Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of Quicksilver Z06 about a month ago and noticed when washing the car a week later reddish brown "spots" behind the front tires and the side view mirrors. The spots are very tiny but there are hundreds of them. They will come of with very agressive rubbing. Any idea what this is and will it hurt my paint. I don't want to spend 6 hours taking each spot off by hand.
Help!!!

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000 Pewter coupe and my '01 MY as well [under the clear coat]. I was told that I was using the wrong tire dressing. Try Vinytex on your tires. I would suggest you use Zaino Claybar to get rid of those spots, alot less rubbing. Perhaps Carl [HCVONE] can elaborate[HE KNOWS HIS SHIT ABOUT THIS, BIG TIME!]. I DO KNOW THIS, DON'T OVER RUB! Regards FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes. You have to be careful what ture dressing you use. The absolute worse is Meguires long lasting tire dressing. I forgot what it's called. The regular stuff isn't bad, but the glossy stuff is awful. And if you let sit, I guess the heat/sun bake it in. And its hard to rub off....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the dealer must have used crappy tire dressing before I took delivery. Should I clay the car this soon (700 miles)? I always thought claying was bad for the paint and should be used rarely?
I guess I need help from you appearance gurus out there.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
50K, I sent HCVONE 1 of this forums moderators a PM on your behalf. I'm sure he will respond. He has helped me out getting my Z and other toys looking INCREDIBLE. FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Les, thanks!!! Tire dressing can and does cause damage. The Meguiar's tire gel is ok if you wipe the excess off, Zaino tire dressing will not harm your paint either. Get a clay bar and clay the areas (I would do the whole car) follow the directions, you can get tips off my site at www.hcvind.com and click on the Zaino button and then application tips. If that does not do the job then pickup some 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover at Pep Boys or that type store, the 3M is an abrasive product so when using do not rub real hard and you will be fine, as I said I would go the clay route first because clay is not abrasive and may do the trick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Had the car clayed Friday, they did a beautiful job. Drove it hard Friday nite. Sat. morning, Voila!! The same damn spots. Washed it Sat. afternoon, used different dressing (3rd kind), wiped it off 3x's and let the car sit. Took it to work this morning (2 miles) and what do I see? The same reddish brown spots. That's it, no more tire dressing!!!

Hey, if the worst thing that happens to me this week is I don't have shiny tires, I think I can live with it.

By the way, this is one awesome car!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts