the different material used in the front/rear bumper covers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Not a 'vette story but does apply here:

When I purchased a new Silver Honda Civic for my daughter, the bumper has a small defect. I asked to have the bumper switched from one of the other Civics on the lot.

After a lot of work...none of the three other bumpers matched....we had to put the original bumper back on and touch up the defect. I even had to get the bozos at the dealer to view the car in the shade to see that they appeared to match in bright sunlight but did not match exactly in the shade.

Seems the bumper has to be painted at the exact same time with the same paint with the same primer at the same pressure on the same day, etc, etc. by the same painter as the rest of the car for them to match.

I also recently had some body work done on a Silver Honda Odyssey that, fortunately, did not involve the bumper. The paint matched the bumper just fine. :eek::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Stumbo said:
Not a 'vette story but does apply here: When I purchased a new Silver Honda Civic for my daughter, the bumper has a small defect. I asked to have the bumper switched from one of the other Civics on the lot. After a lot of work...none of the three other bumpers matched....we had to put the original bumper back on and touch up the defect.

Seems the bumper has to be painted at the exact same time with the same paint with the same primer at the same pressure on the same day, etc, etc. by the same painter as the rest of the car for them to match.
Only if you stand on one foot when you paint it. It doesn't hurt if there is a full moon.

The boys over at the dealership had to paint the wifes whole car to get it to match. She had a small repair on the pass side. Even had to repaint the mirrors. What a pain. When we picked it up I asked them how they got the paint to match so well? Well sir we just painted the whole thing. It came out great.
D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I own a paint shop myself and no my QS bumpers do not match. Anything painted silver off the car especially by another operator/gun/robot or at a different time/date will not match. When spraying silver, a temp. difference of 5 degrees, or an air pressure difference of 5 psi, will throw off the color. You car really notice it outside with the "6 o'clock sun effect" the evening sun almost magnifies right through the paint, showing any color difference on any color. I used to have a contract with general motors to repaint perfectly good pewter color sunfire front bumpers, that had factory paint, but they were nowhere near the color of the fenders. All the cars were leased returned cars, and they had a hard time selling these at auction because they looked like accidented and repaired cars. You could see the difference from 100 feet away.

I don't worry too much about the Z . It's really hard to see the color difference at 100mph anyways ! :zboobie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
here is a pic-http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/4511budswheels9wc-med.jpeg

i think the reflection of the rear panel will create some illusions in the sun that it doesn't look like its a match-but for a cheap chebby-thats about as good as it gets
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top